Car oil change

I change this myself before major service (also the engine air filter). If the dealership tries to sell me a new one, I know they are thieves.

I also discretely mark my tires to verify rotation when I order it. So far, the rotations have actually happened.
I can tell when my tires are rotated because of the excessive brake dust on the front wheels...if excessive brake dust is on the rear wheels then I know they have been rotated...not very discrete but it works...lol

I just did mine yesterday
$50 in oil and filters…..now. 😢
I take photos and keep the receipts for warranty
I do have access to a lift though.
I would not do it myself if I had to crawl under it

Last edited:
How would you know if they changed the cabin air filter unless you went through the trouble of disassembling the glovebox and checking it yourself?
If a car is out of warranty, I would buy the oil and filter myself and bring it to an independent shop.
Bring your own oil and filter to a shop , lol
Maybe a shop you have a very long relationship with. You would get the NO

A Toyota dealership probably uses 0W-20 on 90% of their cars, and the rest are 0W-16 on the hybrids, Both are synthetics to meet manufacturers specs and keep the warranty intact. Before 2009 it was 5W-30

They are probably pumping it out of 55 gallon drums either into a can, or piped to the lube area.

Companies like Dennis K Burke are pretty well known and I can't say I have heard of them delivering mis-marked product, or in the case of bulk into tanks the wrong stuff.

Seeing oil heavier than 20W is getting less and less frequent, at least in my world.

Some Fords require 5W-20

But once the oil gets warm it goes to 20W viscosity pretty fast.

And the reason for that is many cars are using the engine oil as hydraulic fluid in displacement on demand and variable cam timing mechanisms, you use a heavier oil in a Ford that wants 20W and the cam phasors go ballistic.

I'd be more concerned that the additive package in the oil meets the manufacturers specs, for example GM and their DEXOS spec on top of an API spec, especially while under warranty because if there is an engine failure you know that they are sending a sample to a lab to verify it meets their specifcations
We buy 0-20 in bulk (250 g) and its cheaper than 5-30 (100 g)
Anything else is not worth buying in bulk so its per case.
0-20 and 5-30 syn blend are the 2 high use oils.

Oh boy... a car oil thread. On most forums or FB it's tons of people with zero idea of what they are talking about yet have strong opinions and beliefs about oil.

You don't really know unless you want to get the oil tested by a lab, such as Blackstone. The easiest solution, if you have the means, is to change it yourself. Doing basic maintenance like that can save you a lot of money (and time), plus you know it's getting done.

I've seen places charging $70-100 for a synthetic oil change, which can be done in your driveway for $30 and 15 minutes.
Im going to say NO
Your not buying oil and filter for $30
Im not sure when people start the clock on a oil change.
But 15 min eh
Is that including
Time to get supplies, tools out , prep car drain and fill clean up?

Rather than skimming the customer for whatever you’re making off parts, why not just charge hourly rate if they bring their own oil and filter?

I’d be fine with supplying my own oil and filter and paying $50 or whatever for 1/2 hour labor, rather than using whatever shit Fram filter and crap oil the shop is buying in bulk.

Rather than skimming the customer for whatever you’re making off parts, why not just charge hourly rate if they bring their own oil and filter?

I’d be fine with supplying my own oil and filter and paying $50 or whatever for 1/2 hour labor, rather than using whatever shit Fram filter and crap oil the shop is buying in bulk.
Well at least your honest about what you expect to pay.
Try to tell most customer $50 to change the oil and they cry thief.
Theres not a lot of money being made on oil changes in a general repair shop.
If I ran the shop I would probably not do just oil change
Oil change with other work or part of a service package , sure.
I actually hate doing oil changes.

This is how you handle a customer that brings their own oil:
"That's great that you brought you own oil/filter/ham sandwich. I'm happy to do the job, but just letting you know that I still charge the standard service rate. If you're cool with that, we can proceed and get your car worked on asap." Done.

Im going to say NO
Your not buying oil and filter for $30
Im not sure when people start the clock on a oil change.
But 15 min eh
Is that including
Time to get supplies, tools out , prep car drain and fill clean up?
Yup. I've done plenty of cars where I got 5 qts of synthetic oil for $20-25 and filter for $5-10. Many shops charge $70+ for that.

NOT at AutoZone or O'Rieliys where they charge $45 for the same 5 qt jug that can be had across the street at Walmart for $20. No that 15 mins does not include sourcing the oil/filter and disposal, but I usually do that days before and after.

Most cars take 4-5 qts. Here's Quaker State synthetic for $21.50

Here's a filter for a 2014 Camry for $7.50

You can get drain plug crush washers in bulk on eBay or Amazon, but let's say it's 25 cents each.

Comes out to a few cents under $30. This is on the lower end but certainly doable for significantly cheaper for most cars than at most oil change places.

Last edited:
Yup. I've done plenty of cars where I got 5 qts of synthetic oil for $20-25 and filter for $5-10. Many shops charge $70+ for that.

NOT at AutoZone or O'Rieliys where they charge $45 for the same 5 qt jug that can be had across the street at Walmart for $20. No that 15 mins does not include sourcing the oil/filter and disposal, but I usually do that days before and after.
I went to walmart 3 weeks ago to grab a jug of 10/30 it was the cheapest at $27 ?
Maybe the shops buy all the house brand super tech , that shits never in stock, lol.
Work we use Castrol and mobil 1
I just wanted plain old 10/30 its all my snowblower has ever had in it.
I dont like change.

Last edited:
True which is why I'd be extra skeptical about them turning it into a means of trying to sell you repairs that are not needed or more than what's needed.
Heck most people we do stickers for are not regular customers anyway. So a rejection is just that.

Most cars take 4-5 qts. Here's Quaker State synthetic for $21.50

Here's a filter for a 2014 Camry for $7.50

You can get drain plug crush washers in bulk on eBay or Amazon, but let's say it's 25 cents each.

Comes out to a few cents under $30. This is on the lower end but certainly doable for significantly cheaper for most cars than at most oil change places.
I seem to not find those prices in stores. Lol
Maybe I need to start ordering on line.
Heck im not so sure I would change my own oil if I did not work at a shop, lol

I seem to not find those prices in stores. Lol
Maybe I need to start ordering on line.
Heck im not so sure I would change my own oil if I did not work at a shop, lol
Yeah no hate to people who don't but I think it's a better value to especially if you have several cars in the household. It can be a good deal if you shop around a little in advance

Yeah no hate to people who don't but I think it's a better value to especially if you have several cars in the household. It can be a good deal if you shop around a little in advance
This all factors into my time, if im going to use my time its here on NES lol.

I’m sitting here at the car dealership for regular maintenance and an oil change and my vehicle takes 0W-20
How would I ever know that I’m getting something else rather than when I’m paying for? Maybe 5W-30 instead. maybe it’s just I don’t trust car dealerships.
If you change it yourself you will have plenty of gun lube…..

Well at least your honest about what you expect to pay.
Try to tell most customer $50 to change the oil and they cry thief.
Theres not a lot of money being made on oil changes in a general repair shop.
If I ran the shop I would probably not do just oil change
Oil change with other work or part of a service package , sure.
I actually hate doing oil changes.
I had the oil changed in my truck on Saturday. Central Buick GMC dealer in Norwood.

It was $139.86.

They did not rotate the tires.

I had quit doing my own oil changes on my Lexus until this past summer when I realized my local mechanic who is a great guy gets $90 for it. I just did one last week, $43 for full synthetic 020W with filter and a cabin filter. Autozone and those places are always running deals on oil and filters, I usually get Mobil 1 for the wife's GM and Castro or Penns oil for my Japanese stuff. Being the frugal guy that I am I stock up on my way back from NH and skip the ma tax boy.

I brought my own coffee.

But I did get to watch YouTube clips of Steve Harvey on family fued.
Nice couch or leather chairs, how was the TV
Theres probably cheaper towns to get a oil change lol
So did you go over the oil qt limit,
No rotation are 8 lug wheels not included.
No coupon codes or rebates….lol

I had the oil changed in my truck on Saturday. Central Buick GMC dealer in Norwood.

It was $139.86.

They did not rotate the tires.
If you are physically able and have the space, you can DIY for a third of that price.... I'm thin so I don't even have to jack up some trucks

Back
Top Bottom