Correlation? Controlling people.

allen-1

NES Member
I'm in CT for the summer. I checked the facebook feed for the neighborhood I live in just now, and there's a post from one of my neighbors, who I don't know. She posted last night asking people to remember that people have to get up early, and have kids, so please remember that and stop playing basket ball at night...

Yeah. Her post wasn't particularly well received by a couple of my neighbors. They basically replied that school's out and the kids are going to play outside and she can close her windows.

Given that it was 9:45 or so when she posted, I'm just glad she doesn't live on my street because I'm thinking we might not get along so well.

But since it's facebook, I looked at her profile - and the first thing that jumped out was her post the other day thanking kids for dying to save my right to bear arms.

Yeah - I don't think we're gonna be friends.

Am I just imagining shit or is this the liberal, tolerant progressive way? YOU can't have guns. YOU can't play ball at night because it's disturbing ME.

But since it's facebook, I looked at her profile - and the first thing that jumped out was her post the other day thanking kids for dying to save my right to bear arms.

I've read this 10 times and I'm confused. She supports your right to bear arms, and you are unhappy about it? Although, I'm not sure who she is referring to about "dying" to save this right. Soldiers? Maybe, but they don't really fight to preserve that right unless there was an actual invasion to take over the country.

I’m a curmudgeon who also has to get up early. I, too, would appreciate it if neighbors kept quiet by 10 pm on a week night. Fortunately, our neighbors are quiet and this is rarely an issue in our neighborhood.

I've read this 10 times and I'm confused. She supports your right to bear arms, and you are unhappy about it? Although, I'm not sure who she is referring to about "dying" to save this right. Soldiers? Maybe, but they don't really fight to preserve that right unless there was an actual invasion to take over the country.

I'm going to take a guess, and say that this is the quote in question. It's meant to be taken sarcastically.
00001.jpg

I'm in CT for the summer. I checked the facebook feed for the neighborhood I live in just now, and there's a post from one of my neighbors, who I don't know. She posted last night asking people to remember that people have to get up early, and have kids, so please remember that and stop playing basket ball at night...

Yeah. Her post wasn't particularly well received by a couple of my neighbors. They basically replied that school's out and the kids are going to play outside and she can close her windows.

Given that it was 9:45 or so when she posted, I'm just glad she doesn't live on my street because I'm thinking we might not get along so well.

Am I just imagining shit or is this the liberal, tolerant progressive way? YOU can't have guns. YOU can't play ball at night because it's disturbing ME.

No, this isn't exclusive to moonbats, although they are more prone to it.. it's just stereotypical "roiling fist new england busybody retard faceplant shitposting." We had a bunch of these cretinous retards in Fitchburg f***ing bitching about the noise the street sweeping machines make late at night in the spring when they start cleaning all the streets at night (to get rid of all the sand from the winter) because it's more efficient and they can cover more territory....

They look like this, kinda.... [rofl]

krav.jpg

Basically she just needs to get a life and well, shut the f*** up. [rofl]

-Mike

No offense but have you considered moving somewhere where you DONT have neighbors instead of expecting them not to do reasonable things at relatively reasonable hours?

1) I would love to, but I have to commute into Kendall Square, and we don't have the money for a 10 acre spread close to Boston.

2) It is reasonable to expect that some of your neighbors go to bed around 10 PM. If your neighbors have kids, they are likely putting them to bed much earlier. My wife gets up before 5 AM. I get up before 6 AM. It sucks, but that's what we have to do for our commutes.

3) Being considerate of your neighbors is a good thing.

As I said, we have quiet neighbors. In the 27 years we have been living there, I can remember one time when the neighbor's kid was working on his car in the driveway and had the radio blaring at 11 PM. I politely asked him to turn down the music and he was apologetic.

Asking people to not make a lot of noise at 9:45 p.m. is totally unreasonable. School's out, everyone must suffer.

I guess it depends upon what your definition of a "lot of noise" is. The kid next door and the kid across the street both have basketball hoops, and they and their friends play. Given that it was literally 100 degrees at my house yesterday, the windows were closed and the AC was on. I just don't see a couple of kids playing ball as a problem.

My only noise problem neighbor has an affinity for fireworks. Guy is probably 40 and will set off fireworks at 11pm on random days. Very annoying.

That just crosses the line into shithead territory. Like they have all night to blow shit up and they wait till 11 or midnight. There was a guy down the street from me that used to pop shit off at like 3 am but that only happened one night, it never happened again because I'm pretty sure someone throatpunched him or got the cops.

-Mike

That just crosses the line into shithead territory. Like they have all night to blow shit up and they wait till 11 or midnight. There was a guy down the street from me that used to pop shit off at like 3 am but that only happened one night, it never happened again because I'm pretty sure someone throatpunched him or got the cops.

Some years back, I heard someone firing a gun late at night. It was a quick flurry of shots. He repeated this several times, several weeks apart. I don't think they ever caught the guy.

Not imagining......progressivism = intolerance of any position that is contrary to their own

Libertarian/Conservatives for the most part are "You do "you"....I'll do "me"".....ie leave people the eff alone

Progressives = No one can do anything "WE" dont agree with and support
Agree with Most of your statement except lumping conservatives in with libertarians on the leave people alone thing. Most conservatives I know expect the government to pass laws that support their view of morality......you know....the whole gay marriage thing......along with the mainstream conservative view that growing a plant in your own back yard and smoking it should stay illegal.

Hard right conservatives imo are just as detrimental to individual liberty as liberals.

Glad I dont know the folks you're labeling "Conservatives" because they're nothing like the conservatives I know and have known my entire life.

I wonder if you're lumping people into the conservative bucket in the same way folks called Rep Paul Ryan or Fmr gov mittens romney "Conservatives"

Religious Right conservatives are every bit as controlling as left wing liberals -- they just want a different set of rules.

Glad I dont know the folks you're labeling "Conservatives" because they're nothing like the conservatives I know and have known my entire life.

I wonder if you're lumping people into the conservative bucket in the same way folks called Rep Paul Ryan or Fmr gov mittens romney "Conservatives"
I'm talking about Republicans that are between 40 and 70 years of age that are generally christian.....either catholic or fundamentalist baptists. Those are politically conservative Republican voters that expect the .Gov to legislate based on their beliefs of morality. I'm a catholic.....and know a TON of them. I get the stank eye often in conversation when I tell them that the gov has no reason to keep homosexuals from marrying......that a gay marriage in the eyes of the government has no negative impact on the sanctity of a Christian marriage. They don't like me much lol

The political spectrum is better described as a circle rather than a line.
There's plenty of authoritarian right-wingers just as there are authoritarian left-wingers.
This is a sample, but not one I necessarily agree with; just showing the general concept:
political-left-right-spectrum-3.0.1.jpg

See my previous statement.....I think you're trying to lump people into the "Conservative" bucket that are not in point of fact Conservative

I think pretty much everyone in the US considers the Christian Coalition to be conservative.

Conservative != libertarian.

I had a sister in law that ran outside and yelled at a paving crew in mid afternoon and told then to stop paving the street because the smell was keeping her 2 year old daughter from her afternoon nap. Yes.....she's a liberal moonbat.

I think you're making a bit of a reach likening an old hag's ways to anything 2A. She's probably the neighborhood's town gossip, or the grumpy people that are always yelling at people to get off lawns.

If she wants to be pissy, let her be pissy. She's probably been that way her whole life, and she isn't going to change now.

I think pretty much everyone in the US considers the Christian Coalition to be conservative.

Conservative != libertarian.
Correct. Someone like Rick Santorum is a good example. I don't think anyone can honestly argue he's not a "conservative," yet, he says stuff like this: "Santorum has said he does not believe a 'right to privacy' is part of the Constitution."
"He is against the legalization of cannabis, and believes that the federal law against it should be enforced in Colorado. He has voted in favor of increasing penalties for drug trafficking and possession, and for increased spending on drug control."
"He opposes same-sex marriage, saying the American public and their elected officials should decide on these 'incredibly important moral issues' rather than the Supreme Court."

ETA this gem: "In June 2011, Santorum said he would continue to 'fight very strongly against libertarian influence within the Republican Party and the conservative movement'."

Doesn't take much to find defective shitty jingoservatives, though. Especially in new england, in the boomer subset.

These are the same shitheads that go "buy american!" hurr durr! and then in the next breath are jerking off over ERPO and telling us how "nobody needs a machine gun" etc. There are f***ing TONS of these people around. And they watch Faux every night and call themselves conservative. Not very hard to find.

-Mike

Yep.
Still can't figure out how every person I know is a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, yet we still can't garner 2% of the vote (or whatever it takes) to get a third party.

Yep.
Still can't figure out how every person I know is a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, yet we still can't garner 2% of the vote (or whatever it takes) to get a third party.
If the Republican party would got the f*** off it's high horse and realize that the majority of Americans support marriage equality......and recognized in the platform that the churches can believe what they want.....and that a homosexual marriage in the government's eyes does nothing to harm christians......the Republican party would probably lock up the house, Senate, and White House for decades. I believe there are actually that many fiscal conservative/ social liberal folks out there.

Yep.
Third parties stand no chance when we are voting against an opponent rather than voting for a chosen candidate. When in our history have our candidates on either side not sucked?

So the expectation of quiet in a neighborhood after 10pm means you're a flaming liberal? Some of you guys need to log off of NES and get out more. May I suggest hitting the range?

If the Republican party would got the f*** off it's high horse and realize that the majority of Americans support marriage equality......and recognized in the platform that the churches can believe what they want.....and that a homosexual marriage in the government's eyes does nothing to harm christians......the Republican party would probably lock up the house, Senate, and White House for decades. I believe there are actually that many fiscal conservative/ social liberal folks out there.

Supporting marriage equality (which I do) is generally considered to be a libertarian or liberal viewpoint. It is generally not considered to be a conservative viewpoint.

Back
Top Bottom