• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concern about FrogLube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said that that once before to a GF we both ended up with black eyes. Hers was from the floor. Mine was from her anger when I tried to ...... And she jumped across the bed like a frog

Anyone try astroglide? I hear you can fit a .45 down a 9mm barrel with that stuff...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get my hands on the stuff they coat machine tools for storage and shipping. It be great for guns I shoot maybe once a year .

like cosmoline?

The fine folks at the springfield armory(the national museum in Springfield MA , not the company by the same name in IL) use a wax product. They told me that wax is far superior to oil or grease because it does not have any volatile components.

Based on what I was told I found this company: http://www.restorationproduct.com/

It looks to be very effective although I have not yet purchased any.

Cosmoline is the devil. I hate it. It comes on all sorts of auto parts that I handle on a regular basis. It never wants to go away, it just wants to smear and get on everything. Don't like someone? Smear a little on the bottom of their tool box handle/door handle/etc.

Lol. So call me stupid but based on the sarcasm I'm seeing here frog lube is junk?

Or is it okay for the casual novice?

Or is it okay for the casual novice?

Why in the world would you think that some oil would be OK for a novice and some other oil wouldn't? For Christ sakes, it is just OIL. Lubricant. WTF.

This isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
I just bought some frog lube to try,
But usually I use hoppes, clp, and a little grease
For long term storage I use Johnson paste wax
Good for the metal and wood

Why in the world would you think that some oil would be OK for a novice and some other oil wouldn't? For Christ sakes, it is just OIL. Lubricant. WTF.

This isn't rocket science.
Because I'm not running 10k rounds through it a year, and my livelihood isn't one that requires a firearm. So I figured what LEO or military needs (life depends on the firearm working 100% of the time) is different than what I need shooting paper plates at the range.

And based on some of the comments here the impression isn't that frog lube is comparable to other oils, quite the opposite. Hence my confusion here.

Sorry dude lol.

Because I'm not running 10k rounds through it a year, and my livelihood isn't one that requires a firearm. So I figured what LEO or military needs (life depends on the firearm working 100% of the time) is different than what I need shooting paper plates at the range.

And based on some of the comments here the impression isn't that frog lube is comparable to other oils, quite the opposite. Hence my confusion here.

Sorry dude lol.

He is right. It is just oil. Pour what ever oil you have on hand on it and don't over think it.

I love Ballistol for storage, combined with VCI steets.
It does to rust what garlic does to vampires and what the Truth does to Liberals...

If youwant oil as a lubricant, its hard to beat Mobil 1 or Dexron ATF. The simple fact is that the lubrication needs of a firearm pale in comparison to the needs of an IC engine or an automatic transmission. You just can't compare the two.

From a storage perspective, its different. Oil itself works. But corrosion inhibitors that are added to the oil make a big difference. I would never use froglube as a lubricant. Most of what they claim is just pure idiocy to anyone with even a rudamentary understanding of how lubricants work.

But there is some decent evidence that Froglube is a pretty good corrosion inhibitor. I've seen a couple of tests where froglube was compared to things like regular motor oil and CLP. But I still wouldn't buy it.

If I need a spray preservative, I use Boeshield with VCI paper. If I need something a bit more permanent, I use AeroShell 2F storage fluid and VCI paper. I'm intrigued by cosmoline, but have never used it.

I was not pleased with Froglube in my experience with it. It smells great, though.

Good old dinosaur oil is wonderful for guns. Synthetic oil maybe even better.

There was a Froglube booth at Rainier Arms big sale shindig Saturday and I have to admit that it sure smells great. It reminded me of those wax vampire teeth I got for Halloween when I was a kid. I'll stick to using Militec-1 on my guns though [smile]

There was a Froglube booth at Rainier Arms big sale shindig Saturday and I have to admit that it sure smells great. It reminded me of those wax vampire teeth I got for Halloween when I was a kid. I'll stick to using Militec-1 on my guns though [smile]

crankcase additive guy is looking down on the roller coaster lube guy. A pecking order has been established

Hey everyone, I was was wondering if someone could provide any information/thoughts about FrogLube longevity. My concern is that the stuff is biodegradable. Thus.. over time.. FrogLube will eventually degrade rendering your firearm with out lubrication. Suppose I used FrogLube on my pistol and stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range? I contacted FrobLube a week ago about my concern and they have not replied back.

TurtleLube is better, my firearms love it.

crankcase additive guy is looking down on the roller coaster lube guy. A pecking order has been established

HA!!

- - - Updated - - -

I was not pleased with Froglube in my experience with it. It smells great, though.

Good old dinosaur oil is wonderful for guns. Synthetic oil maybe even better.

When it comes to smell, there is nothing better than Ballistol.

Hey everyone, I was was wondering if someone could provide any information/thoughts about FrogLube longevity. My concern is that the stuff is biodegradable. Thus.. over time.. FrogLube will eventually degrade rendering your firearm with out lubrication. Suppose I used FrogLube on my pistol and stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range? I contacted FrobLube a week ago about my concern and they have not replied back.

I too am concerned about frog lube. The price is ridiculously high. Try some synthetic motor oil which will probably never degrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom