Carried cocked and locked for the first time tonight

First time I carried was unloaded. Only once.
Then without one on the pipe. Only once or twice.
Now ready to go and it's a natural feeling :)

I recently started carrying on occassion as well- mostly when I'm showing real estate in areas I am not comfortable with but sometimes for no other reason than to carry. I have a revolver so I don't have the issues you all are talking about but what makes me nervous is I don't know the law enough to know where I am allowed to go with my concealed weapon. Obviously, government buildings, metal detectors, posted areas etc. set off the common sense alarm but is there a general set of rules? Anyone care to list areas not to carry and where it specifically is ok?

Don't you have to take a class covering the basics of these laws before you get a license???

And even if you didn't, shouldn't you find out before you carry anywhere?

I strongly suggest you ask an attorney if Mass law is confusing.

Nobody can tell you how to carry your gun but yourself. Do whatever is best for you and not whatever people tell you too. Nobody acts the same while carrying and nobody has the same speed cocking a firearm or unlocking it.

Ish.

Don't you have to take a class covering the basics of these laws before you get a license???

And even if you didn't, shouldn't you find out before you carry anywhere?

I strongly suggest you ask an attorney if Mass law is confusing.

Listen, jerky.....don't make me come down there for you! [smile]

I have been a hunter for my entire life, getting my FID at 15 (you know, the one that says "good for life unless revoked" [frown] ) but my interest in handguns has been relatively recent and when I took the class my reasons for wanting a handgun were twofold: home defense and simply because I wanted to get my LTC A and a handgun before the government made it even more difficult. So when I was in the class I probably did not pay as close attention to the carry laws as I should have because at that time I wasn't interested in carrying outside my home.

I might also submit that I seem to remember that the class was like every other preparatory class I have taken in my life- spending more time teaching you how to PASS the exam (or convince your police chief to give you a LTC) than time spent on the actual art of carrying concealed.

At any rate I have only carried in places I knew were legal, as you indicated should be the case. I simply felt limited as to where I could go because I didn't know all of the laws so I wanted to ask for some general advice, which everyone has been very kind in offering, so that I could be more comfortable going more places while carrying. I would ask an attorney but I fear that an answer would be as lengthy, and as confusing, as reading the laws themselves.

Thank you to everyone who has responded- I now have volumes more info than I had when I first started reading this post.

Nervousness at carrying C&L is just your body telling you that you should be carrying a revolver. Play IPSC or IDPA games for a while until you get used to your new gun, enough so that you don't feel apprehensive.

only way to carry. The first few times i carried, I carried with an empty chamber. It was the usual still getting used it it type thing. One i got used to my guns, and got some GOOD holsters I carry with one in the chamber all the time. The likelyhood of someone being able to draw their gun, chamber a round, and get a clean shot off in a high pressure, high stress situation is slim to none. They increase the risk of making a mistake, AD, or just plain a bad shot that could go anywhere.

With that being said I have 2 friends that never carry with one in the chamber and they still think they would be able to chamber a round quick enough. We have discussed it a few times(the three of us). I think they're wrong and the odds are against them but I hope we never find out who is right. Occasionally they do carry with a round chambered but i think that is even worse. You should always carry the same condition ALL the time so you don't get confused.

One of them carries a G27, the other carries a PPS. Both very safe guns to carry IMO.

I know you guys always say "slide time is a life time" or something along those lines. But I wanted to get use to carrying the gun first, and be comfortable with my draw and flipping of the thumb safety first. I didn't want to carry it cocked and locked and fumble around with it, and I'm glad I did. After carrying it un cocked for a few weeks I carried cocked and locked for the first time tonight. In my truck, Walmart, and Honey Farms, and felt 100% comfortable with it. What do you guys think? Anybody else do this in their beginning? Anybody think I was stupid and just should have sucked it up and carried cocked and locked from day one?

The best mode to carry your gun in is the one that works best for you, it's your license and your gun.

Don't you have to take a class covering the basics of these laws before you get a license??? And even if you didn't, shouldn't you find out before you carry anywhere? I strongly suggest you ask an attorney if Mass law is confusing.
Wow!!! Did he just call you a jerky? I am wondering why? Maybe it is because he was too polite? Man, slow down, will you? Unless, you are the best freaking gun’s lawyer in MA. and/ or you are confusing yourself. You don't have to talk like that no anybody. Seriously man, people like him or me are here to learn and share, and to be honest, with your comments, there isn’t anything to learn.

PS. – Now, you can go ahead and talk crap about me, or give me negative points or whatever you please, but you will still a jerk on my books for your comment.

Ish

Last edited:
Listen, jerky.....don't make me come down there for you! [smile]

I have been a hunter for my entire life, getting my FID at 15 (you know, the one that says "good for life unless revoked" [frown] ) but my interest in handguns has been relatively recent and when I took the class my reasons for wanting a handgun were twofold: home defense and simply because I wanted to get my LTC A and a handgun before the government made it even more difficult. So when I was in the class I probably did not pay as close attention to the carry laws as I should have because at that time I wasn't interested in carrying outside my home.

I might also submit that I seem to remember that the class was like every other preparatory class I have taken in my life- spending more time teaching you how to PASS the exam (or convince your police chief to give you a LTC) than time spent on the actual art of carrying concealed.

At any rate I have only carried in places I knew were legal, as you indicated should be the case. I simply felt limited as to where I could go because I didn't know all of the laws so I wanted to ask for some general advice, which everyone has been very kind in offering, so that I could be more comfortable going more places while carrying. I would ask an attorney but I fear that an answer would be as lengthy, and as confusing, as reading the laws themselves.

Thank you to everyone who has responded- I now have volumes more info than I had when I first started reading this post.

Suit yourself.

PS. How do you know that you never carried somewhere you weren't supposed to if you don't know for sure the ins and outs?

I'm from the chambered, uncocked school of thought. YMMV.

I'm assuming your carry 1911 has a firing-pin block safety? If not, this is not a very safe way to carry because of what could happen if it's dropped.

Assuming it does though, I'd be curious why you chose this mode? Personally I can rack the slide back faster and keep the gun somewhat on target faster than I can cock it (short thumbs).

Not criticizing you but I'm curious to know why you chose this method of carry.

Wow!!! Did he just call you a jerky? I am wondering why? Maybe it is because he was too polite? Man, slow down, will you? Unless, you are the best freaking gun’s lawyer in MA. and/ or you are confusing yourself. You don't have to talk like that no anybody. Seriously man, people like him or me are here to learn and share, and to be honest, with your comments, there isn’t anything to learn.

PS. – Now, you can go ahead and talk crap about me, or give me negative points or whatever you please, but you will still a jerk on my books for your comment.

Ish

Thanks Ish- always nice to hear from folks who are interested in fostering a welcoming environment. BTW- my "jerky" sentence was from a Jerky Boys cd and was meant in jest- hope I didn't piss off Jose because I never meant to.

That said, Jose's quiz on state concealed carry weapons is next Friday. If he doesn't score 100% he must stop carrying until he can retake the test and get 100%. While he know volumes more than I, he can't possibly know it all..... live by the sword, die by the sword.......[grin]

I'm assuming your carry 1911 has a firing-pin block safety? If not, this is not a very safe way to carry because of what could happen if it's dropped.

Assuming it does though, I'd be curious why you chose this mode? Personally I can rack the slide back faster and keep the gun somewhat on target faster than I can cock it (short thumbs).

Not criticizing you but I'm curious to know why you chose this method of carry.

I don't carry a 1911.

You guys carry loaded guns, isn't that dangerous? Seriously I carry cocked and locked and don't give it much thought. But it did take a little getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom