• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chief won't issue MG license

I'm in the process of opening a small manufacturing & retail gun shop in Lawrence. I have my 07 FFL and about to have my 02 SOT. I live in Billerica and have an unrestricted LTC from there (though I had to wait two years to be 'upgraded' from Target & Hunting). I sent an email to the firearms licensing sergeant asking how I should go about applying for the MG license. I offered to visit with him and/or the Chief to discuss the matter. He left me a voicemail this morning (very responsive which I appreciate) saying that the Chief simply will not issue the license to me (or anyone else, other than LE/SWAT). He suggested that I try applying in Lawrence where my shop is.

I was told by others that I had to apply for the MG license in the town that I lived. Is this not the case? Can I apply for it in Lawrence?

Last edited:
Rent out part of your shop to yourself as a residence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sux. I waited several years from when I first thought I would "like" to get a MG license because I knew the chief would not issue them. He is a friend of mine but simply had the ability to issue or not issue and chose not to.

Last year I made the firm decision to go for one and we had a new chief in my town. I made an appointment to speak with the chief and went in with a clear declaration of what I wanted as well as firm reasons for the license. He asked me to put the request in writing enumerating the reasons I had told him and he signed off on it.

Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of the licensing officer of the town.

Good luck.

I'm in the process of opening a small manufacturing & retail gun shop in Lawrence. I have my 07 FFL and about to have my 02 SOT. I live in Billerica and have an unrestricted LTC from there (though I had to wait two years to be 'upgraded' from Target & Hunting). I sent an email to the firearms licensing sergeant asking how I should go about applying for the MG license. I offered to visit with him and/or the Chief to discuss the matter. He left me a voicemail this morning (very responsive which I appreciate) saying that the Chief simply will not issue the license to me (or anyone else, other than LE/SWAT). He suggested that I try applying in Lawrence where my shop is.

I was told by others that I had to apply for the MG license in the town that I lived. Is this not the case? Can I apply for it in Lawrence?

Equal protection of the law hard at work.

I wonder how maura feels about machine guns since some of them are assault weapons. Does her crap impact FA?

My chief approved my MG license before I coughed up the 100 bucks and filed the application. I thought that worked well so I wouldn't have the baggage if denied. I needed to write a little letter to him as part of the procedure, as well as getting a c&r ffl. I just identified myself as a life long resident of the city and had a LTC for 45 years and the club I belonged to had facilities to shoot mgs. I got a text 24 hrs later saying it was approved, come on down and show me da money. I'm asuming this is procedure for everyone, I don't know our chief and never laid eyes on him. I'd walk by him in the street and not know who he was.

The police in Lawrence have been surprisingly receptive to my gun shop. The officer I've been working with has been very reasonable. He's also the firearms licensing officer and told me everyone gets unrestricted LTCs. I couldn't believe it.

My thought exactly. That's about the last place in MA that I would want to try to apply for an MG license. [thinking]

I know Fitz the Chief and asked about MG before and he said if there is anything I needed in the future let him know.
I also know Gene who gives LTC's

PM me where your located so I can visit

Last edited:
The police in Lawrence have been surprisingly receptive to my gun shop. The officer I've been working with has been very reasonable. He's also the firearms licensing officer and told me everyone gets unrestricted LTCs. I couldn't believe it.
Gene is a good dude, when my wife went for her LTC he said oooooooh so your Mike's Wife. She got the No Restrictions 1st time

(Less shootings than you think with almost 80k people in 7.4 Sq miles)

Last edited:

if you have the money, sue the chief. Not sure if you can , but it sounds good.
You can appeal the denial in district court.

The court will listen politely, take it under advisement, and send your attorney a ruling that it has deferred to the public safety concerns of a dedicated law enforcement professional and denied your appeal.

Gee I wonder what makes them so special and the rest of us real Americans not so much?

My chief approved my MG license before I coughed up the 100 bucks and filed the application. I thought that worked well so I wouldn't have the baggage if denied. I needed to write a little letter to him as part of the procedure, as well as getting a c&r ffl. I just identified myself as a life long resident of the city and had a LTC for 45 years and the club I belonged to had facilities to shoot mgs. I got a text 24 hrs later saying it was approved, come on down and show me da money. I'm asuming this is procedure for everyone, I don't know our chief and never laid eyes on him. I'd walk by him in the street and not know who he was.
What town for those of us packing our bags?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

The court will listen politely, take it under advisement, and send your attorney a ruling that it has deferred to the public safety concerns of a dedicated law enforcement professional and denied your appeal.

I've never been able to understand your state's (excuse me, Commonwealth's) permissiveness when it comes to textbook Arbitrary and Capricious.

Shit, a judgement based on someones opinion. Sounds typical

If you have the 07 and sot you technically don't need it as long as everything is in the official capacity of the business...just a thought.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Having a SOT and no Mass resident MG permit is kind of pointless, unless all you want to deal in is SBR's.

Not really, you can buy, sell, and manufacture machine guns, SBR, SBS, aows, and suppressors. As long as it is all in the official capacity of the business...most Leo's don't know this, so it can come with peril (ask me how I know ugh). Manufacturers are exempt from the mg license requirements. It is recommended that you get it if you can, but you can still feel with machine guns and silencers as a type 7 manufacturer

Not really, you can buy, sell, and manufacture machine guns, SBR, SBS, aows, and suppressors. As long as it is all in the official capacity of the business...most Leo's don't know this, so it can come with peril (ask me how I know ugh). Manufacturers are exempt from the mg license requirements. It is recommended that you get it if you can, but you can still feel with machine guns and silencers as a type 7 manufacturer

ATF will not approve a form 3 or 4 transfer of a MG into Mass for even a 07/SOT if a valid Mass MG permit doesn't accompany the form

Never had to submit my mg license to atf for any transfers. Did a bunch of them before I had a MG license.

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

(C) manufacturers or wholesalers of firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns.

Never had to submit my mg license to atf for any transfers. Did a bunch of them before I had a MG license.

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

(C) manufacturers or wholesalers of firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns.

Sorry sir. Thats not how it works. You are giving out info that just is not correct. I have transferred/purchased over a hundred MG's as a 07/SOT in the past 10 years and they want a copy of my MG permit every time.

Back
Top Bottom