• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concern about FrogLube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use half syn atf and half syn oil or clp for a light oil. I use tetra grease for sliding parts. Never an issue even with stainless.

With the ar. I just use clp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kroil and WD40 have there uses in gun maintenance, but they are not lubes.

I use Kroil on the first patch to get under the crap (on those rare occasions I clean my barrel).
WD40 is great if you've been out in the rain.

Froglube has no use, other than it was a cool gimmick that made people a lot of money.

OK well right, on hand, now my alternative to FrogLube is Tetra gun grease but I have read from other forums that it can cause corrosion on stainless steel. Can anyone recommend a good grease/oil that is made for firearms (and not cars) that will not corrode and can be stored for a long period of time with out it biodegrading or edible for that matter [laugh]

Mobil 1

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

Hey everyone, I was was wondering if someone could provide any information/thoughts about FrogLube longevity. My concern is that the stuff is biodegradable. Thus.. over time.. FrogLube will eventually degrade rendering your firearm with out lubrication. Suppose I used FrogLube on my pistol and stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range? I contacted FrobLube a week ago about my concern and they have not replied back.

You are going to get a hundred different opinions on here on lube. What it boils down to is that lube is lube. It all works if you maintain your firearm properly. I have froglube on a couple guns and love it. As for people claiming it jams their guns up, they must be doing something very wrong. Froglube, or any clp for that matter, doesn't jam a gun when applied properly. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

If you have a gun in the safe for years at a time, you should periodically check them anyway to make sure all is good with lube and reapply if needed.

1) Most every gun oil will eventually dry out or evaporate. That is why you should periodically clean and lubricate your guns.

2) If you want to store your gun for a long time without having to care for it, then you may want to slop on a lot of grease.

3) Why would anyone pay a gazillion dollars per ounce for Frog Lube when it is just repackaged roller coaster grease that you can buy for a lot less?

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?93495-FrogLube-behind-the-scenes-at-a-glance

Yes, your precious Frog Lube wasn't designed for guns either. It was designed for roller coasters.

4) Do you really think that gun oils are specifically designed for guns? Light lubricating oil is light lubricating oil and guns aren't a terribly demanding lubrication environment - temperatures and pressures are low and it isn't like you have a rotating cutter bit that is effectively covering a great deal of distance.

Instead of spending hours trying to find "the best" lubricant, put a few drops of synthetic motor oil on your slide and spend the remaining time dry firing.

Been using Kroil for a couple years now and have been happy. Will have to look into the CLP thing.

I've used just about everything list here with the exception of Kroil... Frog Lube, BreakFree CLP, Hoppes, Outers, Tetra and Ballistol. I don't really notice much difference between them...

What I would consider more important is to check on your guns more that once a year or 2. I check mine once a month when they are put away for the winter checking for protectant cover, rust, issues... no product is perfect.

Lots of the guys here on NES have over 100 firearms. It would be difficult to check them all once a month. When I went through boot camp,"back in the dark ages", we were taught to use WD40 for soaking overnight, cleaning and lubrication. I used it all through Nam as taught and never had rust or a failure. Granted, I don't use WD40 solely today because curiosity has caused me to try other things, but it's hard to knock a proven winner. I suspect that CLP has a proven track record as well but my head has difficulty grasping the concept of using something as thick as CLP for cleaning so I still use Hoppe's and WD40 for cleaning and rinsing and WD40 for soaking overnight after cleaning.

No commercial lubes are made for guns. You find something that was made for roller coasters, hair clippers, cars etc., repackage it, mark it up 1000%, and aggressively market it.

Pretty much this. A little bit of research can be very informative (MSDS give quite a bit of info).

Last edited:
FIRECLEAN!

did I miss an edition of Operators Monthly? Is this the new slickness?

btw... I got some free froglube from a class. I had a pesky BCG that was always giving me problems. I frog lubed it for shit. No problems since [ROFL]

I still wouldn't use it.

did I miss an edition of Operators Monthly? Is this the new slickness?

btw... I got some free froglube from a class. I had a pesky BCG that was always giving me problems. I frog lubed it for shit. No problems since [ROFL]

I still wouldn't use it.

Chris Costa unwound the duct tape on his arm to pimp it out sometime ago. Apparently it shoots carbon in the ****ing face so hard it doesn't even think about building up on your tactical ordnance delivery systems.

In real life, I use Hoppes because the fancy gun cleaning kit my mom gave me for Christmas came with a big bottle of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Froglube.jpg
    Froglube.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 376
The stuff to use on firearms that you collect or shoot far and between is eezox. The best rust protectant and it's a dry lube, if your going shooting, just add your favorite oil to it.

We hated CLP in the army. Sand stuck to it like a magnet. We used some synthetic stuff in a white spray can that I got from the armorer. I can't remember the name but it worked really well and sand wouldn't stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With or without froglube I would reapply lube if it sat longer than 6 months... Just the way I do it, no matter what brand of products I use.

These days i use a mixture i make myself. I mix Mobil 1 and Dextron ATF. Mainly because both have worked great for me and I couldn't make a choice. Ha. A bit of Acetone to help with cleaning and a bit of mineral spirits to thin it.

It goes on/in thin and then when the spirits and acetone evaporate, its basically a dexron/mobil1 mix. If I'm going to store the gun, I use aviation engine preservative oil.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom