Colt’s Manufacturing awarded $57M contract for M4 carbine rifles

jason19711971

NES Member
Colt’s Manufacturing awarded $57M contract for M4 carbine rifles

1000w_q95-6-min-1000x570.jpg

Over $5k per rifle?

Likely an IDIQ (indefinite delivery indefinite quantity) contract with up to $57m in total value over a multi-year period. The carbines would have a fixed price with the contract allowing the DoD to over batches of carbines as needed with a total budget of $57m.

the report said, 10000 to be delivered in 1 year. For 57 mil.

But there is a “as part of” clause in the first paragraph

Those sneaky bastards.

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly. Not a one will go into the hands of US troops?

The new 5.56mm carbine rifles to be supplied to Jordan, Morocco, Afghanistan, Senegal, Tunisia and Pakistan as part of the Foreign Military Sales.

And at some point in the future, will likely be being fired back at our own military.....time will tell.

I've never found any Colt gun, rifle or pistol to be any more accurate or robust than another brand of similar type. I refuse to pay for the pony logo.

Last edited:
FN manufactures the M4 for the US military. In 2012 the US military awarded the M4 contract to Remington, however Colt filed a lawsuit and tried to block the Remington contract. In 2013 because of the lawsuit the US military decided not to award the contract to Colt or Remington and awarded the contract to FN who is the current producers of the M4. The contract that Cold just received is for M4 to other countries military not the US.

And at some point in the future, will likely be being fired back at our own military.....time will tell.

I've never found any Colt gun, rifle or pistol to be any more accurate or robust than another brand of similar type. I refuse to pay for the pony logo.
It's called a dividend.

If I understand this correctly. Not a one will go into the hands of US troops?

The new 5.56mm carbine rifles to be supplied to Jordan, Morocco, Afghanistan, Senegal, Tunisia and Pakistan as part of the Foreign Military Sales.
We already have a half million in the armories.

The fact is that Colt AR's have been proven in combat to be reliable since the 1960's. gi When it comes to protecting the lives of my family and I, proven reliability and my own confidence in that Colt named AR matter to me. I'll pay for the Colt.

Last edited:
Crazy thought. Colt has had financial distress. From a national security standpoint we might not want that factory to close. This wouldn’t be the first time a .gov contract has been awarded to a company useful to national defense that we wanted to keep in business. Not saying I know this to be the case. Just a thought.

The fact is that Colt AR's have proven in combat to be reliable since the 1960's. When it comes to protecting the lives of my family and I, proven reliability and my own confidence in that Colt named AR matter to me. I'll pay for the Colt.

To each their own,[thumbsup] someone has to keep their money coming in its just not going to be me.

The Scottish broadsword has a longer track record of reliability. Doesn't mean I want one to defend myself. I don't think that Colt can even hold a candle to BCM, Noveske, LMT or KAC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of the brands you mentioned have been proven in battle or in hard military use. The question is can BCM, Noveske, LMT or Kac, holds a candle to Colt's proven dependability..

The Scottish broadsword has a longer track record of reliability. Doesn't mean I want one to defend myself. I don't think that Colt can even hold a candle to BCM, Noveske, LMT or KAC.

I would hope so considering that most of those product lines are more expensive. Colt is still a great brand for people to get big kid access at retail level without inbounding a gun.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of the brands you mentioned have been proven in battle or in hard military use. The question is can BCM, Noveske, LMT or Kac, holds a candle to Colt's proven dependability..

lol yes they can. not sure if serious.

I would hope so considering that most of those product lines are more expensive. Colt is still a great brand for people to get big kid access at retail level without inbounding a gun.

lol yes they can. not sure if serious.

What I'm saying is that I've seen full auto Colts, get abused over and over, for prolonged periods of time, without breaking down or cleaning. Target shooting isn't the same thing. Are you saying that you have this experience with the other brands mentioned? I'd like to know that they take the abuse like a Colt.

What I'm saying is that I've seen full auto Colts, get abused over and over, for prolonged periods of time, without breaking down or cleaning. Target shooting isn't the same thing. Are you saying that you have this experience with the other brands mentioned? I'd like to know that they take the abuse like a Colt.

I do, but read the Tier-guide on arfcom, it's pretty obvious, most if the better rifles including colt tick off the necessary boxes. The only thing that colt really sucks at is offering a wider variety of configurations. Fundamentally though, their rifles are pretty sound. As are BCM, Noveske, LMT, etc.

-Mike

I do, but read the Tier-guide on arfcom, it's pretty obvious, most if the better rifles including colt tick off the necessary boxes. The only thing that colt really sucks at is offering a wider variety of configurations. Fundamentally though, their rifles are pretty sound. As are BCM, Noveske, LMT, etc.

-Mike

Yup. I'm pretty sure all Colt fanboys would like to see more configurations available from Colt.. Are any of the brands mentioned, in military use at this time, that you know of?

Yup. I'm pretty sure all Colt fanboys would like to see more configurations available from Colt.. Are any of the brands mentioned, in military use at this time, that you know of?

"Military use" is a completely meaningless statistic to me wrt choosing a rifle. Likely some special ops units have used whatever they want, though. The fact remains thst various trainers test/abuse/beat these other brands just as hard as a Colt.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom