Car oil change

Whats 20-50 cost these days lol
I spent to much time driving around looking for plan old 10-40
And non detergent oil.
It isn't that expensive, in conventional it is about 9 bucks a quart or 6 bucks a quart if you buy it in a 5 quart jug, but that is for the Valvoline high zinc stuff I use in the Harleys because IMHO they need the extra zinc, even with the roller lifters.

The Synthetic Valvoline VR-1 20w-50 is like 12 bucks a quart in quart containers

For what it's worth, the Costco brand Kirkland full synthetic is blended by Warren distributing, who blends for Mobil 1 and others. I've used it for several years and no engines have blown up yet....
Hands down the best deal. When on sale, you can get two 5-qt jugs of full synthetic for $32. Warren also makes the same for AmazonBasics and Walmart Supertech. Youtube testing showed great viscosity even under freezing startups.

Best tires to the rear.
Yes, but I'm trying to get a debate going.
Many (40 ish) years ago, friend's wife came home from work sobbing hysterically, roads had light snow, but her front-wheel drive (old Saab 96), was all over the roads; maybe 10 miles from Tyngsborough to Carlisle. She had good tires, so we were perplexed. Until we realized that she hadn't released the emergency brake (working the rear wheels). She drove the entire way with the rear wheels locked up.

Im going to say NO
Your not buying oil and filter for $30
Im not sure when people start the clock on a oil change.
But 15 min eh
Is that including
Time to get supplies, tools out , prep car drain and fill clean up?
I probably let my pan drain for 15 minutes. Or at least it feels like it haha

Yes, but I'm trying to get a debate going.
Many (40 ish) years ago, friend's wife came home from work sobbing hysterically, roads had light snow, but her front-wheel drive (old Saab 96), was all over the roads; maybe 10 miles from Tyngsborough to Carlisle. She had good tires, so we were perplexed. Until we realized that she hadn't released the emergency brake (working the rear wheels). She drove the entire way with the rear wheels locked up.
Thats fun, loved doing that.
And come on now this is a oil:gun lube debate !!!! Lol
You should always use 4 snow

And how successful have you been with this tactic? I have a few independent auto repair shop clients and I see their numbers - for a process as low cost as an oil change they need the mark up on the oil and filter to make it worth doing. I don't know a single one who would humor the thought of using customer provided oil change supplies.
Lol why wouldn't a shop just charge what they felt they needed to charge? There are tons of people on car boards that bring their own shit and have someone else do it. It's not that unusual, especially if the customer wants to use a weird oil the shop doesn't stock. The shop is still getting labor and a hazmat/disposal fee.

Got bored🤷🏻‍♂️
GM 5.3
The Supertech is the same as the AC Delco but 5.00 cheaper
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

If the Supertech has the identical filter element, maybe that's the same. But the Supertech may actually be better all else being equal because it appears to have a silicone anti drain back valve instead of black nitrile rubber, which seals and retains it's shape/flexibility a lot better.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

If the Supertech has the identical filter element, maybe that's the same. But the Supertech may actually be better all else being equal because it appears to have a silicone anti drain back valve instead of black nitrile rubber, which seals and retains it's shape/flexibility a lot better.
Yes
My other AC that I just took off a few weeks ago had the silicone so I wonder if that aspect is hit or miss.
The filter element seems to be exact and also exact glue marks

I prefer to do my own oil changes because while the oil is draining, I go over the car, shake out the floor mats, maybe sort out the stuff in the glove box and trunk, check the underside for rust and maybe clean the inside of the windshield.
Of course the car makers have not made this easy for me as one car has a canister type oil filter and the splash guard gets in the way. The other requires removing the front right wheel well liner. If the wind picks up (It always seems to do) it just makes things more annoying.
Then my city dump has decided that they don't take used motor oil anymore. The city recommended Pep Boys but the counter girl said "We don't accept that."

I prefer to do my own oil changes because while the oil is draining, I go over the car, shake out the floor mats, maybe sort out the stuff in the glove box and trunk, check the underside for rust and maybe clean the inside of the windshield.
Of course the car makers have not made this easy for me as one car has a canister type oil filter and the splash guard gets in the way. The other requires removing the front right wheel well liner. If the wind picks up (It always seems to do) it just makes things more annoying.
Then my city dump has decided that they don't take used motor oil anymore. The city recommended Pep Boys but the counter girl said "We don't accept that."
If they sell the oil, they have to take the waste oil. Leave it on their doorstep if you bought it there.

So I recycle my used oil first hand. I mean, I paid for it, so why give it away? And it works wonders to really get my burn barrel going! I just finished putting together a waste oil heater for my barn using an old wood stove and a 5 gallon bucket to feed it with used oil/ATF/hydraulic etc. What could be greener than that? Using my used oil to heat my barn when I need to work out there, and think of all the trees and firewood I'm saving to use in the woodstove in the house!

Agreed on checking the underside. I just did my 10k oil change a few mins ago while making my lunch. While under there, I checked the suspension components, CV boots, the subframe bolts that were recently installed, applied silicone grease on the sway bar link bushings, everything looks money. Parts cost was maybe $30.

Agreed on checking the underside. I just did my 10k oil change a few mins ago while making my lunch. While under there, I checked the suspension components, CV boots, the subframe bolts that were recently installed, applied silicone grease on the sway bar link bushings, everything looks money. Parts cost was maybe $30.
Bro, you have a VW - you need to check every electrical connection for gremlins.

Bring your own oil and filter to a shop , lol
Maybe a shop you have a very long relationship with. You would get the NO
There’s a shop by me where the fella prefers you bring your own oil and filter. Shocked the hell out of me. Called to make an appointment because we found out we needed to drive out to the wife’s family on short notice and I didn’t have time to do it. Guy tells me he can pick up the oil and filter for me but it’ll be cheaper if I just pick it up myself.
He’s primarily a muffler, brake, and undercarriage operation though so he doesn’t keep bulk oil or filters on hand.

Depends. On. Locus. It is not a universal reality. Your advice is bad anyway anywhere.
I think you meant “depends on location” and are possibly just retarded or drunk; but it turns out he’s in Nashua, so you’re right.

New Hampshire does not require retailers to take back used oil, but it does impose a two-cent surcharge on each gallon of gas to help fund a recovery system (N.H. Stat. § 147:B12, attachment 3). The surcharge is deposited in the states Hazardous Waste Clean Up fund and is set aside to provide grants to towns to set up municipal collection centers. According to the New Hampshire DEP 134 of 234 towns have drop points. The grants are limited to $2500.

New Hampshire also allows garages to voluntarily accept DIY used motor oil and to burn it along with garage generated used oil for heat.

If they sell the oil, they have to take the waste oil. Leave it on their doorstep if you bought it there.
In MA too? I've was at an Advance Auto Parts somewhere in MA that did accept used oil but said "Do not leave oil at door after hours, you are on camera and police will be notified" It was in a city so I assume a lot of people just dropped jugs and left, probably leaving it in a way that caused a mess or was contaminated with something.

"Do not leave oil at door after hours, you are on camera and police will be notified"
I have seen that at an auto parts store in Westfield. The guy was getting jugs of oil left off after hours in containers with brand names he did not sell (like Walmart Super Tech).

I can see the guys problem. He shouldn't have to take in/recycle oil that he did not sell. Some people just don't give a s**t.

I have seen that at an auto parts store in Westfield. The guy was getting jugs of oil left off after hours in containers with brand names he did not sell (like Walmart Super Tech).

I can see the guys problem. He shouldn't have to take in/recycle oil that he did not sell. Some people just don't give a s**t.
Yup... some parts stores will accept anything though, but some won't like you said. Another issue is that people will use the oil recycling service to dispose of other hazardous materials in an oil jug or mixed with oil. Some auto repair shops or auto parts stores will visually inspect and even smell the contents of the jug to make sure it's oil or trans fluid.

In MA too? I've was at an Advance Auto Parts somewhere in MA that did accept used oil but said "Do not leave oil at door after hours, you are on camera and police will be notified" It was in a city so I assume a lot of people just dropped jugs and left, probably leaving it in a way that caused a mess or was contaminated with something.

It’s law in MA, but you have to actually buy the oil there.

I have left quarts of drain oil, neatly packaged with a taped receipt, outside of an Autozone that hadn’t opened yet. And if a vendor in MA refuses to take waste oil I am leaving it on their doorstep on the way out whether the Karens on NES like it or not.

Massachusetts regulates used motor oil as a hazardous waste, but exempts DIY from the regulations. Massachusetts's law requires retailers licensed to sell motor oil to accept used motor oil from their customers (Mass. Gen. L. Ch. 21 § 53a attachment 1). Once the used oil is transferred from a DIY to the retailer, it falls under the hazardous waste regulations.

The state offers a grant program to municipalities interested in setting up used oil drop off centers. Approximately 151 of 351 municipalities have set up drop centers. According to the Massachusetts DEP the municipal drop center is the most successful way to recover used motor oil.

Garages may also voluntarily accept used motor oil from DIYs. Garages may apply for a permit to burn the oil they generate and collect form DIYs for heat.

Yup... some parts stores will accept anything though, but some won't like you said. Another issue is that people will use the oil recycling service to dispose of other hazardous materials in an oil jug or mixed with oil. Some auto repair shops or auto parts stores will visually inspect and even smell the contents of the jug to make sure it's oil or trans fluid.
We have an oil recycle tank here in town at the dump, I use it quite a bit because I do all my own maintenance.

A couple years ago it was full and when the recyclers went to pump it out something didn't smell right. They tested and determined that some idiot had dumped fertilizer in there!!!

It took almost a year before they could get someone in to clean it out. So for a year I had to haul my used oil down to AutoZone (where I bought it). I know the guy @ the dump (Board of Health) and a couple of selectmen. We and a couple others had to BEG them not to shut it down, fortunately they didn't. They had every right to because it was very expensive and nearly impossible to find someone to dispose of that hazardous mess.

So now, just as you said the dump guys visually inspect and smell it before you can dump it. They think the culprit was a landscaper here in town but nobody knows for sure.

Just another example of how some idiot skinflint can ruin things for other people that play by the rules. :(

Been doing all my vehicles maint and repairs for the past 30 years . $28 for 5 qts of Mobil 1 and $12 for a Fram Xguard filter at Chinamart. I got no problem laying on my back for 30 min to do an oil change at MY time convenience vs waiting at a deslership or waiting in line at Jippfy Lube . Ive literally saved myself thousands of dollars over the years as i drive all my vehicles to 200+K miles . Most recent big savings was changing the timing belt in our Honda Pilot 3.5L . $280 in parts and took me about 8 hrs . Not really a difficult job but took me a lot of time. My local shop quoted me $850 to do the job.

For what it's worth, the Costco brand Kirkland full synthetic is blended by Warren distributing, who blends for Mobil 1 and others. I've used it for several years and no engines have blown up yet....
Warren makes most of the oil for Costco, Walmart blue bottle, etc. Its made to a spec, and some say just as good or as many additives as Mobil 1.

I've used Walmart Blue in my older cars when they started getting high miles and they kept running fine.

I use it in my MIL's Chevy Trax with high miles and its been fine. Save her $$ that way on the change.

Im using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (not Platinum) on my new cars which I can't seem to find at WM, so I get it on Amazon for a good price in 3 bottle boxes. Taco takes like nearly 7 quarts, so its good to have the 3 bottle pack as well. Extra quart bottles are stupid priced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom