cops seize firearms from brookline home

OK, so as Ive said a number of times, I'm new to MA.

However, I can't imagine how they can deny a FID.

And I'm sorry "its brookline" doesn't cut it.

If the chief refuses, It would seem to me that any court would overturn the refusal.

Terraformer? Len? Rob Boudrie??

Don

Brookline issues FIDS and restricted LTCs. In fact, I got personally lambasted by Scrivener for administering and signing off on a Brookline range test.

Brookline does, however, regard the background check as a scavenger hunt looking for an excuse to deny an LTC rather than a check to see if there is any legitimate reason that issuing one would compromise public safety. I remember one article where the licensing officer stated that approximately 25% of LTC applicants are approved.

I've also heard a story of a renewal in Brookline being denied for allegedly lying on the original application. The so-called lie? "No" to "have you ever been denied" when the applicant asked for ALP and was told "nope, target".

I believe he sued over the requirement of a range test and lost. If I am wrong about that, I'll owe him a beer or something.

It was a few years back, so I don't remember the details. I thought he won in Brookline District Court, but you know him better (well you actually know him) than I do.

It was a few years back, so I don't remember the details. I thought he won in Brookline District Court, but you know him better (well you actually know him) than I do.

Scriv handles a lot of cases - and I know he has won a whole bunch of them, so he may very well have scored some victories in Brookline.

Brookline issues FIDS and restricted LTCs. In fact, I got personally lambasted by Scrivener for administering and signing off on a Brookline range test.

Brookline does, however, regard the background check as a scavenger hunt looking for an excuse to deny an LTC rather than a check to see if there is any legitimate reason that issuing one would compromise public safety. I remember one article where the licensing officer stated that approximately 25% of LTC applicants are approved.

I've also heard a story of a renewal in Brookline being denied for allegedly lying on the original application. The so-called lie? "No" to "have you ever been denied" when the applicant asked for ALP and was told "nope, target".

The abuses by O'Leary and his appointed boot lickers are legendary...

According to Police Department records, only 32 gun licenses that allow owners to carry and conceal firearms were granted in 2004, after 72 such permits were granted in 2003. O'Leary could not be reached to comment on reasons for the sharp drop in licenses.

But Lau (whose case was settled in 2004) believes he and others had been victimized by police.

"I feel like I've been targeted," said Lau, whose gun license was unceremoniously stripped in a visit Brookline Police Sgt. Michael Raskin made to Lau's workplace to confiscate a firearm kept at work in a safe. "I felt [Raskin] treated me like a criminal," Lau said.

Lau acknowledged that a teenage son living in his home had had some scrapes with the law, and recalled being told by Raskin, "In my opinion, your home is not safe for firearms."

Lau said he had told Brookline Police that he would agree to store his three pistols at police headquarters, if that would result in a renewal of his license to carry.

"They told me that would not be necessary," Lau said.

According a June 2003 letter from the police department, the decision to revoke Kang Lu's gun license was based on a series of four unrelated reasons.

The first was a bizarre incident at the Coolidge Corner Library during which Lu, a regular visitor to the library, said he preferred to study there in the brightest part of the building. "I like it well lit," he said.

But on a weekday afternoon in June 2002, Lu said a library staff member approached him and said he had to leave his study table because he was told it was in the "children's section." He noted that no children were in that section of the library, but was told to leave the area anyway.

"I told the librarian 'If you believe I'm violating a law, call the police and see what they say.'"

A short time later, police arrived at the library, and Lu said officers told him that he was violating library policy and could be cited for trespassing if he did not clear the area. Lu then agreed to leave the children's section and the matter ended with no arrests and no other consequences, or so Lu thought.

In a June 24, 2003, letter to Lu from O'Leary, however, "the facts surrounding the incident you were involved in at the Coolidge Corner Library" was listed as the first among the reasons why Lu's license to carry was pulled.

The other reasons included what police allege were: "false statements" made on Lu's license application to Sgt. Raskin and other Brookline Police officers; "noise complaints in [Lu's] building;" and his "seeking counseling for psychological problems in April of 2003."
But the "false statements," Lu said, weren't false at all. One allegation had to do with his characterizing his occupation as an "active duty" officer in the U.S. Army. Raskin later concluded that Lu was an Army reservist, which he considered a "false statement." But an Army official was prepared to testify in court on Tuesday that Lu was considered to have active scholarship status in the Army as a medical student.

As for noise complaints, Lu said the accusation was preposterous. "There are at least 100 people who live in my building, and most of the time I'm out studying so I'm not there anyway."

http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/2005/02/if-this-doesnt-piss-you-off.html

This guy's holdings were all consistent with the maintenance of a milita. Right.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh, militia.

Me too, I'm watching Fox News....this O'leary guy is quite a character.

"The firearms have no use in a n area like this"

"...high powered machine guns, high powered rifles....this is a 100 round clip that goes into that rifle....there's no need for it"

This guy is a walking FAIL bomb. I can't even begin to explain how stupid he sounds.

I did LOL when she said he collapsed. I wonder what his screen name is on here.

Sure. A welfare check preceded by several days of stakeouts and a search warrant.

How gullible do they think we ar-

Never mind. This is Mass.

Here's the thing...I read this thread first, then it came out on the News. There is very little info on TV. According to the TV this man wasn't seen for a month (they don't mention by WHO) and were serving a wellness check (WHO asked for it?). So the good guys went over to his house and make sure he's ok. Then we don't anything of how they got it, why they went in, if they had a warrant, if he was home or ANYTHING. THEN they are "disturbed" by finding all these scary guns. And then Officer O'Leary, a douche nozzle if I've ever seen one, spews out every cliche an anti has ever spoken on camera with a dumb look on his face.

95% of the people who just saw that news report is CERTAIN those are illegal guns that would have killed 600 children, when in reality they would have probably sat in that guys house until he died and they were passed on to someone else who would keep them in a closet until THEY died.

I can't put my finger on it...but this whole thing makes me mad.

Here's the thing...I read this thread first, then it came out on the News. There is very little info on TV. According to the TV this man wasn't seen for a month (they don't mention by WHO) and were serving a wellness check (WHO asked for it?). So the good guys went over to his house and make sure he's ok. Then we don't anything of how they got it, why they went in, if they had a warrant, if he was home or ANYTHING. THEN they are "disturbed" by finding all these scary guns. And then Officer O'Leary, a douche nozzle if I've ever seen one, spews out every cliche an anti has ever spoken on camera with a dumb look on his face.

95% of the people who just saw that news report is CERTAIN those are illegal guns that would have killed 600 children, when in reality they would have probably sat in that guys house until he died and they were passed on to someone else who would keep them in a closet until THEY died.

I can't put my finger on it...but this whole thing makes me mad.

Ya, O'Leary's comments were stereotypical and made me throw up in my mouth. [puke]

"Becker's firearm license expired in the late '90s, and there was no record he had gotten rid of the weapons."

Did he have one of those "lifetime" licenses they used to issue in Mass?

So, wait. Let's say I talk to a guy at the range. I tell him I have this and that at home....blah blah blah. Technically, can he go "report" me for having firearms in my house, and then I can expect to be raided?

Yep, I could probably report all the people I see at the range with P-mags and theyll do a well being check for awb violations..

Good work(if it wasnt genuine) to go straight to the hospital, hopefully he gets himself a good firearms attorney and have no problem beating the majority of charges. Should have bought a safe.

And seriously on the fake suppressor on the uzi? ****ing moonbats.

...and channel 5 just called it an arsenal. It does look like there were 4-5 silencers on that table. Joe Shortsleeve or whatever his name is actually said "36 guns 14 OF THEM HIGHPOWERED!!!!! Also seized in the raid were gun silencers and ammunition made to penetrate bulletproof armor!"

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.... with the special emphasis on "HIGHPOWERED" I wish I could just jump in and ask Joe "Hey Joe, what makes the High powered gun "high powered", and does that make the rest Low Powered, and it safe?"

Brian O'Toole says "It makes me feel uncomfortable that I had no idea!"

Well at least his parents named him properly, what a Tool. Why would you have any idea what is in someone else's house? Why would it be your business? Do we have a right to know that your wife has a "massager" in her night stand that she pulls out after you fall asleep because you just don't measure up?

Video with PSH from some Brookline man-on-the-street interviews on Fox25:

Large cache of weapons found in Brookline home

--jcr

Brian O'Toole says "It makes me feel uncomfortable that I had no idea!"

Well at least his parents named him properly, what a Tool. Why would you have any idea what is in someone else's house? Why would it be your business? Do we have a right to know that your wife has a "massager" in her night stand that she pulls out after you fall asleep because you just don't measure up?

EFFING SHEEP!!! 'It's scary'...'I'm uncomfortable'.... [puke] [puke2] [puke] [puke2]

Last edited:
That Fox News video is funny as hell. Swords and knives?!?! No motive... Wow, this poor guy just loved his guns and kept his "arsenal" to himself. Brookline is a horrible place to live and have guns.

They "expired" (read: revoked) 1 million FIDs in 1998 by legislative fiat. 1 million people didn't know it. See our plaintiff Crampton in The Jarvis v. Village Vault suit. He was a victim of this.

There is a huge difference between "expired" and "revoked", as an "expired" license remains a protection from criminal conviction (note I didn't say prosecution - I know of cases where MA knowingly prosecutes for a "non crime" to coerce a plea bargain, inflict pain, and justify the actions of the police), as engaging int he licensed activity with an expired license is a civil violation, not a criminal offense (unless the applicant has been applied for a renewal and been rejected, or become statutorily ineligible for the license). Even a revocation does not remove this protection if it was for failure to file for a change of address.

This is why police departments are encouraged to keep copies of denied LTC applications on file in perpetuity. If someone is charged and uses the "expired license" defense, a scavenger hunt starts in which the DA's office attempts to locate a copy of a denied application filed after the expiration of the old license, thus terminating the protection from criminal prosecution.

what's this BS? "According to O'Leary, they became aware of Becker initially because of outstanding warrants issued for missed jury duty in Quincy."

Warrant issued for not showing for jury duty? isn't that the third or so excuse for why they showed up? first a wellness check then a complaint then a warrant? pick one Officer Toolbag!!

Back
Top Bottom