• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cocked hammers scare me

On the Beretta 92 it doesn’t just drop the hammer short of the firing pin, it actually rotates a connecting plunger so that the fitting pin cannot be hit.
I was just watching a video on that. Around the 3:00 mark he shows the plunger getting rotated by the de cocker, and later shows the pin block raising only when the trigger is pulled

View: https://youtu.be/0lQHex7Dres?si=LQp9_kesaZ0HLTMd

I have only one pistol with a decocker, a PPK/s. Works fine but I consciously, meaning not naturally like other pistols I guess is the best way to put it, point it in the safest place available when I activate it on a chambered round. Something about a loaded chamber and a hammer fall though it has the block in the way makes me a bit leery.

Write off all those "Wonder 9's". I tried to get into the 21st century with a Sig 938 but always worried about shooting my nuts off. I went back to my S&W Model 60 and it was a sigh of relief. If something works why fix it? I fell to the pressure of young upstarts calling me an old fart because of my choice of personal protection.

I held off on the new nines for a while. Last year I went on a buying spree and picked up 4 micro variations. For what they are their okay, light weight and do offer an ability to hold a good amount of ammunition compared to most older handguns but don't hold a candle to them by way of ergonomics and triggers. I like the heft of a revolver or 1911 but don't care much for the carry weight after a while sans with a shoulder rig. It's a tossup I guess depending on situations, concellibility, light and high capacity or accuracy, heavy, low capacity and really high power availability as in like a 460 if desired.

What made you drop the p365 in favor of Glock?
This:
Take this with a grain of salt, since it's about my subjective comfort level:

All of the internal safeties on a P365 have a single point of failure - the lug on the sear. I've found very, very few reported examples of strikers breaking in that spot and proteq on YouTube demonstrates how strong it is, but with that knowledge I just couldn't keep carrying it around my kid. That was my only concern and maybe it's overblown, idk. I really like that the Glock 43 that replaced my Sig has redundancies that make it physically impossible for it to be fired without the trigger being manipulated.

hard to get that cocked 1911 fear out of your head once you start to dwell on it. i use to carry a cocked and locked 1911. one day i decided to check the thumb safety. so next time at the range, i took the pistol out of the holster, unloaded the gun and pointed it down range. with the thumb safety on, pressed the trigger and was very, very surprised and shocked when the hammer dropped. repeated this a couple more times to make sure i didn't f*** up the test, same result...hammer dropped. yikes, glad they put that extra level of safe (grip safety) on the 1911. my advice would be check those safeties to be sure. but perfectly safe to carry c & l otherwise.

hard to get that cocked 1911 fear out of your head once you start to dwell on it. i use to carry a cocked and locked 1911. one day i decided to check the thumb safety. so next time at the range, i took the pistol out of the holster, unloaded the gun and pointed it down range. with the thumb safety on, pressed the trigger and was very, very surprised and shocked when the hammer dropped. repeated this a couple more times to make sure i didn't f*** up the test, same result...hammer dropped. yikes, glad they put that extra level of safe (grip safety) on the 1911. my advice would be check those safeties to be sure. but perfectly safe to carry c & l otherwise.
Every time you clean your 1911 you should check your safeties. With the thumb safety off, try to pull the trigger without depressing the grip safety. The hammer should not fall.

Grip the gun properly now, apply the safety, and pull the trigger. The hammer should not fall. Now lower the safety. The hammer should not fall. Now pull the trigger, the hammer should fall.

If your gun fails any of those tests, take it to a good 1911 gunsmith before carrying it again.

These tests will only take a few seconds. I’ve never had them fail, but better safe than sorry.

Every time you clean your 1911 you should check your safeties. With the thumb safety off, try to pull the trigger without depressing the grip safety. The hammer should not fall.

Grip the gun properly now, apply the safety, and pull the trigger. The hammer should not fall. Now lower the safety. The hammer should not fall. Now pull the trigger, the hammer should fall.

If your gun fails any of those tests, take it to a good 1911 gunsmith before carrying it again.

These tests will only take a few seconds. I’ve never had them fail, but better safe than sorry.
Just to add for the lesser experienced, a safety check before cleaning and a function check after should be applicable to ALL firearms.

I have never been really worried about carrying a 1911 in condition 1, and I have never worried about carrying a gun with a decocker or a gun with no safety..
I never put my finger inside the trigger guard unless I have a target in my sights, and I make sure I buy quality holsters that cover the trigger guard, even for pocket pistols.

Yes, I test safeties all the time, and clean my guns after each use, but....
1711664976059.gif

I remember when I first came back to NH and went to a Free State Project meeting where a guy was open carrying a 1911 cocked-and-locked on his hip. It was alarming at first because, coming from MA, I'd never seen that done before (outside of the Marine Corps), but I educated myself when I got home after that somewhat uncomfortable day, and now it doesn't bother me as long as the carrier isn't a dumbass.

I know, I’m a pussy, gay, etc. I’ve been carry an Sig 938 and it’s a SAO so the hammer is cocked if a round is chambered. Even with the safety on, I’m very “aware” of it and it makes me nervous.

I feel the same way about 1911s and any other gun with a hammer. I carried a Beretta for years, but always decocked it.

I know I’m worrying about something foolish, but there you have it.

Jesus, the only time I ever carried a 1911 uncocked was when I was an MP at Lejeune back in the 1970's and I only carried it that way because we were ORDERED to carry them in that condition.

Take this with a grain of salt, since it's about my subjective comfort level:

All of the internal safeties on a P365 have a single point of failure - the lug on the sear. I've found very, very few reported examples of strikers breaking in that spot and proteq on YouTube demonstrates how strong it is, but with that knowledge I just couldn't keep carrying it around my kid. That was my only concern and maybe it's overblown, idk. I really like that the Glock 43 that replaced my Sig has redundancies that make it physically impossible for it to be fired without the trigger being manipulated.
I'm no P365 expert but the Sig does also have a Firing Pin safety much like the Glock. Wouldn't that catch the striker should it come off the sear lug?

Edit: after watching a video on the P365 safeties, I see the Firing Pin safety interacts with the lug so if the lug on the sear broke off, it would be there to catch it. However, the video claimed the striker would no longer have the required mass to hit the primer with enough force without the sear lug attached.

Last edited:
Decocker Scared me on my beretta 92 the day I brought it home (inherited it) ONLY cause I was ignorant to its operation and thought it would act as a cocked safety.
I want to make it a decocker only variant like my carry

My daily carry is a SigPro 2022 and I just love the decocker

Now my CZ82,DA/SA has no deckcocker, you either carry it cocked and locked or you gotta ride the hammer down to decock it

Anyway don’t be afraid of the decocker

I just wanted to see how many times I could mention the word decocker
My Sig 2022 that I bought about 5 years ago was my first decocking pistol...it took me a while to trust it. Seeing how it actually worked helped me gain trust in it. Later I bought a CZ-75D(decocker) PCR and I had to see how it worked too before I'd trust that pistol as well. Now when I clean them, I just exercise it a few times to make sure it still works...

My Sig 2022 that I bought about 5 years ago was my first decocking pistol...it took me a while to trust it. Seeing how it actually worked helped me gain trust in it. Later I bought a CZ-75D(decocker) PCR and I had to see how it worked too before I'd trust that pistol as well. Now when I clean them, I just exercise it a few times to make sure it still works...
I love my 2022 it’s my main carry
The beretta decocker is in the safety so I was expecting it to lock cocked (was ignorant to its operation)

Back
Top Bottom