• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concern about FrogLube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I was was wondering if someone could provide any information/thoughts about FrogLube longevity. My concern is that the stuff is biodegradable. Thus.. over time.. FrogLube will eventually degrade rendering your firearm with out lubrication. Suppose I used FrogLube on my pistol and stored it away for 2+ year - Would I have to reapply it after taking it out of storage before using it at the range? I contacted FrobLube a week ago about my concern and they have not replied back.

My biggest concern with Froglube is that is smells and tastes delicious. I swear I eat more than I put on my guns. It's seriously like paste, but for grownups.

I used it on lots of guns. It went rancid and turned from a slippery lube to tacky maple syrup, rendering my guns useless. I'm in the process of removing it from everything.

The range smelled great when we shot the tub of it.

OK well right now, on hand, my alternative to FrogLube is Tetra gun grease but I have read from other forums that it can cause corrosion on stainless steel. Can anyone recommend a good grease/oil that is made for firearms (and not cars) that will not corrode and can be stored for a long period of time with out it biodegrading or edible for that matter [laugh]

Last edited:
Why would you lube a gun with penetrating oil? Use a good lubricant like Mobil 1

Kroil is good to mix in my ultra sonic cleaner and that's about it . The only other time I'll use it in a gun is when I'm fitting a ak bcg to the rails if I get it jammed up a little kroil will help me getting it unstuck if a hammer doesn't do it.

I've used wd40 to lube my ar. I had used frog Lube and let my gun sit in the safe for a few weeks. Went to a car shoot.

4 times the bolt wouldn't lock up , 3-5 light primer strikes. I field stripped and took the by apart cleaned with wd40 and ran it like that till some one handed me real lube.

OK well right, on hand, now my alternative to FrogLube is Tetra gun grease but I have read from other forums that it can cause corrosion on stainless steel. Can anyone recommend a good grease/oil that is made for firearms (and not cars) that will not corrode and can be stored for a long period of time with out it biodegrading or edible for that matter [laugh]

As I said... Kroil...

Go up to Acme in Londonderry to talk with Adam about it. He has it on the shelf (same price as CLP, but more in the bottle).

Otherwise, get some Hoppe's gun lube. Either the regular or synthetic. I have some in a precision application bottle (needle applicator). I apply a drop where needed, on some firearms.

I've been using Kroil to help another NES member in reconditioning a bunch of guns he picked up for short money. A little Kroil and they are moving nice and smooth. Of course, that's after cleaning X years of crap out of them.

Last edited:
OK well right, on hand, now my alternative to FrogLube is Tetra gun grease but I have read from other forums that it can cause corrosion on stainless steel. Can anyone recommend a good grease/oil that is made for firearms (and not cars) that will not corrode and can be stored for a long period of time with out it biodegrading or edible for that matter [laugh]
Aw for christs sake.......Three word answer.........C....L......P

Generations of military use can't be wrong. Its been cleaning lubing and protecting vaults full of military weapons for decades......the new fangled shit is .......just shit.

No commercial lubes are made for guns. You find something that was made for roller coasters, hair clippers, cars etc., repackage it, mark it up 1000%, and aggressively market it.

Threw the years I have used almost every type of lube you can think of,and yes I even tried KY jelly which really does not work well. I found motor oil works just fine,Mil-Tech keeps the gun clean,and frog lube smell nice but sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom