Clubs NOT run by Fudds

Taking a roll call - what clubs in Mass and southern NH are NOT run by Fudds? Of course those other than HSC which is a gift to shooters IMHO.

Unfortunately, mine is heavy into FUDDery. We are starting a range use committee this week, and I'm going to be volunteering to be the range officer for 2013. Getting involved is the only way to get things to change.....

I'd say Westwood Gun Club, although some rules had to get tightened up after that unfortunate machine-pistol accident a couple years back (which did not happen at our club!)

Unfortunately, mine is heavy into FUDDery. We are starting a range use committee this week, and I'm going to be volunteering to be the range officer for 2013. Getting involved is the only way to get things to change.....

This. If you don't like your club policies, grab the bull by the balls and get them changed. Make it happen.

Also have to give props to HSA; have had nothing but great experiences there. Rules all seem common sense to me, no fuddery.

It wasn't always this way. 20 years ago, that club was a "max 5 round loaded, lead ammo 1000 fps indoors max, don't let us catch you shooting fast" club.

Funny thing - it was actually the older members on the board that supported the changes that eliminated the fuddery. Two of them have fired their last shot, and one member who spent years saying he would never serve on the board has been conscripted as president and doing a great job.

HSC Kicks serious ass. :) Love that place.

HSC is a gift from God. I am a member there and at another club closer to where I live. I cannot believe how unbelievable the attitude of HSC management is. They are incredible (in a good way).

- - - Updated - - -

Hopkinton Sportsmans has an excellent board and no FUDDary...some common sense rules but nothing silly.

Just spent some time on the HSA site and couldn't tell - Do they allow defensive pistol practice. Namely, drawing from a holster and firing? Firing pistols at CQB distances?

I haven't seen too much fuddery at the Chester Rod & Gun Club up in Chester, NH, near Manchester.
On my second year as a member there. Common sense safety is the main rule.

Last edited:
Hopkinton gets another vote from me. I got along well with most (except for the guys in camo that showed up right before deer season), and due to moving, will be sending my key card back to the club in two days. With great sadness.

Am near 2A now, guess that means looking for a new club.

Getting involved is the only way to get things to change.....

Darn right. It takes hard work and patience, but it is the only way. After many years, I helped get rid of the "no concealed carry" rule at my club. It can be done, but don't expect it to be fast or easy.

Hopkinton. Very sensible rules. I think the only one I would lobby to change would be no steel core ammo. Other than that, it's awesome.

steel core ruins/destroys AR500 plates. if you're only shooting into dirt, who cares? But don't ruin your club's steel plates unless you plan on paying for new ones.

MRA has a ton of odd rules but I do controlled fire indoors with my AR and no one has ever said shit. 30rd mags (your discretion of what the mfg. is) is all I use up there and no one has ever asked about ban stuff.

Probably kind of far from the OP, but Franklin County Sportman's Club (www.fclsc.org) in Deerfield MA is awesome; few stupid rules, three pistol ranges (one of which has permanent steel plate targets installed) and 100/200yd rifle range, plus a bunch of trap fields, an archery range, and an indoor range open 24/7...tough to beat in this area for facilities. Only crappy things are that Vermont Yankee security takes over the rifle range several weeks a year for "training" and that guests aren't supposed to bring their own guns (yeah, like that's gonna happen) and you can't bring more than one guest at a time. Otherwise great, especially for those of us who work weird hours, almost no one there during normal working hours to bother you, and almost everyone I've encountered has been wicked cool, including one guy who let me shoot about 70 bucks worth of .50BMG rounds and refused to accept any repayment because "everyone should get to shoot a Barrett"

Last edited:
Londonderry Fish and Game. Absolutely fantastic club. It's well run and the president is a stand up type of guy. The range rules are safety oriented without the "fudd" nonsense over and above what is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom