• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Car oil change

It’s law in MA, but you have to actually buy the oil there.

I have left quarts of drain oil, neatly packaged with a taped receipt, outside of an Autozone that hadn’t opened yet. And if a vendor in MA refuses to take waste oil I am leaving it on their doorstep on the way out whether the Karens on NES like it or not.

Massachusetts regulates used motor oil as a hazardous waste, but exempts DIY from the regulations. Massachusetts's law requires retailers licensed to sell motor oil to accept used motor oil from their customers (Mass. Gen. L. Ch. 21 § 53a attachment 1). Once the used oil is transferred from a DIY to the retailer, it falls under the hazardous waste regulations.

The state offers a grant program to municipalities interested in setting up used oil drop off centers. Approximately 151 of 351 municipalities have set up drop centers. According to the Massachusetts DEP the municipal drop center is the most successful way to recover used motor oil.

Garages may also voluntarily accept used motor oil from DIYs. Garages may apply for a permit to burn the oil they generate and collect form DIYs for heat.
I buy most of my oil at WM or Amazon. But all of the waste, gets dropped at WM. No reciepts, just the 5 gal bottles brought and dropped off. Never an issue.

Lol why wouldn't a shop just charge what they felt they needed to charge? There are tons of people on car boards that bring their own shit and have someone else do it. It's not that unusual, especially if the customer wants to use a weird oil the shop doesn't stock. The shop is still getting labor and a hazmat/disposal fee.
Unknown.jpg.png

How would you know if they changed the cabin air filter unless you went through the trouble of disassembling the glovebox and checking it yourself?
If a car is out of warranty, I would buy the oil and filter myself and bring it to an independent shop.
You bring your own eggs to the diner too?

You guys need to chill out basically any shop is either going to tell somebody one of two things either go f*** yourself with your own oil 🤣 or they're just going to do the normal thing which is to charge whatever they need to charge it's not really some kind of rocket science. More often than not this is encountered when a customer wants to use a type of oil or filter that a shop doesn't carry or sell. And in some cases the shop is going to make more money because they're not going to bill the service the same way.

The problem with using your product is when it fails or it is defective. You buy crap from Auto Zone not the same as OEM. Maybe oil is oil but most shops won't use your parts and stand behind them. Just makes sense.

You guys need to chill out basically any shop is either going to tell somebody one of two things either go f*** yourself with your own oil 🤣 or they're just going to do the normal thing which is to charge whatever they need to charge it's not really some kind of rocket science. More often than not this is encountered when a customer wants to use a type of oil or filter that a shop doesn't carry or sell. And in some cases the shop is going to make more money because they're not going to bill the service the same way.
Yes if Course if it’s specialty stuff
But typically the bring your own parts guy is trying to save a buck, and isn’t even worth working for.
It’s the same guy who starts off with “is do it myself but”
Or the “ever since you changed my oil my wife’s pregnant and my refrigerator died” guy

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy2mlmG_Zg

But typically the bring your own parts guy is trying to save a buck, and isn’t even worth working for.
Or the “ever since you changed my oil my wife’s pregnant and my refrigerator died” guy

Can confirm. There are definitely dudes that will show up with Chinese shit they bought off Amazon and ask the shop to install.

But that’s significantly different from showing up with a preferred brand of oil/filter and agreeing to pay standard labor rate. If a shop I had a relationship with declined and wanted to use some shit oil/filter so they can get the juice on the parts I’d probably look for a new shop.

Can confirm. There are definitely dudes that will show up with Chinese shit they bought off Amazon and ask the shop to install.

But that’s significantly different from showing up with a preferred brand of oil/filter and agreeing to pay standard labor rate. If a shop I had a relationship with declined and wanted to use some shit oil/filter so they can get the juice on the parts I’d probably look for a new shop.
Exactly. I show up with Redline Oil.

Yes I get the fact that people get offended if somebody is trying to be a f***ing skin Flint so at that point what you have to do is instead of like arm flapping about it.... just f***ing charge them the money that you want to get.... !!! That alone will make skinflints run away in terror which solves all of the problems. If I was a mechanic I'm not going to be bothered by some guy who's an Amsoil glue sniffer and comes with his own shit I would just charge him what I need to get for the job that works out to a number that I would make on any other job. It's like no different than when I get paid by certain people stupid money to set up a Mac or some other piece of Hardware that I don't actually sell. The other alternative is just turn down the work. "We don't do that here. " or even blow smoke if needed "my attorney says I can't do that. We are on the hook on liability, for my insurance to cover me properly I have to buy all the parts at least in most cases. Sorry. " there's all kinds of stuff you can do instead of getting upset about it just say no.

No different than when I have a one-off that calls me and they're like I want to set up my whole house wirelessly and I'm like "I can't be involved in that. In my experience that's not a good customer outcome and I don't want to get blamed for it. I can't knowingly sell something i think is a terrible idea. Sorry. "

The problem with using your product is when it fails or it is defective. You buy crap from Auto Zone not the same as OEM. Maybe oil is oil but most shops won't use your parts and stand behind them. Just makes sense.
Well if some guy shows up with garbage then basically you just tell them that we don't put that stuff in people's cars here because of liability if I knowingly put what I think a bad product is and somebody's car then I'm going to get in a lot of trouble" I guess what I'm getting at is it's not that hard to tell skinflints to f*** off. And like a couple guys in this thread are saying there's a big difference between somebody wanting like say Amsoil or Redline, BioSyn RLI, or some variant of Mobil 1 EP, etc that the shop doesn't stock..... and Chinese gutter oil that's given some kind of like API pseudo-specification on the bottle. 🤣

@CMEBoston @jaypap although this side rack gives me an idea for a great meme that you could put on a poster in every mechanic shop that basically like shows this fat guy on a mobility scooter with like his gut hanging out and holding a bag of cheap shit from Walmart and like a filter that says like "100% pure chinesium" on it... 🤣

"Somebuddy tole meah you kin put dis in fer me.... i got dis for 30 cents a qart with da coupon. Filtah was $2.99. " 🤣

@CMEBoston @jaypap although this side rack gives me an idea for a great meme that you could put on a poster in every mechanic shop that basically like shows this fat guy on a mobility scooter with like his gut hanging out and holding a bag of cheap shit from Walmart and like a filter that says like "100% pure chinesium" on it... 🤣

"Somebuddy tole meah you kin put dis in fer me.... i got dis for 30 cents a qart with da coupon. Filtah was $2.99. " 🤣
In the off season (fisherman) I sell and install marine electronics
I used to get upset when people would buy their own equipment I was missing out on 20 to 25% of an average package that costs $20,000

So I came up with a new policy
I will install user supplied equipment but..
There will be no quote, you are paying me for time and materials
The warranty is on you. If you have a problem with the equipment you can pay me to troubleshoot it and chase the company for your money.
And your last on the list I don’t care if I have your boat totally torn apart. If someone calls and buys a package from me you’re gonna have to wait.
And you’re paying me 1.5 my labor rate

That usually put some sense into them

My local mechanic changes the oil/filter for $20. I used to work for the Shell oil plant up in Canada and I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because they make it and I know what goes in it. The oil you get is a combination of base oils and the additive packs, they may not be the same even if they come out of the same blender/distributor. For filters, I stick to wix or good OEM (Honda OEM, for example). In absence of Ultra Platinum, can use just Platinum (different additive pack, same base oils made from Qatari natural gas) or just Mobil1 (good enough). RedLine, Amsoil are also good picks, even that high moly shit that Subaru fanboys like. Basically, going full synthetic with modern engine will get you good results.

Flint alert 🚨🚨🚨

At Jeep for an oil/filter change ($100) and…

Service: do you want your tires rotated?”

Me: how much is it?

Service: $50

Me: lol no

I don’t have a garage anymore, nor a flat driveway, so if I’m not online this weekend the Jeep fell on me.
The first 5 years I had my RAM, I brought it to dealer for the free oil changes, they charged $29 to rotate the tires, so I had them do it every other oil change. I really hate rotating tires with a jack and jack stands LOL But would not have paid $50 :)

The first 5 years I had my RAM, I brought it to dealer for the free oil changes, they charged $29 to rotate the tires, so I had them do it every other oil change. I really hate rotating tires with a jack and jack stands LOL But would not have paid $50 :)
The 33s on the Jeep aren’t getting any lighter. But $190 for oil change and tire rotation? NFW

I can't imagine going to a shop with my own parts and asking them to install it. If they can't get the part I want, or don't carry the product I prefer, I'll go somewhere that can.

Flint alert 🚨🚨🚨

At Jeep for an oil/filter change ($100) and…

Service: do you want your tires rotated?”

Me: how much is it?

Service: $50

Me: lol no

I don’t have a garage anymore, nor a flat driveway, so if I’m not online this weekend the Jeep fell on me.
Calling dibs on your guns and your dog.

Oil change price went from $90 to $140 at Dartmouth Jeep in 3 months!!!!

“Labor costs went up”

NFW. I’ll be doing it myself from now on.
Dude.
Call Rogers automotive on route 6 and ask how much for the oil change and tire rotation. He’s a solid guy and I’d be shocked if he was 200 for an oil change and tire rotation.
Only mechanic I trust.

Dude.
Call Rogers automotive on route 6 and ask how much for the oil change and tire rotation. He’s a solid guy and I’d be shocked if he was 200 for an oil change and tire rotation.
Only mechanic I trust.
Thanks! Is it owner operated? I definitely don’t mind paying at a local mom&pop

I’m more angry that Dartmouth Jeep increased the price 50% and didn’t think that was worth mentioning.

Thanks! Is it owner operated? I definitely don’t mind paying at a local mom&pop

I’m more angry that Dartmouth Jeep increased the price 50% and didn’t think that was worth mentioning.
Yeah Dave is a Westport guy his whole life. I think he has 2 guys with him now.
I know everything is expensive now but I seriously can’t imagine him being that much.
If I’m wrong come back and break my balls lol.

Back
Top Bottom