• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP: Springfield Armory Service grade... Gone, sold out, kaput.

Thanks, that would make it my oldest one I think and a very few older than me. LOL Also very possibly one my Mom handled at the factory.

I ordered and received a SA 6 mil M1 Garand when they were being sold last year. It has a CMP stock that I am going to work on before springtime. Re-crowned the barrel and it shoots very well.

Stepped away from this thread for a day or three... A very nice SA indeed!
Awesome that your Mom worked at Springfield. Must give you a deep sense of satisfaction knowing what she did to help this Grateful Nation.
My deepest respects,
~Matt

She was in the Navy at the time and worked there for just under a year. Graduate of a drafting trade school she was sent there to address drawing sets but in an all male trade she was shuffled first into the stock shop then the pattern room and finally product testing. As a farm girl she had been taught how to put rabbit in the pot. She always had access to the ranges at Camp Pendlton when I was young and later after I had served in the mid 60's I recall she could still camp there and draw weapons at the range till the early 70's when traveling in her motor-home.

Cheers
..MJ..

Yes I was very proud of her.

The HRAs appear to be in better condition than the SA. I have a 1942&52 SA service grade both with gi wood. The HRA is by far better condition and so far the best shooter. Although the 42 SA has better throat and chamber guage readings the loose fitting gi stock is holding it back...the 52 SA has some accuracy issues I have yet to take the time to solve.

From the CMP in an email this evening:

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER M1 GARANDS. In 2012 we announced that we expected to begin
accepting orders early in 2013. Because of the volume of rifle orders for all options,
we will not have the IHC rifles ready for several more months. All of our armorers
are now working to inspect and grade the other manufacturers for which we already
have received several thousand orders. Thank you for your patience.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL, RM1SASSP SOLD OUT. We have posted this
item as "sold out and not accepting orders" on the CMP web page. We do still have
inventory of this item but feel we have enough orders already received and in the
pipeline to us to completely sell out the remaining quantity. We request that customers
who have submitted an order for this item to not contact us to see if they "made
the cut". We expect to fill all orders, but will contact the customer if we cannot.
Thank you for your support.

Has anyone ordered a SA barrelled receiver? Wondering
if it may be worth it to go that route?
I considered it for a while. I think if you have been stocking up on parts over the years you could do one well enough. I wonder how good the barrels are listed as service grades? Any how
Barreled reciever 365 shipped stock set 150 shipped your at 500+ already.....get your order in (fax it or over night it) for a HRA field or service grade or special before they announce sold out on those. Im tempted to order a few more and pray I save the funds by delivery but I just bought a creedmoor 03a4 clone and a m44

Wow... I'm glad I got one in December now the question is do I need a second h and r as well? Or should I wait and grab an ihc?

Buy as many as you can afford. i still regret that i only bought one M1 carbine when the service grades were $500 . (it was less than 2 years ago). Good luck finding a similar one now for twice that.

I think we're blowing this out of proportion just a tad. The CMP only had a few hundred SA SGS to begin with. Orest predicted the SGS would only last a couple months back before Thanksgiving. SA SGS were expected to sell out about now anyways. I don't think the FG & SG Springfields are sold out, I believe they stopped accepting orders for them right now because they are totally overwhelmed with orders and can't keep up with the demand. Orest has said (I'm paraphrasing) that he doesn't want to have to tell customers that they'll have to wait a year to receive their rifles.

That being said, the supply of M1 rifles is not infinite. Orest still estimates that we have a 1-2 year supply of M1 rifles, unless this panic buying continues. HRA's are great rifles. I love mine. If you can afford an HRA now, buy one. You won't be disappointed.

The only bad USGI M1 Garand is the one you don't own.

Mine went to sales on January31. For Service grade. I also ordered 400 rnds of Greek M2 ball and 5000rnds of .22 Agula. No problem with the Greek but the .22 is on back order.

I missed the Service Grade Special part.

I did win a Garand Drill Rifle Receiver Welded SN 6084050 from the CMP. I don't know why but I will build and fire it.

I think we're blowing this out of proportion just a tad. The CMP only had a few hundred SA SGS to begin with. Orest predicted the SGS would only last a couple months back before Thanksgiving. SA SGS were expected to sell out about now anyways. I don't think the FG & SG Springfields are sold out, I believe they stopped accepting orders for them right now because they are totally overwhelmed with orders and can't keep up with the demand. Orest has said (I'm paraphrasing) that he doesn't want to have to tell customers that they'll have to wait a year to receive their rifles.

That being said, the supply of M1 rifles is not infinite. Orest still estimates that we have a 1-2 year supply of M1 rifles, unless this panic buying continues. HRA's are great rifles. I love mine. If you can afford an HRA now, buy one. You won't be disappointed.

QFT

- - - Updated - - -

I did win a Garand Drill Rifle Receiver Welded SN 6084050 from the CMP. I don't know why but I will build and fire it.
I for one have never understood the whole appeal to the 6M Springfields. It's a ****ing numerical accident.

I wanna throw this out there to quell the CMP panic since they have stopped accepting orders for SA FG & SG rifles. This quote is from Orest on the CMP forums. He is the COO of the CMP.
Question from member:
Hi Orest and Not Orest,In a recent post you indicated that there were about 2-3 years of stock available unless panic buying ensued. Since it seems that we have reached a state of panic, would you be willing to comment on the percentage increase in the rate of sales over the past few months and also, could you revise that 2-3 years figure to how long the expected stock will last if the current rate of sale continues until all stock is sold? I'm trying to budget for my next rifle and need to plan and also, I'm just curious.
Thanks.

Orest's reply:
2-3 years remaining. Of course it is entirely possible that towards the end all we will have is welded drill rifles (wall hangers).

What's to understand, I saw it and bought it. I do that a lot.
Sorry, I didn't mean that as a dig against you--just commenting that I didn't understand the big hooplah late last year when the 6M Springfields were released and everyone went nuts.

Terrence, my comment was not panic buying. i am taking the long view. over 2 years, I watched the carbine's dwindle away andonly bought one. thought i had time. If i had bought 4 a year, I would have had 8. one of every manufacturer, a bavarian etc.. with an average price os $550. looking at these things at $700+ and up really wakes me up to it.

if i can buy a couple/ three Garands a year until they run out, i dont expect to have any regrets.........like last time

Mine went to sales on January31. For Service grade. I also ordered 400 rnds of Greek M2 ball and 5000rnds of .22 Agula. No problem with the Greek but the .22 is on back order.

My SASG order also went to sales on 01/31 and I ordered 5 cans of ammo with it also. I can't wait, hope it shows up sometime soon. I feel like I am looking forward to Christmas.

Terrence, my comment was not panic buying. i am taking the long view. over 2 years, I watched the carbine's dwindle away andonly bought one. thought i had time. If i had bought 4 a year, I would have had 8. one of every manufacturer, a bavarian etc.. with an average price os $550. looking at these things at $700+ and up really wakes me up to it.

if i can buy a couple/ three Garands a year until they run out, i dont expect to have any regrets.........like last time
Hey 40, my reply wasn't directed at anyone. I'm sorry if it sounded like it was directed at you. Buy as many as you can as often as you can [cheers]. Once they're gone we will all regret not buying more when they were available.

Back
Top Bottom