Clubs NOT run by Fudds

Another vote for HSA (Hopkinton) great members and a great board. At other clubs when your getting ready for a 3gun match, you'll catch flack from the bullseye guys, high power and trap guys. High power doesn't understand why your shooting ARs at 25 yards, bullseye thinks your shooting too fast and shotgun can't understand why you need more than two shells at a time. This mindset doesn't exist at HSA everyone seems to understand the roles of all the different sports and fully supports them. I'll go for 2 hours and spend half of it just shooting the shit with other members and board members since everyone gets along. It's great.

And yes, the steel core ammo rule is because we do have some members that like to blow apart the AR500 steel on the rifle ranges. I'm sure mos don't even know they are using steel cored, but... There's a magnet out there to check it.

As far as I know the steel core prohibition at hopkinton is due to ricochet possibilities of skipping one over the berm. I believe there was an incident at another local club that prompted the rule.

People are nice but the rules are Ridiculous if you wish to do any sort of fun shooting at Billerica R&G. Ammo limits, second in between shots, etc.

People are quite nice, but it's a FUDD club.
Limit you to 5 rounds on the range, but not "require" eye protection while shooting trap?

BILLERICA Rod & Gun is where Elmer FUDD looks for Wabbits.

Shoot a watermelon, let me know what they say [laugh]

MRA has some really nice, well intentioned people (some of whom also happen to be good shooters). And I respect their sensitivity to the limitations of their facilities. In my opinion it is not a shooters club. Plus, libs in sheep's clothing seem to reside there, in my opinion (which is a few years old now).

MRA has some really nice, well intentioned people (some of whom also happen to be good shooters). And I respect their sensitivity to the limitations of their facilities. In my opinion it is not a shooters club. Plus, libs in sheep's clothing seem to reside there, in my opinion (which is a few years old now).

They are smack in between 93 and 128 and there was still a stray bullet that landed onto 128. So now you need qualifications for the outdoor rifle ranges and for the 100/200yd range you shoot through long tubes right next to the benches. And on the other outdoor range (50yd), there are shots all over the baffel! How the **** do you manage to be that off. [rolleyes]

Unfortunately, mine is heavy into FUDDery. We are starting a range use committee this week, and I'm going to be volunteering to be the range officer for 2013. Getting involved is the only way to get things to change.....

Dammit man, "out" that club so none of us make the mistake of going there.

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

Londonderry Fish and Game. Absolutely fantastic club. It's well run and the president is a stand up type of guy. The range rules are safety oriented without the "fudd" nonsense over and above what is necessary.

A second for Londonderry F&G.

Monadnock.

Send in an application now in case people don't renew and there are some open membership spots after the first of the year. [wink]

Westford Sportsman's club - haven't had a bad experience there yet. Only been a member there a few months but everyone there has been good so far. No restrictions in the outdoor range (besides normal safety rules) - a few ammo type restrictions in the indoor range - for example, no +P ammo. There are no number of rounds restrictions or anything like that.

They have an active trap and sporting clays group - just an overall nice club.

Agawam Revolver Club is pretty good. I've been going for a long time but just joined. It's close so that was a big part of my joining. Outdoors can shoot whatever but no glass or exploding targets. Indoor range is kinda strict but nice so I don't mind

Last edited:
I'd have to say Nashua Fish and Game leans towards the Fuddish side. Also, it seems like they have a new rule every month. The cameras everywhere are a bit creepy too.

Taking a roll call - what clubs in Mass and southern NH are NOT run by Fudds? Of course those other than HSC which is a gift to shooters IMHO.
Oh you mean clubs run by guys wearing 5.11 gear? [laugh] Can't help you.

But BRP is a very well run club with outstanding indoor facilities and is active in supporting 2A efforts in MA.

North Leominster seems great. I'll be joining them soon.

and as an added bonus someone not only on the board, but who is the rifle and pistol range director is on NES.

wonder who that could be.

anyone interested in the club please PM me and i'll do my best to answer your questions.

People are nice but the rules are Ridiculous if you wish to do any sort of fun shooting at Billerica R&G. Ammo limits, second in between shots, etc.

Good to know. I thought about it, but the neon "bud lite" sign in the clubhouse was a deterrent for me. Alcohol and guns don't mix in my mind, but if you are going to do it - it should at least be *good* beer.

Good to know. I thought about it, but the neon "bud lite" sign in the clubhouse was a deterrent for me. Alcohol and guns don't mix in my mind, but if you are going to do it - it should at least be *good* beer.

I am also a member of Billerica and although everyone I have met has been very nice this place is about as FUDD as it gets. Lots of old dudes who NEVER shoot and just hang around and drink. The only plus is 99% of the time I am there nobody is in the indoor or outdoor ranges. When I asked about the 5 round limit I was told that its to protect you when your gun turns into a fully auto shooter and you lose control. I am not kidding that is what they said.

Any opinions on Ipswich F&G ,
Georgetown F&G or Hamilton F&G ? Want to try all 3 and pick best one.
I'd love to get some more info on Ipswich F&G and Hamilton F&G as well. I'm planning to join one of them in January and so far haven't been able to find a lot of info on either. I visited Hamilton F&G and it seemed adequate and it's literally 5 miles from my house. However Ipswich seems to offer a great junior archery program and my daughter has expressed a lot of interest in pursuing archery as a hobby. I don't personally shoot archery, however I'd love to see my daughter take it up.

HSA. I'm loving the outdoor pistol bays with the steel targets :D I was out yesterday in the freezing cold.

And I'm definitely excited to check out the trap/skeet/whatever they are stations I found out in the woods during deer season.

Agreed, though the rule against drawing from a holster may fit the OP's definition of Fuddism.

I'm honestly not aware of many clubs that allow drawing from the holster, but that is why I'm also a member of Mansfield F&G (which does allow this). Benches are in the way at places like BR&P wrt drawing and firing anyway if you really think about it.

It is true that BR&P is a staunch supporter of 2A (all aspects), however since the split-up of GOAL/GOAL Fdn/TOM, sadly BR&P has withdrawn all support for GOAL! Financially this means GOAL loses thousands of $$/year plus a lot of help in running events.

I am also a member of Billerica and although everyone I have met has been very nice this place is about as FUDD as it gets. Lots of old dudes who NEVER shoot and just hang around and drink. The only plus is 99% of the time I am there nobody is in the indoor or outdoor ranges. When I asked about the 5 round limit I was told that its to protect you when your gun turns into a fully auto shooter and you lose control. I am not kidding that is what they said.

I remember back in the 1970s, all the bullseye shooters were amateur gunsmithing their 1911s and I heard many a rumor of them going FA on people who took it too far. If the 5 round limit has been around for a very long time, it well could have been for the reason you were told. If it was invoked post-Westfield incident, it is purely FUDD!

1 shooting member guest per month is the reason I haven't joined even with it 10 minutes away. The club I belong to allows 1 guest per day.

There are a couple of rules that are on the books but ignored almost totally (I know of only one RO that is likely to bitch about this one) and this is one of them. Also the only 1 guest at a time rule can be easily over-ridden by sending an Email to the CRO and he will grant permission by Email for multiple guests (only use 1 shooting position when busy however). Keep in mind that immediate family are "permanent guests" and neither of the above rules apply to them.

Oh you mean clubs run by guys wearing 5.11 gear? [laugh] Can't help you.

Did someone with the handle "garandman" really just say this? Cute.

I went to the BRP site. Great to hear they are supporting the 2A in Mass. But looks like Fuddville. Anyone have an opinion?

Last edited:
Woburn Sportsman Association located at 155 Middlesex Turnpike Bedford, MA 01730
I have found to be very safety conscious but not FUDD. 200 yard outdoor range needs to take an additional written exam to use. 100 yard blackpowder range. Trap range that can be lit at night and used with personnel throwers. 25/50 yard outdoor pistol range only shooting at 25 right now. Very nice indoor 50ft indoor pistol range. Nice indoor archery range as well as 2 walking archery course and an outdoor archery range. club members are asked to only load 10 rounds per magazine but other than that very good attitude and good membership participation in club activities.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom