Carrying a firearm under the influence of alcohol in MA

I am sure you love your wife dearly and that she is a lovely and adorable person, but I'm willing to bet you wish there were still times that she had her own apartment and you still shared a house with a roommate for probably much different reasons today [rofl] ( she probably wishes the same thing for you sometimes too, I'll wager)

Two words: man cave.

If I'm responsible enough to carry a gun, I think I'm responsible enough to have a drink while carrying. Don't drive like an idiot, and I doubt a breathalyzer is the first thing the cops are going to think about when responding to a self defense shooting.

Have to say I completely disagree with this. It may not be the FIRST thing.......but you know they are going to talk to you.......and if they smell alcohol coming from about your person I'm pretty sure you'll be asked to blow!

My rule is to never drink when I am driving and never handle my firearms when I am drinking. My drink of choice when I go out is root beer. I like root beer. I choose not to drink and drive not because it is illegal, but because it is dangerous. I have zero desire for anyone to be hurt on account of my stupidity; therefore I avoid doing stupid things like drinking and driving or handling my firearms or power tools while under the influence. I choose not to do it. I do not want my kids driven around by their friends parents if they are drinking so why would I cart my children around while I am? Doesn't make sense. I have seen enough horror stories in the news about drinking and driving...I'm convinced it is the wrong thing to do.

Have to say I completely disagree with this. It may not be the FIRST thing.......but you know they are going to talk to you.......and if they smell alcohol coming from about your person I'm pretty sure you'll be asked to blow!

Only if you are in Provincetown. Those folks a sthilly.

Second, nothing good happens after 11 PM. Get home before then. You are far more likely to get unwanted attention from the police if you are driving around at 0-dark-30 than if you are driving around at 7 PM.

"Carrying is one of the reasons I don't drink."

This

Are you guys serious with this crap? [laugh]

I carry a gun for protection, but carry a gun doesn't dictate every aspect of my life. I like beer, scotch, social drinking. I'm not giving up that aspect of my life because I'm so damn fearful of the world that I can never be away from a gun. To each his own, and I respect your choices to live your lives as you see fit but it's just kind of crazy to me that people adjust their entire lives around their carry.

I'm in my 30's and far past the point in my life where I like to get shitfaced, but I do drink socially, get a little buzz going. Often this extends beyond 11pm. I don't drive wasted. I've been in bars, drinking while carrying and no one ever died. If I'm out and meet up with friends for dinner and they start ordering cocktails or wine/beers and I want to partake I'm not going to opt out or try to run home and drop my gun off first. I'm just going to be smart about it. If I'm going to a bachelor party or something and know I'll be drinking somewhat heavily then I'd leave the gun home. I'm not going to skip a good friend's bachelor party over gun-carry or go but be the only sober guy there.

I think for the most part, people who do things in moderation and aren't stupid and constantly drawing attention to themselves should be just fine having a few drinks, even after 11pm, while carrying a gun. And frankly, I'd rather deal with the legal consequences of dropping a zombie with a bit of booze in my system than be pushing up daisies.

I carry a gun for protection, but carry a gun doesn't dictate every aspect of my life. I like beer, scotch, social drinking. I'm not giving up that aspect of my life because I'm so damn fearful of the world that I can never be away from a gun. To each his own, and I respect your choices to live your lives as you see fit but it's just kind of crazy to me that people adjust their entire lives around their carry.

I'm in my 30's and far past the point in my life where I like to get shitfaced, but I do drink socially, get a little buzz going. Often this extends beyond 11pm. I don't drive wasted. I've been in bars, drinking while carrying and no one ever died. If I'm out and meet up with friends for dinner and they start ordering cocktails or wine/beers and I want to partake I'm not going to opt out or try to run home and drop my gun off first. I'm just going to be smart about it. If I'm going to a bachelor party or something and know I'll be drinking somewhat heavily then I'd leave the gun home. I'm not going to skip a good friend's bachelor party over gun-carry or go but be the only sober guy there.

I think for the most part, people who do things in moderation and aren't stupid and constantly drawing attention to themselves should be just fine having a few drinks, even after 11pm, while carrying a gun. And frankly, I'd rather deal with the legal consequences of dropping a zombie with a bit of booze in my system than be pushing up daisies.

+1

That's too general of a statement.
IMO there is nothing wrong with having a couple beers while carrying. At a restaurant, at a bar, family cookout or on your couch, who cares.
Would I get hammered and carry [in public]? No because THAT is irresponsible to ME.

Concealed means concealed.

This. There are also 100 ways to mitigate the risk of ever being caught "carrying while intoxicated" without having to pull out the full on scaredy retard card over it.

-Mike

+2.5

It is a risk vs. gain thing. What are you risking? Your license and your guns. What are you gaining? A buzz. If that is cool with you, go for it. I think it is a stupid law too and I don't drink, but like you said you are an adult and you can do what you think is best.

It is a risk vs. gain thing. What are you risking? Your license and your guns. What are you gaining? A buzz. If that is cool with you, go for it.

Exactly. I see risk and no reward. I've gone out to dinner and drinks with colleagues and friends. We all ate. They drank beer. I drank water. I went home before 0-dark-30.

I'm not telling you what to do. I'm telling you what I do.

Late at night and early in the morning, police are out looking for impaired drivers. And a lot of the other drivers on the road are impaired. I choose to limit my exposure to both.

One thing to consider is that there is a program afoot to make ANY amount of alcohol in the bloodstream a mortal sin.

We know what the definition of Drunk Driving is: 0.08% BAC or greater.

Right?

But then, why are there all those "Buzzed driving is Drunk Driving" PSAs?

Now, I have a couple of kids, so these Announcements are something that get my notice.....but I've seen a consistent shift in what's "OK"....

One thing to consider is that there is a program afoot to make ANY amount of alcohol in the bloodstream a mortal sin.

Right?

Now, I have a couple of kids, so these Announcements are something that get my notice.....but I've seen a consistent shift in what's "OK"....

This.

I don't drink and drive, and eventually (should I ever get a non-restricted license :/) I would not drink and carry. But that is my personal decision, that I feel that I should have the right to make. It seems like people more and more want to regulate everything and everyone to death. I don't understand why people feel the need to have so many rules. Do they not understand the desire to be free?

Right?

true...only a matter of time before the original set of mothers who Can't Understand Normal Thinking are able to lobby for a .04% limit, then .02% and so on.

Man, F all this freedom shit. It's way to hard too just be responsible. Having the government make decisions for you under threats of violence and cage time is way better.

Right?

i think most regular people are not that adept at estimating their BAC - there are a number of portable BAC machines that have become available to consumers - i have a very small one that attaches to the iphone.

from my own point of view the reason the PSA's say "buzzed driving is drunk driving" is because if you have a sense or feeling of being buzzed, thats usually enough to indicate youre at .08 or above..... im not drunk im buzzed - what theyre saying is, .08 is probably closer to buzzed than drunk.

true...only a matter of time before the original set of mothers who Can't Understand Normal Thinking are able to lobby for a .04% limit, then .02% and so on.

Man, F all this freedom shit. It's way to hard too just be responsible. Having the government make decisions for you under threats of violence and cage time is way better.

We all agree with you brother.... you are 100% correct in both your thought process and your conduct... But tell it to the judge.

Right?

I got my driver's license in 1976, so I've seen a considerable shift in what people think is OK. Things that we got away with back then wouldn't fly today. I agree with you about the demonization of alcohol -- it is happening and it is nonsense. Please don't think that because I don't drink that I demonize alcohol or those who drink. I don't.

Back when I used to drink, did I have a few beers and then go clean some guns? Sure did, and I don't have any problem with someone who chooses to do the same. I don't think I was putting myself or anyone else in danger by doing so.

I don't have a problem with someone who is carrying having a couple beers and driving home. But I'm not the police officer or the judge, and there is risk in doing so.

Last edited:
i think most regular people are not that adept at estimating their BAC - there are a number of portable BAC machines that have become available to consumers - i have a very small one that attaches to the iphone.

from my own point of view the reason the PSA's say "buzzed driving is drunk driving" is because if you have a sense or feeling of being buzzed, thats usually enough to indicate youre at .08 or above..... im not drunk im buzzed - what theyre saying is, .08 is probably closer to buzzed than drunk.

I drink very little; I have no tolerance for alcohol. I'm a big guy, but one drink, and I feel it. I know that I'm nowhere near 0.08, but I feel it. I'm not significantly impaired, but I know I had one.

My point is that the acceptable level of BAC for driving will keep coming down (yes, 'm sure that this will turn into another Drinking & Driving Charlie Foxtrot)....and, when there is not objective metric for "Under the influence"....be damn careful.

I drink a lot less since I got my LTC. I choose not to drink if I am carrying. If I want to drink my wife can protect me.[smile]

I agree with you, as you pretty much described me also. the thing that sucks in this state is that if you have any interaction with police carrying after a few drinks theres a good chance your gonna lose your LTC and this doesn't have to be a situation were you used your gun

I agree with you, as you pretty much described me also. the thing that sucks in this state is that if you have any interaction with police carrying after a few drinks theres a good chance your gonna lose your LTC and this doesn't have to be a situation were you used your gun

true...

I'm not a huge drinker but I can decide to pop into a bar to kill time for a quick beer or two on occaision. I'm not changing my lifestyle or going home to lock the gun away. Just carry the damn thing.

A run in with the cops is always a possibility but I avoid them like the plague that they are. I mind my own business, don't ask homeless nut jobs why they're dry humping a shrub, don't stop to cell phone record fights etc. I think the risk is very small, small enough that I can live with that choice. Others can do as they see fit.

"under the influence of alcohol" is also undefined in the statute. What does under the influence mean? Good lawyers might be able to win a case where someone gets arrested over carrying a gun sub .08.

Good lawyers might be able to win a case where someone gets arrested over carrying a gun sub .08.
The late Darius Arbabi had a case where his client was charged with carrying under the infuence, but not charged with OUI - even though it was a traffic stop. I think he won the case, and earned a nice bit of cash while doing so.

[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fencer
About how long ago was that? What year did you graduate from college?

1970. I did say a long time ago! [laugh]

Woah! LenS is ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!

[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fencer
About how long ago was that? What year did you graduate from college?

1970. I did say a long time ago! [laugh]

Woah! LenS is ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!

If you are careful, one day you will be Ancient too! Remember it beats what's second best!! [smile]

The late Darius Arbabi had a case where his client was charged with carrying under the infuence, but not charged with OUI - even though it was a traffic stop. I think he won the case, and earned a nice bit of cash while doing so.

He did win the case. I don't know if he was able to get his client's LTC reinstated.

If you are careful, one day you will be Ancient too! Remember it beats what's second best!! [smile]
Good one Len !

(Prelude: I have had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma for 10 years, it may, or may not kill me eventually)

I used to be afraid of getting old. Now I am afraid of not getting old !

This thread makes my head hurt. So if I am having a crazy party at my house and I am spending some quality time with the ice luge and the cops show up, can I be arrested for being intoxicated with firearms since my safe is full of them?

This thread makes my head hurt. So if I am having a crazy party at my house and I am spending some quality time with the ice luge and the cops show up, can I be arrested for being intoxicated with firearms since my safe is full of them?

The ICE LUGE...man that brings back memories...

Back
Top Bottom