Carry Firearm and Reliability

Only thing I don't like about the Glock is some of the older preban mags we're stuck with in Mass will swell. This happened with my G27 (sold it) and I don't keep my G19 mags loaded but has anyone experienced this with their G26? I get the impression the .40 cal mags swell more than the 9 mm but I could be mistaken. It's probably the only thing holding me back from buying a G26.

In a dozen or so years of owning Glocks I have never know any of the newer, metal-lined mags to swell. But that is just my experience and it includes only a short period of time with G23s and one G27.

I've given up compromising with little guns.

I just carry a Glock 17 and dress around it. It doesn't matter if it's 95 or -5. I just adjust.

Only thing I don't like about the Glock is some of the older preban mags we're stuck with in Mass will swell.

I've never had a problem with my G26 mags.

There is no "preban mag issue" with a G26/27 because natively the guns are under the capacity limit, so the MA mags for these guns are normally not much different than the ones you get anywhere else. The only exception is the 12 round G26 mags that came with the +2 basepad on them, but I don't think Glock even distributes those anymore. Even in that case I still found a preban square notch 12 round G26 mag.

-Mike

G26/27 because natively the guns are under the capacity limit

That makes a lot of sense. I guess my G27 mags were to old type--it was a few years ago and I bought it used. They did swell something fierce though and it put that uneasy feeling in my gut about Glock mags ever since. But I suppose the new ones are much better.

I recently bought the Ruger and I really like it. It's fairly lightweight and feels good in the holster and it feels comfortable when you shoot it. It's my first carry gun so I don't have a lot to compare it to in terms of weight. It seemed heavy to me but that's probably because I wasn't used to it. It has been reliable for me. The only time I had a problem with it was the first time I went shooting with it. I was using Remington rounds and it jammed a few times. I did some looking around online and found that some people seem to think that it doesn't like Remington ammo for some reason. I guess there is a VERY tiny difference in the size of the rounds vs. other brands. I have no idea if this is true, just what I read. I know that GLOCK owners are very loyal and for good reason. Sure, they aren't sexy but when it comes to carry guns, I think a person just needs something that will ALWAYS work. So, am I recommending the Ruger or the GLOCK? I don't know... :)

I have a Glock 17 Gen4 with 2900 rounds on it.

I had two failures to extract in the first 300 rounds, and that was fixed with an upgraded recoil spring assembly from Glock.

I have now well over 2600 rounds of factory FMJ, factory defensive loads, and my reloads, in weights varying from 115 to 147 grains without a single stoppage or malfunction.

I'd bet my life on that pistol working.

Back
Top Bottom