Carried cocked and locked for the first time tonight

I know you guys always say "slide time is a life time" or something along those lines. But I wanted to get use to carrying the gun first, and be comfortable with my draw and flipping of the thumb safety first. I didn't want to carry it cocked and locked and fumble around with it, and I'm glad I did. After carrying it un cocked for a few weeks I carried cocked and locked for the first time tonight. In my truck, Walmart, and Honey Farms, and felt 100% comfortable with it. What do you guys think? Anybody else do this in their beginning? Anybody think I was stupid and just should have sucked it up and carried cocked and locked from day one?

Do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. Sounds like you did just that.

There is no right and wrong way to learn how to carry concealed. Just because someone says it on the internet, doesn't mean it's right. 83.47% of the time that holds true anyway.

(i just made that statistic up)

There are a lot of people who wring their hands and whine about carrying cocked and locked being unsafe. If nobody ever carried that way, they'd all be wringing their hands and whining about something else they're doing that's supposed to be unsafe. I carried a 1911 cocked and locked for about 25 years and never had a single problem with it. The safety never got moved into the fire position; nothing bad happened. Maybe that's because I nevert try to fool around with the trigger on a holstered gun. BTW, the gun you carry is there to be comforting, whether or not it's comfortable.

Ken

I think it's a good idea to do this. I actually carried C&L with an empty chamber for a day or two. This was just to make sure that my daily routine, clothes etc. was not sweeping off my safety. My firearm cannot be safely carried in condition 2, So I went from Condition 3 to condition 1.

There's no formula that works for you except the one that works for you....Carrying a gun should feel as natural as carrying a wallet, car keys or a water bottle. If carrying not in C1 for a while helps you to be more comfortable carrying a gun, then you did the absolute right thing....By the way, what kind of gun is it? Congrats for stepping up and exercising your rights as a free human being....[cheers]

Do whatever makes YOU feel comfortable. Sounds like you did just that.

There is no right and wrong way to learn how to carry concealed. Just because someone says it on the internet, doesn't mean it's right. 83.47% of the time that holds true anyway.

(i just made that statistic up)

87.35% of people on the internet make up statistics[laugh2][wink]

There's no formula that works for you except the one that works for you....Carrying a gun should feel as natural as carrying a wallet, car keys or a water bottle. If carrying not in C1 for a while helps you to be more comfortable carrying a gun, then you did the absolute right thing....By the way, what kind of gun is it? Congrats for stepping up and exercising your rights as a free human being....[cheers]

Wise words.

Congrats.

When I came from revolvers to the 1911 years ago there was a definate pucker factor when you look down and see the hammer cocked for a while. My sholder rig has a strap that blocks the hammer anyway so that didn't look as bad as the belt holster. After a while you do get used to it.

I recently started carrying on occassion as well- mostly when I'm showing real estate in areas I am not comfortable with but sometimes for no other reason than to carry. I have a revolver so I don't have the issues you all are talking about but what makes me nervous is I don't know the law enough to know where I am allowed to go with my concealed weapon. Obviously, government buildings, metal detectors, posted areas etc. set off the common sense alarm but is there a general set of rules? Anyone care to list areas not to carry and where it specifically is ok?

As the above posters said - whatever it takes to make you comfortable with your gun. Once you become one with the gun - your life will change. When you know its not going to go bang without your booger hook pulling the bang button, happy day.

I recently started carrying on occassion as well- mostly when I'm showing real estate in areas I am not comfortable with but sometimes for no other reason than to carry. I have a revolver so I don't have the issues you all are talking about but what makes me nervous is I don't know the law enough to know where I am allowed to go with my concealed weapon. Obviously, government buildings, metal detectors, posted areas etc. set off the common sense alarm but is there a general set of rules? Anyone care to list areas not to carry and where it specifically is ok?

You cannot carry into: Govt bldg, post office, elementary or secondary school, college or university, Courhouses, Logan's "Secure zone". statehouse and other "metal detectored" blgs sometimes will have a "pistol check" service.

My bride had to testify in District Court in New Bedford a few weeks ago. I went along with her. I didn't carry because I thought I would be refused admittance. At the security checkpoint I asked the security guard what the policy was regarding firearms. He said that they would secure the gun while I was in the court house and return it to me when I left. He did say they would ask to see my LTC before returning it, but the question didn't seem to surprise or fluster him.

They did secure my pocket knife with the 1.75" blade until I left. [laugh]

When I first wanted to carry (a long time ago), I actually practiced by carrying an UNLOADED gun in the house. I did all evening and weekend activities in the house with the unloaded gun concealed. I checked the mirror a lot to see if I was printing.

After getting comforable doing that, I loaded it and did the same thing. Only then did I go mobile with the locked and cocked gun.

You learn to crawl before you can walk. No issue here with going at your own pace.

i carry my PT92C locked and cocked all the time i just have to be careful when taking it out the holster to make sure the safety is still on, i check it once in a while to make sure it still on safetyi slide my finger in my holster and push upwards to make sure the safety is engaged. sometimes i carry my .32 tomcat and sometimes the pt92c locked and cocked . i never carry the tomcat cocked and locked i keep one in the pipe and the hammer down DA ready.

This is incorrect. Post Offices are fair game.

Here's a thread with detailed info on where you can/can't carry in the State of MA. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18800&highlight=post+office

Where in there did you see post offices? I definitely missed it when I skimmed through the thread. I just called the Boston Office of the US Postal Inspectors and asked them, they said no go, don't carry in a Post Office unless you're a LEO.

Edit: only post I saw which says post office in the thread hanwei posted is #69....which doesn't say nada.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry... I retract my statement. It seems, as I read more, that concealed carry at the Post Office isn't so cut and dry.

Post #69 leads to this thread: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22513&highlight=post+office

In that thread, it seems that there is only one case that touches on concealed carry in post offices and the wording in the decision can be argued to be for or against it.

I was hoping you were right though.... but its not that much of a hassle to lock it up before going into the P.O.

For me... since it's not clearly prohibited... concealed is concealed. Though, I hardly ever go to the PO as it is... so... not really an issue for me anyway [smile]

For me... since it's not clearly prohibited... concealed is concealed. Though, I hardly ever go to the PO as it is... so... not really an issue for me anyway [smile]

concealed is concealed, and breaking federal law is breaking federal law. Trust me, I see the controversy in the law, but I'm not about to be the test case when it could be my butt in "pound me in the ass federal pen"

Here is the problem. I like to carry with one in the chamber but decocked - and thus double action if I need it. Some guns - like my current PPS cannot be decocked so you either have one in the chamber cocked and ready to go if needed OR you carry uncocked with nothing chambered and wait for the time when you need it and then rack the slide (stupid). This is the only thing I do not like about the PPS. So, because it is DA only, and I dont want to have to ask the assailant to "hang on one second while I rack one up" - I just deal with it and carry cocked with one in the chamber. Could be worse I guess - I could be one of the sheep...

If you're going to carry a 1911 carry it C&L or re-think your choices. I keep my 1911 without a round in the chamber and not cocked, but only when it's stored. even IF the thumb safety gets squished, which is incredibly unlikely, the grip safety will still keep you from a ND. But as Ken said, you shouldn't be mucking about with a trigger on a holstered gun anyway.

CT laws are different, but if there isn't a metal detector, someone frisking people (and I have actually attended concerts where they frisked some people while carrying ( it isn't illegal, they had no signs posted, so even if they had found it I would have just said "oh, ok, I won't come in/I'll lock it up"), and it isn't illegal I carry. I just think of it like any other item, such as cell phone, keys, and where I go, it goes. No biggie.
Side track apology in advance, but I attended a concert last weekend where they were frisking a lot of people, and people would just walk up and raise both hands like a criminal. I was sort of astounded that the people had been trained to act like that. I walked up, totally normally, and was going to tell him that he was not to touch me, and he looked sort of .. submissive? all of a sudden. Didn't frisk me, he just asked about a bulge on my belt (cell phone) and I lifted my shirt and showed him. I think your demeanor can make a big difference in how you get treated. With respect, or like a slave. anyway, back on topic...

Last edited:
I did the same thing for a day myself. Like MM mentioned, I wanted to see if my daily movements would do to my carry position, and to the firearm. I was also unsure of the new holster. When people get on your for not carrying cocked and locked they're talking about "in general." In general, if you have a Single Action firearm, it's better to carry it cocked and locked. If one wants to take some time to get used to the firearm, that's not a problem and it's not the issue. Sounds like you're good to go at this point.

If you're going to carry a 1911 carry it C&L or re-think your choices. I keep my 1911 without a round in the chamber and not cocked, but only when it's stored. even IF the thumb safety gets squished, which is incredibly unlikely, the grip safety will still keep you from a ND. But as Ken said, you shouldn't be mucking about with a trigger on a holstered gun anyway.

What is the purpose of storing your 1911 in condition 3 when you are carrying in condition 1? Why not just leave it in the holster in condition 1 all the time, just wondering. My CC only has a thumb safety, so I just leave it in condition 1 all the time. It gets stored in the safe with an IWB holster. The exception to this is when, if, I need to lock it in the car.

Last edited:
Here is the problem. I like to carry with one in the chamber but decocked - and thus double action if I need it. Some guns - like my current PPS cannot be decocked so you either have one in the chamber cocked and ready to go if needed OR you carry uncocked with nothing chambered and wait for the time when you need it and then rack the slide (stupid). This is the only thing I do not like about the PPS. So, because it is DA only, and I dont want to have to ask the assailant to "hang on one second while I rack one up" - I just deal with it and carry cocked with one in the chamber. Could be worse I guess - I could be one of the sheep...

Let's back up here. A DA-only and/or striker fired pistol cannot be "cocked"..not until the trigger is pulled anyhow. Just having a round in the chamber doesn't mean it's cocked. Also, the OP said he was carrying a S&W 908......cocked and locked isn't possible. It has the safety/decock which you decock with and then either leave there as a manual safety, or flip back up so the pistol is ready to fire in double-action for the first shot. I think maybe he just meant carrying it with a round chambered. Not trying to be a dick...just pointing that out. I think perhaps some terminology is being mixed up here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom