Cops kill Down Syndrome man

Status
Not open for further replies.
The business wanted him gone. They didn't want someone to buy him a ticket. Maybe parents shouldn't send an unruly son into public without someone who can handle him.

Actually, the business stated that he would have to purchase another ticket. The victim stated he didn't have enough money. Had anyone taken two more god damn minutes to discuss things, the caregiver could have paid, or the mother could have shown up to de-escalate the entire situation. Too bad law enforcement today is training as if 'merica is Iraq, so discussion and alternatives were never considered and escalation of force was the default behavior.

Think about that... the victim is dead by virtue of his mother being 2 minutes too late to save him from Jack Booted Thuggery... I guarantee the mother will lament those 2 minutes for the rest of her life. How about the cops? Think they give a rat's ass about the person they killed needlessly or were they giving each other high-fives like the cops from tazering death incident?

Last edited:
Postural asphyxiation doesn't require strength or force, and is apparently more common in obese people and complicated by Downs Syndrome.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I never messaged you. Why by truthful, right?

Tweet Tweet!

I am being truthful and bringing your true colors to light. Sorry - truth hurts.

So private businesses should be forced to deal with unruly patrons? They wanted him gone, he wouldn't leave.

Now you're being an ass. This was not a typical situation of a normal person trying to screw the theater. The cops are totally responsible for this tragedy. If they had any sense they would have told the manager to consider letting him sit there or maybe even offer to pay his ticket.

Actually, the business stated that he would have to purchase another ticket. The victim stated he didn't have enough money. Had anyone taken two more god damn minutes to discuss things, the caregiver could have paid, or the mother could have shown up to de-escalate the entire situation. Too bad law enforcement today is training as if 'merica is Iraq, so discussion and alternatives were never considered and escalation of force was the default behavior.

Ahhh. I didn't see that. Care give should have paid. Movie theater shouldn't have to shut down operations for a violent patron. I don't know what discussion, or lack thereof, took place.

- - - Updated - - -

Now you're being an ass. This was not a typical situation of a normal person trying to screw the theater. The cops are totally responsible for this tragedy. If they had any sense they would have told the manager to consider letting him sit there or maybe even offer to pay his ticket.

Not being an ass at all. You believe a private business should be forced to lose money and a theater of paying patrons should be inconvenienced?

- - - Updated - - -

I am being truthful and bringing your true colors to light. Sorry - truth hurts.

Sadly, you weren't truthful at all. Why let the facts get in the way though, right?

For someone who doesn't have the time to waste formulating an argument, you sure waste a lot of time.

And lie.

He punched a window and wouldn't leave. Again, a private business owner is forced to deal with an unruly individual?

He could have been better served by leaving when asked.

Did you miss the part about this being a DS person? I'm amazed at the lack of common sense by so many people including the manager and the cops.

Ahhh. I didn't see that. Care give should have paid. Movie theater shouldn't have to shut down operations for a violent patron. I don't know what discussion, or lack thereof, took place.

- - - Updated - - -

Not being an ass at all. You believe a private business should be forced to lose money and a theater of paying patrons should be inconvenienced?

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, you weren't truthful at all. Why let the facts get in the way though, right?

For someone who doesn't have the time to waste formulating an argument, you sure waste a lot of time.

And lie.

You should get some ointment for that butthurt

There is no way an 18 year old that was with him for only 3 months had the requisite skills or expertise to deal with him. There is a lot of blame here.

LMAO. What kind of dig was that? Needs more effort.

Hump hump! Huh, Martlet? Can I? Hump Hump.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no way an 18 year old that was with him for only 3 months had the requisite skills or expertise to deal with him. There is a lot of blame here.

Shhhh. Don't interrupt a good cop bashing with common sense.

Robert Ethan Saylor Case: Report Offers New Details On Death Of Man At Maryland Theater

Robert Ethan Saylor Case: Report Offers New Details On Death Of Man At Maryland Theater

FREDERICK, Md. -- Police tried to forcibly remove a man with Down syndrome from a Maryland theater with tragic results, despite warnings from his caretaker that her client would "freak out" if they touched or spoke to him, according to her statement contained in an investigative file released Monday.

Robert Ethan Saylor, 26, died of asphyxia minutes later, after three Frederick County Sheriff's deputies handcuffed the flailing, 294-pound man as he screamed, cursed and cried for his mother, witnesses say. Saylor's offense, according to the file documents: He had not purchased a ticket for a repeat viewing of the movie "Zero Dark Thirty."

The 98-page incident report and handwritten statements from 22 witnesses add new details to a case that remains in the spotlight six months after Saylor's death on Jan. 12. Critics continue to call for an independent investigation of the deputies' actions after a grand jury's decision in March not to indict them for what the state medical examiner's office has ruled a homicide.

The 18-year-old caretaker, whose name is redacted from the documents, wrote that she had been Saylor's caretaker for three months before he died.

She said Saylor, known to his family as Ethan, had a history of angry outbursts, including one earlier that night. They had already seen the movie once and were outside the Frederick theater when she asked Saylor if he was ready to go home. Saylor began cursing and punched a storefront window, she told police.

Somewhat frightened, the caretaker called Saylor's mother, Patti Saylor, of New Market.

"Patti told her to just wait him out and his attitude will change," an investigator wrote in a follow-up interview report.

The caretaker then spoke by phone with another of Saylor's caretakers. He advised her to leave Saylor in front of the theater while she got the car, giving him a few minutes alone to calm himself. But by the time she returned, Saylor had gone back into the theater and seated himself. As she walked in, a manager was telling Saylor he had to leave the auditorium.

"I explained, `Yes, we are having a little issue, I'll handle it. We just have to be patient," the caretaker wrote.

The manager then summoned one of the three deputies, Sgt. Rich Rochford. All of the deputies were moonlighting as mall security officers.

"Then a sheriff came and said, `Another show is starting. I have to go get him out,'" the caretaker wrote. "I explained Ethan is Down syndrome."

She said she told the officer that if he spoke to Saylor, "he will curse." She advised him to "wait it out."

"Then the sheriff went in and started talking to Ethan and Ethan was cursing at him," the woman wrote.

She said the officer threatened to arrest Saylor, a statement corroborated by other witnesses.

"I then said, `Please don't touch him, he will freak out,'" the caretaker wrote. "Next thing I know, there are I think three or four cops holding Ethan, trying to put him in handcuffs."

As the officers pulled the struggling Saylor from his seat and down an exit ramp, they went down out of view of most witnesses. One customer told police an officer had his knee on Saylor's lower back while the other deputies held Saylor's shoulders. At least two witnesses said the kneeling officer's knee was on the floor. Nobody reported seeing the officers touch Saylor's neck.

Saylor became unconscious, so the deputies rolled him over, by all accounts. The deputies couldn't find a pulse, so they removed the handcuffs and started chest compressions until he started breathing again, snoring but unconscious, according to all accounts. They asked the caretaker if she could wake him.

"I tapped him and said, `Wake up, Ethan,'" she wrote.

Saylor never regained consciousness, despite the efforts of ambulance workers who arrived soon afterward.

The state medical examiner's office found signs of "positional" asphyxia, or having been in a position in which he couldn't breathe. There was also unexplained damage to Saylor's larynx. The autopsy concluded Saylor would not have died had the officers not intervened. The autopsy also found that Saylor's developmental disability, obesity, atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and a heart abnormality contributed to the death.

A family lawyer, Joseph Espo, said had not yet read the report and could not comment.

Attorneys for the deputies and the sheriff's office didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

Earlier on HuffPost:

Postural asphyxiation doesn't require strength or force, and is apparently more common in obese people and complicated by Downs Syndrome.

Everything from the position one is laying in to the amount of physical strength used just prior can affect it but that is not a sufficient enough explanation on why the cop felt he needed to put his knee on Ethan's back in that situation. I'm sure someone can argue a crazy exception, but I seriously doubt a third officer needs to shove his knee into the back of an obese person with Down's syndrome. People that weigh that much don't get up very easily. Especially when they're retarded and crying for their mom.

the cops sure showed her how he should be dealt with

hopefully she can apply that new technique to future clients

Everything from the position one is laying in to the amount of physical strength used just prior can affect it but that is not a sufficient enough explanation on why the cop felt he needed to put his knee on Ethan's back in that situation. I'm sure someone can argue a crazy exception, but I seriously doubt a third officer needs to shove his knee into the back of an obese person with Down's syndrome. People that weigh that much don't get up very easily. Especially when they're retarded and crying for their mom.

Witness accounts on whether he had a knee in his back vary. That said, it's not easy to handcuff a 300 pound fighting man.

The business wanted him gone. They didn't want someone to buy him a ticket. Maybe parents shouldn't send an unruly son into public without someone who can handle him.

Did I mention that you're an ass? Such compassion for a man child with DS killed by cops over a movie ticket. Some people don't know when to STFU. You're as stubborn as Ethan but at least he had an excuse.

Did I mention that you're an ass? Such compassion for a man child with DS killed by cops over a movie ticket. Some people don't know when to STFU. You're as stubborn as Ethan but at least he had an excuse.

This isn't a discussion about compassion. It's a lynch mob screaming about NAZIs.

Witness accounts on whether he had a knee in his back vary. That said, it's not easy to handcuff a 300 pound fighting man.
which is why it may have been better for everyone if they had listened to the caregiver or sought further advice on the best way to handle a down syndrome person having an outburst if they had doubted the caregivers advice

many bad decisions in this one

Until you've raised a child with special needs/ DS, your opinions mean SHIT.

Until you are or were a cop...
Until you are or were in the military.....
Until you are or were President.......
Until you have or have had hemorrhoids....

Please, that is false argument.

the officers were removing an unruly patron from an establishment at the request of the establishment

The officers were under no obligation to DO ANYTHING. They are cops and cops ignore the law, refuse to enforce it and make it up on a daily basis. If those asshats had any common sense they could have resolved it peacefully. Just cause some bag-o'dicks buisiness owner tells them something, that does not mean they have to or should do it. "Hey cop, I got a loud dog next door. Can you shoot it?" Although, they just might....

This is a business that is open to public. If I have a ticket and unless I am attacking other customers, it is irrelevant what the “business” wants.

Are you saying handicap should be locked in a basement away from normal people just because they might act abnormal?

Again, it’s all about humanity and compassion. I am paying and agreeing to accept their authority because they are allegedly there to protect defenseless and weak. Instead these clowns look like this and now more and more act like this.

mp.jpg

Would you like to hear a joke?

A guy is standing on a ledge threatening suicide.
Wife calls the cops for help.
Cops show up and tell the man that suicide is illegal and that his under arrest and must come down from the ledge.
The man says – “No”.
So cops push him off the ledge to his death.

Oh yes you are. The theater was not going to lose any money and the patrons were not being inconvenienced until the JBTs showed up. If the JBTs would have waited as the assistant suggested I'm sure the theater would have gotten the goddam $12.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Unless Ethan was a gym rat, or two of the off duty cops were 4'11 females, two cops should have been able to restrain someone with an IQ of 40 without killing him.

I don't doubt the choice for the theater to ask the cops to have Ethan leave. Private businesses can do what they want, especially if it could cost them much needed revenue. Asking someone to leave is not a big deal regardless of the type of person, but I don't think they wanted it to end as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom