cops seize firearms from brookline home

Don't know if you've seen this.

In 2011 Indiana courts ruled that based on current law, people did not have the right to resist unlawful entry into their home by police.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_ec169697-a19e-525f-a532-81b3df229697.html

So in 2012 Indiana passed a law explicitly allowing citizens to use force to resist an unlawful entry by police. Ha.

http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/V...zens_to_Shoot_Law_Enforcement_Officers_120611

Wonder what the thought is on whether something like this would fly in MA.

Don

p.s. I've been told that CT has either a statute or case law that indicates the state's acceptance of a person's right to use force to resist unlawful entry by law enforcement, but have not ever been able to find a citation. (Don't bother googling it. Everything that comes up has to do with Indiana.

There's more to the story that the media isn't telling you.

I heard from a guy at the gas station across the street, that detectives had been watching the address for a few days, on suspicion that drug dealing activity was taking place there. I didn't see the search warrant, so I don't know what they were looking for, but the media made no mention of drugs.
Makes me wonder if they went looking for drugs, didn't find any, but found the guns instead and said "close enough".
Once they get a warrant, they're obligated to find something, right?

AP Journalism Style-Guide for FIREARMS reporting

A search at a [insert name of town] home uncovered a large cache of weapons.

Police searched [insert address] on [insert date] and recovered [insert number. example: 1 or more] firearms, including [insert number. example: 1 or more] high powered weapons, several silencers and a large collection of high powered ammunition capable of penetrating bulletproof vests.

[insert name of domestic terrorist] was arrested and charged with numerous firearms violations.

There is a picture of the PD's haul at:
Brookline Police seize weapons cache near Coolidge Corner

Circumstances around the arrest seem worse than first speculated on. Seems he believed he had a "lifetime" FID. It would be un-funny if in the end, the major time he does is that they weren't locked up.

Collection looks normal, if a bit redundant. I see what they are calling a silencer.

--jcr

Last edited:
There's more to the story that the media isn't telling you.

I heard from a guy at the gas station across the street, that detectives had been watching the address for a few days, on suspicion that drug dealing activity was taking place there. I didn't see the search warrant, so I don't know what they were looking for, but the media made no mention of drugs.
Makes me wonder if they went looking for drugs, didn't find any, but found the guns instead and said "close enough".
Once they get a warrant, they're obligated to find something, right?

you do realize that it's illegal to own firearms in Brookline, right?

well, it's not- but they don't issue LTCs or FIDs AT ALL in brookline. The COP there believes that he likes to keep his sheeple in a nice little flock that is controlled and safe. Which they are not. I have a few friends that have been assaulted there and had no means of defense.

Either way, this pisses me off. A bunch of AKs and the guy gets it up the ass. JFC

They're thumbhole AKs even.

The "silencer" appears to be a permanently attached fake suppressor designed to bring the Mac type gun up to a 16" bbl length. The ARs appear to be old school A2s so there's a decent chance they are pre-ban. Note that they do have flash hiders and most likely threaded bbls.

Re FIDs (and I'm probably going to sound naive)- isn't the FID a shall issue thing?

Re the AP style guide. If he had 2-4 firearms its a Cache. If he had more than 4, its an Arsenal.

Don

They're thumbhole AKs even.

The "silencer" appears to be a permanently attached fake suppressor designed to bring the Mac type gun up to a 16" bbl length. The ARs appear to be old school A2s so there's a decent chance they are pre-ban. Note that they do have flash hiders and most likely threaded bbls.

Re FIDs (and I'm probably going to sound naive)- isn't the FID a shall issue thing?

Don

not in brookline. Not. At. All.

and that collection looks that of an older guy that maybe had an old FID and moved into Brookline. This doesn't look "illegitimate" to me at all.

Last edited:
There is a picture of the PD's haul at:
Brookline Police seize weapons cache near Coolidge Corner

Looks normal, if a bit redundant. I see what they are calling a silencer.

--jcr

From the piehole of a drooling POS...

“All these weapons, 36 weapons, some of them high-powered rifles, one of them had a clip with 100 rounds in it, there is no need for that stuff in Brookline,” O’Leary said. “There’s no need for that stuff in the greater Boston area. Imagine if someone broke into the back of that house when nobody was in there and found the stuff.”

When police investigated further they located Becker’s father at an assisted living home. But police also discovered Richard Becker had owned 18 guns in the late 1990s his firearm identification card had expired in 1998, and there was no record that he had gotten rid of the weapons. Police also discovered two warrants for Becker’s arrest for failure to report to Norfolk County jury duty in Quincy.

That sounds like real slim justification/cause for a search warrant.

One lesson to be learned here... for those that have verboten items in their household and say "who's going to know?"... "they'll never find out"; unrelated incidents like this is all it takes for the man to come and seize all your toys.

Here is a gem from Brookline Police Chief:

Brookline Police Chief Daniel O’Leary said:
“All these weapons, 36 weapons, some of them high-powered rifles, one of them had a clip with 100 rounds in it, there is no need for that stuff in Brookline,” O’Leary said. “There’s no need for that stuff in the greater Boston area. Imagine if someone broke into the back of that house when nobody was in there and found the stuff.”

On the other hand, we can learn from the homeowner. This is a perfect example of the sound advice that has been given so often here on NES:

Becker, who fell ill when police took him into custody Monday, was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center where he was being held under the guard of police Tuesday, the chief said. He would not speak to police, said O'Leary, who added that at no time did police receive information that Becker had ever uttered any threats.

<snip>

Around 5 p.m. Monday, Becker came out the back door, and he was arrested, police said. He immediately fell to the ground and said he needed to go to the hospital. Police would not release Becker’s illness, but said he was expected to remain in the hospital overnight Tuesday.

ETA: LoginName beat me by a few minutes with the CoP's quote. But it is so bad it deserves to be repeated twice. [grin]

Last edited:
So, wait. Let's say I talk to a guy at the range. I tell him I have this and that at home....blah blah blah. Technically, can he go "report" me for having firearms in my house, and then I can expect to be raided?

I believe its encouraged under the see something, say something program ... Or hear something, rat like a bitch

"He will be arraigned on multiple charges Wednesday, including unlawful possession of firearms without a valid license, O’Leary said."

Sucks for you that live in the Communist Republic of Mass

Glad he was arrested , i feel safer knowing that the Norinco Mak 90s with the planet of the ape stocks are off the street ,and lets not forget the 2 evil black rifles and the commy sks. Another bullshit wellness check! So if i want to have my neighbors house searched without a warrant ill just call in a wellness check and hope he doesn't leave out a kitchen knife or it will be on the 10:00 News. More erosion of our personal rights anyone .

Actually, he may be immune from the criminal charges here. It's a civil penalty.

That does not prevent the State from pressing charges, even made up, frivolous charges, which, if he does not fight them (thus bankrupting himself) he'll lose and go to jail anyway.

Of course, do I believe our government could be so corrupt as to actually persecute someone in a case like this? Yes. I do.

That does not prevent the State from pressing charges, even made up, frivolous charges, which, if he does not fight them (thus bankrupting himself) he'll lose and go to jail anyway.

Of course, do I believe our government could be so corrupt as to actually persecute someone in a case like this? Yes. I do.

You and me both! [thinking]

OK, so as Ive said a number of times, I'm new to MA.

However, I can't imagine how they can deny a FID.

And I'm sorry "its brookline" doesn't cut it.

If the chief refuses, It would seem to me that any court would overturn the refusal.

Terraformer? Len? Rob Boudrie??

Don

Actually, he may be immune from the criminal charges here. It's a civil penalty.

The exact details of the charges are still unknown, but there's still the possibility that he could be a bayonet lug/threaded barrel away from being charged with a felony.[angry]

If the chief refuses, It would seem to me that any court would overturn the refusal.

Don

They "expired" (read: revoked) 1 million FIDs in 1998 by legislative fiat. 1 million people didn't know it. See our plaintiff Crampton in The Jarvis v. Village Vault suit. He was a victim of this.

Don

The article mentioned his fid had expired in 1998, which likely means he was one of the thousands of instant felons Mass created by expiring all the fids that had been issued without an expiration date.

Almost certainly, everything he has now he lawfully possessed when it was acquired.

He didn't apply for a renewal because he never knew his fid was expired. If he's been inactive in the sport for a long time he'd never have thought to check for new laws cropping up. Why would he?

eta: Ah heck. 'T' beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom