• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car oil change

Auto work has substantially gone up in price in the last few years. Not too long ago, wheel rotations were advertised as "free" (as a way to upsell big services), $15-20 conventional oil changes, and hourly rate at $70 was the norm.

$140 for oil is insane. My father had his Porsche Macan serviced at the dealer for brake pads/rotors and oil. I knew it was going to be rape. Get this: almost $5000 😵‍💫

We used to do them for free because we would try to upsell you a brake job at the same time. The problem is now you have to find the wheel locks you have to rotate the tires you have to reprogram the TPMS sensors to make sure that they are on the right corner and that procedure is a royal pain in the neck. Plus the days of one ugga dugga two ugga Dugga a long gone you got to get the torque sticks out and look for the torque value for that particular car with that particular wheel

Auto work has substantially gone up in price in the last few years. Not too long ago, wheel rotations were advertised as "free" (as a way to upsell big services), $15-20 conventional oil changes, and hourly rate at $70 was the norm.

$140 for oil is insane. My father had his Porsche Macan serviced at the dealer for brake pads/rotors and oil. I knew it was going to be rape. Get this: almost $5000 😵‍💫
My buds RS5 rotors and pads were 3700

Wow. Crazy. I just changed a friend's Corolla's oil... $26 total. Full synthetic Quaker State and a Bosch filter. Not no name crap either.

But my V8 takes 7-8 quarts of oil so I can't imagine what they'd ask for it. These oil places advertized price says "Up to 4 quarts of oil" So yikes. Lol

Dealer brake jobs like that have been very expensive for years.

My Lesburu Crossdress is so high off the ground already it made more sense to get one of these Fumoto valves and just do it myself after I passed the factory 36k mi warranty period. 0W-20 is cheap off wally world and I just pick up the filters from the Subaru dealer parts counter. Can't trust Amazon anymore

61bKxY0pgEL._AC_SL1032_.jpg

Fumoto FTW, had it on my lesbaru as well
Not trying to be rude, but is that really worth it or a good idea? Not much to go wrong with a drain bolt, but a lot more to go wrong with a petcock valve.

I see the use if you have a top mounted oil filter and a hard to access drain plug that's behind skid plates and stuff.

Last edited:
Not trying to be rude, but is that really worth it or a good idea? Not much to go wrong with a drain bolt, but a lot more to go wrong with a petcock valve.

I see the use if you have a top mounted oil filter and a hard to access drain plug that's behind skid plates and stuff.
No, not a lot more can go wrong. Who told you this?

No reason a brake job should cost that much unless your car is Ferrari or other exotic car. Last weekend I did the front brakes on my bmw, rotors and ceramic pads in just over an hour. Parts were $220. Been doing my own work since I was a teenager. I'm 65. My friend otoh has no clue. He didn't realize that he needed a brake job until his caliper piston fell out and the pedal went soft.

Attachments

• IMG_1708344318100.jpg
    IMG_1708344318100.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
No reason a brake job should cost that much unless your car is Ferrari or other exotic car. Last weekend I did the front brakes on my bmw, rotors and ceramic pads in just over an hour. Parts were $220. Been doing my own work since I was a teenager. I'm 65. My friend otoh has no clue. He didn't realize that he needed a brake job until his caliper piston fell out and the pedal went soft.

A pair of front rotors for a higher end/ performance German car can be $2500+ -just- for the rotors. Carbon rotors are $10k for the pair. Most of those cars also have 8 pads total on the front. Not to mention that their books usually call for brake fluid flush every rotor service (or two years whichever comes first). All that at currently $220+/ hour for labor at an authorized dealer. It gets expensive quickly.

Oil changes are 8-10 quarts of synthetic oil, $20 filter and 2 hours of labor which include the oil change plus disposal fee, computer diagnostics and visual check up... for total of usually about $400-600 depending on brand. Porsche in addition does not allow for user- friendly service reset light- it needs to be done with a dedicated Porsche computer/ dongle (no, a VW VagCom does not work)... On Mercedes you need a Star DAS dedicated soft/hardware to reset air filter adaptations so next service is calculated correctly- you cant just swap the air filters and call it a day.

Germans are expensive to maintain and even moreso to repair. There is a reason why any high end german is 50% or more off retail after 4 years or 50k miles when the warranty expires.

Last edited:
This time I switched to Kirkland from Costco there was a two pack of 5 quart jugs for 38.99 so I had a friend grab a couple cases
Every time I go to Costco I check the motor oil section to see if the 2-pack is on sale. Warren Petroleum is among the highest rated out there, especially for cold weather starts.

Eh, unless you are buying oil and 50 gallon drums with no label on it for dirt cheap in the back of some warehouse somewhere you’re not gaming anything but a price when it comes to oil these days. I have yet to really see any difference in any oil I’ve used over the past 35 years. At minimum you should be changing your oil when the manufacturer says so. With what I’ve been seeing with the cars and trucks in the past 10 years you better be checking your oil every 2000 miles. Our standard recommendation is 5000 miles. You can decide to do whatever you want with your car.

Now oil testing we used to do a lot of it back in late 90s into the 2000s and that just kind of fell off. Nobody wants to spend the money to have their oil tested. With what cars cost today and what it cost to fix them I really don’t understand why people harp over oil changes, I’m looking at some of these cars with the 2 L supercharged and turbo charged TwinTurbo on the V6 is they pay 75 $80,000 for these cars and they complain about the price of oil change makes no sense to me.

It’s real simple when it comes to oil changes do it within the manufactures recommendations if not sooner. Use the correct. Use the correct gas. And use the quality gas.

Most of the problems were seeing related to oil these days has nothing to do quality of the oil or the oil change intervals. So many people are not checking their oil often enough the worst part of it is there a no dipsticks on the newer cars so you have to rely on your electronic dipstick and pray that it’s correct calibrated and working.

Is he a painter by any chance in a van? It’s funny I see this way too often and I swear they know good damn well they need brakes but they say the hell with it and they just ride it until they’re nothing and just fix it it’s crazy. See this all too often and it’s usually a goddamn Work vans, lol

i been at it 30 plus years.
Labor rates been at $100 2012-ish
$130+ theses days- Although techs are not making more.

Oil changes where cheaper because it was a way to get cars in the shop.

Theres little money to be made on oil changes with out charging more.

Plus it eats up time if a shop does not have dedicated service tech/bay

Only slightly good thing about oil changes as a tech Is a chance to pull work. Its easy to spot brake and suspension work while you airing up tires and looking around underside.

$150 for a oil change is on the cheaper side these days depending on amount and type of oil. Even more when customer wants XYZ oil

Macan - yeah 14”+ rotors , 2 pc design IIRC brake pads are like the size 10” long 3” wide , Just had a 2022 Audi in the shop which I think is the same platform? Brake estimate was close to that.

$80k plus vehicles , like little race cars are expensive to maintain especially at the dealer.

I get a chuckle out of this thread.
People buying luxury cars and then want a Walmart oil change price.
Pull your man card out of your purse and do it yourself.
You may break one of your painted finger nails, but you saved $20.00.

Everyone wonders why no one wants to be a mechanic or go into the trades.

I have been doing my own oil changes since my first vehicle.
If you don't want to get your hands dirty. You got to pay someone else to get theirs dirty.
I could do it myself, but. [rofl2]

Seriously, no you can't![smile]

Last edited:
I get a chuckle out of this thread.
People buying luxury cars and then want a Walmart oil change price.
Pull your man card out of your purse and do it yourself.
You may break one of your painted finger nails, but you saved $20.00.

Everyone wonders why no one wants to be a mechanic or go into the trades.

I have been doing my own oil changes since my first vehicle.
If you don't want to get you hands dirty. You got to pay someone else to get theirs dirty.
I could do it myself, but. [rofl2]

Seriously, no you can't![smile]
Meh. I’ve rebuilt engines, I can change my own oil, I don’t want to.

Since I was 16 I started changing my own oil, I’m 51 and still do.
Why ? because I know it’s done right and I like doing it.
For real... if you F something up on your own car at least you know something got F'd up! I don't blame you because although you and I think an oil change is simple, plenty of dedicated oil change shops screw something up all the time. 🤣

What's the likelihood of engine damage if the low oil pressure lights comes on but you shut the car off right away?

Back
Top Bottom