• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concern about FrogLube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw for christs sake.......Three word answer.........C....L......P

Generations of military use can't be wrong. Its been cleaning lubing and protecting vaults full of military weapons for decades......the new fangled shit is .......just shit.

Seriously. Just use the freaking CLP and stop making frog lube threads every 2 hours. I don't understand why people obsess over all these fancy lubes. They are all effectively the same damn thing.

As I said... Kroil...

Go up to Acme in Londonderry to talk with Adam about it. He has it on the shelf (same price as CLP, but more in the bottle).

Otherwise, get some Hoppe's gun lube. Either the regular or synthetic. I have some in a precision application bottle (needle applicator). I apply a drop where needed, on some firearms.

I've been using Kroil to help another NES member in reconditioning a bunch of guns he picked up for short money. A little Kroil and they are moving nice and smooth. Of course, that's after cleaning X years of crap out of them.

Adam the one that gave me the tip about about using it in a ultra sonic cleaner.

Its good for cleaning and getting things that are stuck unstuck. Penetrating oils aren't made to keep some thing lubed.

Any one try way lube?
I figure if its good enough for lathes and bridgeports it's over kill for guns

Last edited:
Don't use froglube

^^this
my experiences with it were that it got all gummy after 2-3 months in storage. also i found at +4C (32F) it turns to a solid. no thanks.

with regards to longevity, being biodegradeable is a vague term....depends what is doing the degrading. honestly being stable to low pH (acid) and temperature stable is more important than whether some random fungi or bacteria can feed on it.

OK well right, on hand, now my alternative to FrogLube is Tetra gun grease but I have read from other forums that it can cause corrosion on stainless steel. Can anyone recommend a good grease/oil that is made for firearms (and not cars) that will not corrode and can be stored for a long period of time with out it biodegrading or edible for that matter [laugh]

I have never had issues with froglube, not sure what the fuss is about, makes everything super slick nevr had it gum up in the cold, it's a youtube myth.

It must work. It's made from real frogs.

Hey everyone, I was was wondering if someone could provide any information/thoughts about FrogLube longevity. My concern is that the stuff is biodegradable. Thus.. over time.. FrogLube will eventually degrade rendering your firearm with out lubrication. Suppose I used FrogLube on my pistol and stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range? I contacted FrobLube a week ago about my concern and they have not replied back.

I have a can of it and I am thinking about trying it out..... haven't hit a gun cleaning interval yet, though... [laugh]

-Mike

Me either. I still use Ballistol and CLP though.

I have never had issues with froglube, not sure what the fuss is about, makes everything super slick nevr had it gum up in the cold, it's a youtube myth.

Knock yourself out. When you stop posting we'll just realize it was your frog lubed-up gun at fault [laugh]

stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range?

After two years, most lubricants would have dried a good bit, possibly completely, or migrated out of where you wanted it.

Kroil is good to mix in my ultra sonic cleaner and that's about it . The only other time I'll use it in a gun is when I'm fitting a ak bcg to the rails if I get it jammed up a little kroil will help me getting it unstuck if a hammer doesn't do it.

I've used wd40 to lube my ar. I had used frog Lube and let my gun sit in the safe for a few weeks. Went to a car shoot.

4 times the bolt wouldn't lock up , 3-5 light primer strikes. I field stripped and took the by apart cleaned with wd40 and ran it like that till some one handed me real lube.

Why are you using WD40 as a lube? You do know that it isn't really designed for that purpose, right? It is a "water displacement" agent designed to prevent corrosion, but not as a primary lubricant (even though it has some mild lubricity).

Aw for christs sake.......Three word answer.........C....L......P

Generations of military use can't be wrong. Its been cleaning lubing and protecting vaults full of military weapons for decades......the new fangled shit is .......just shit.
^
This
Never have had a failure with it.
Even in sub zero temps

No commercial lubes are made for guns. You find something that was made for roller coasters, hair clippers, cars etc., repackage it, mark it up 1000%, and aggressively market it.

^Bingo! This is why stuff like Mobil 1 is perfect because you can get a whole quart for the cost of 4 ounces of "special" gun lube, and if you want it to be more of a CLP, then mix in some synthetic ATF for the cleaning agents.

Why are you using WD40 as a lube? You do know that it isn't really designed for that purpose, right? It is a "water displacement" agent designed to prevent corrosion, but not as a primary lubricant (even though it has some mild lubricity).
His exact words were he used wd40 until someone handed him some REAL lube

It was the only thing around . Used it to clean my gun at the range cause frog lube jammed it up.

I did probably 3-4 mags till some one gave me real lube .
My ar is a piston upper so I wasn't burning it off . After driving over a hour to a car shoot and my psl blowing up . I had to shoot lol .

It wasn't the smartest thing but it worked better then frog lube that day.

It was the only thing around . Used it to clean my gun at the range cause frog lube jammed it up.

I did probably 3-4 mags till some one gave me real lube .
My ar is a piston upper so I wasn't burning it off . After driving over a hour to a car shoot and my psl blowing up . I had to shoot lol .

It wasn't the smartest thing but it worked better then frog lube that day.

Gotcha, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

Some people swear by frog lube.
imagesF9Y10I40_zps0e058727.jpg

Anyone try astroglide? I hear you can fit a .45 down a 9mm barrel with that stuff...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Crap, I just bought some to try out. That was a waste of money. That's what I get for reading the FS endorsements LOL

Crap, I just bought some to try out. That was a waste of money. That's what I get for reading the FS endorsements LOL

Don't feel bad, I got sucked in about a year ago too based on a recommendation from a gun store. Shortly after that, some discussions surfaced on here that made me rethink using it, so its still sitting on a bench, and not on any of my guns.

- - - Updated - - -

I was half expecting it to burst into flames .

[laugh2]too funny![rofl]

I've used just about everything list here with the exception of Kroil... Frog Lube, BreakFree CLP, Hoppes, Outers, Tetra and Ballistol. I don't really notice much difference between them...

What I would consider more important is to check on your guns more that once a year or 2. I check mine once a month when they are put away for the winter checking for protectant cover, rust, issues... no product is perfect.

My biggest concern with Froglube is that is smells and tastes delicious. I swear I eat more than I put on my guns. It's seriously like paste, but for grownups.

That's because it's made from endangered species of frogs and toads. The exact combination of species is a trade secret, but they do put them in a pot of lightly salted water (water starts out cold), some fresh dill, rosemary and a little bit of lime juice. They then slowly turn the heat up until the water is gently simmering, leave it there for about 11 minutes, then turn the heat off. When cool, they drain off the water and remove the herbs, then slowly squeeze in a press, collecting the runoff (think of pressing apples for cider). The liquid is then stored in once used charred oak bourbon casks and aged for a minimum of three years. At that point they will start to bottle it for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom