• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car oil change

Echo 225

NES Member
I’m sitting here at the car dealership for regular maintenance and an oil change and my vehicle takes 0W-20
How would I ever know that I’m getting something else rather than when I’m paying for? Maybe 5W-30 instead. maybe it’s just I don’t trust car dealerships.

I’m sitting here at the car dealership for regular maintenance and an oil change and my vehicle takes 0W-20
How would I ever know that I’m getting something else rather than when I’m paying for? Maybe 5W-30 instead. maybe it’s just I don’t trust car dealerships.
Every time I pay for premium at the pump, I wonder how much regular I'm paying a premium price for.

I would safely ASSume that the stealership has that oil in their inventory. A lot of newer cars use that flavor. I'm also aware of some shops substituting with 5W-30 telling the customer that it is OK to use it one time. One should never trust a stealership with anything. The salesweasels and service writers work on commission. They ALL LIE and use scare tactics!

How would you know if they changed the cabin air filter unless you went through the trouble of disassembling the glovebox and checking it yourself?
If a car is out of warranty, I would buy the oil and filter myself and bring it to an independent shop.

Then why are you sitting at one right now (and writing about it?)

How would you know if they changed the cabin air filter unless you went through the trouble of disassembling the glovebox and checking it yourself?
If a car is out of warranty, I would buy the oil and filter myself and bring it to an independent shop.
What's warranty have to do with this question in the first place?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm a nut, a Chem E who reads www.bobistheoilguy.com for fun

You ask the question that no one asks. Dealerships have big bulk barrels of oil of various viscosities and they just draw from them. You are kidding yourself if you think the Toyota dealership uses individual bottles of Toyota branded oil. For the one "free" change they did on my 2021 RAV4, they used 0W-20 instead of the manual stated 0W-16 because they told me "they are the same thing". They added 5 quarts, overfilling it instead of adding 4.8 qts in the manual because "no one checks their oil and a little extra is good"

I've got an $80 set of Rhino ramps and maybe another $50 worth of tools and a drain pan and can do an oil change in under half an hour. Replace the darn crush washer too. I have a 5 gal jug I dump the old oil in and bring it to one of the auto parts stores for recycling.

I changed the oil at 750 miles, 1500 then 5K on my new car and do it every 5K or 6 months. Each oil change costs me about $45 for the car I spent $35K on.

Nobody has never seen a bulk oil delivery truck on the roads?
I’ve been in 2 warehouses filled with every oil need for powered and industrial needs. It’s pretty organized.

That said it was before the current labor force.

I change this myself before major service (also the engine air filter). If the dealership tries to sell me a new one, I know they are thieves.

I also discretely mark my tires to verify rotation when I order it. So far, the rotations have actually happened.

Why wait for the warranty to expire?

I'm a nut, a Chem E who reads www.bobistheoilguy.com for fun

You ask the question that no one asks. Dealerships have big bulk barrels of oil of various viscosities and they just draw from them. You are kidding yourself if you think the Toyota dealership uses individual bottles of Toyota branded oil. For the one "free" change they did on my 2021 RAV4, they used 0W-20 instead of the manual stated 0W-16 because they told me "they are the same thing". They added 5 quarts, overfilling it instead of adding 4.8 qts in the manual because "no one checks their oil and a little extra is good"

I've got an $80 set of Rhino ramps and maybe another $50 worth of tools and a drain pan and can do an oil change in under half an hour. Replace the darn crush washer too. I have a 5 gal jug I dump the old oil in and bring it to one of the auto parts stores for recycling.

I changed the oil at 750 miles, 1500 then 5K on my new car and do it every 5K or 6 months. Each oil change costs me about $45 for the car I spent $35K on.

How much do you charge and are you local?

And how successful have you been with this tactic? I have a few independent auto repair shop clients and I see their numbers - for a process as low cost as an oil change they need the mark up on the oil and filter to make it worth doing. I don't know a single one who would humor the thought of using customer provided oil change supplies.

And how successful have you been with this tactic? I have a few independent auto repair shop clients and I see their numbers - for a process as low cost as an oil change they need the mark up on the oil and filter to make it worth doing. I don't know a single one who would humor the thought of using customer provided oil change supplies.
I'm puzzled by the Tire Rack model of "skim profit off the rubber and expect a tire change place to do the work for the mount/balance fee only".

Just once so far, and they actually appreciated me bringing supplies, so that's at least one mechanic out there.

We have a 1000 gallon 0W20 bulk oil tank that feeds our shop. Would be dumb to use another viscosity and it would probably cost more. Ask them to show you if you are so concerned. The tank will be labeled.

This is exactly what I do. They charge me the labor only, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom