Car oil change

I had a friend who collected classic motorbikes, actually I bought my 1979 CBX six 1000cc off him back in the day, I was a big believer in synthetic oils which were a new thing back then. He listened to me and then he decided to roll with Mobile 1 in his vehicles. He call his mechanic and his wife took her took her Cadillac down to the local oil change shop for an oil & filter, he specified Mobile1, Well they didn't tighten the oll drain plug, and it blew out driving out of the shop, His wife didn't notice the red idiot lights lighting up the dashboard and continue to drive around town for about 30 minutes with no oil doing her errands.... I'm not sure what the lesson is here and I don't really care.... I almost forgot the good news was his engine was fine

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you at all. All I'm saying is that at 60+ years old and having a prosthetic leg and a bad hip and back I made the decision that working on my vehicles was something I wasn't going to do anymore.
I understand completely. A few years ago I was installing my shift linkage and it was cold as hell. So cold I ended up getting some frostbite on my index finger!

During the winter I work on my ‘67 as I don’t drive it because of the salt. This year I am installing new cab mounts, and I just rebuilt the gauge cluster, put in a new lens and painted all the needles, etc. I also installed a new carrier bearing, pretty easy to do it the bed is off! Damn, that truck is cleaner than a 2024!

4C4CA0A8-949F-4BA0-B615-F41D004034DC.jpeg

I’m sitting here at the car dealership for regular maintenance and an oil change and my vehicle takes 0W-20
How would I ever know that I’m getting something else rather than when I’m paying for? Maybe 5W-30 instead. maybe it’s just I don’t trust car dealerships.

Oh boy... a car oil thread. On most forums or FB it's tons of people with zero idea of what they are talking about yet have strong opinions and beliefs about oil.

You don't really know unless you want to get the oil tested by a lab, such as Blackstone. The easiest solution, if you have the means, is to change it yourself. Doing basic maintenance like that can save you a lot of money (and time), plus you know it's getting done.

I've seen places charging $70-100 for a synthetic oil change, which can be done in your driveway for $30 and 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I'm a nut, a Chem E who reads www.bobistheoilguy.com for fun

You ask the question that no one asks. Dealerships have big bulk barrels of oil of various viscosities and they just draw from them. You are kidding yourself if you think the Toyota dealership uses individual bottles of Toyota branded oil. For the one "free" change they did on my 2021 RAV4, they used 0W-20 instead of the manual stated 0W-16 because they told me "they are the same thing". They added 5 quarts, overfilling it instead of adding 4.8 qts in the manual because "no one checks their oil and a little extra is good"

I've got an $80 set of Rhino ramps and maybe another $50 worth of tools and a drain pan and can do an oil change in under half an hour. Replace the darn crush washer too. I have a 5 gal jug I dump the old oil in and bring it to one of the auto parts stores for recycling.

I changed the oil at 750 miles, 1500 then 5K on my new car and do it every 5K or 6 months. Each oil change costs me about $45 for the car I spent $35K on.
You're wasting money changing oil that frequently. Many of my vehicles get oil changes when I feel like it which usually is way past the recommended intervals and they go way past 200K miles with no problem ever. My newer vehicles and the dealer keep pestering me to change the oil but I still procrastinate and change it when I feel like it.

You're wasting money changing oil that frequently. Many of my vehicles get oil changes when I feel like it which usually is way past the recommended intervals and they go way past 200K miles with no problem ever. My newer vehicles and the dealer keep pestering me to change the oil but I still procrastinate and change it when I feel like it.
Yes I might be wasting $50 and half an hour of my time each year servicing my $35K car with too frequest oil changes. I'll live with that.

2004 Honda Pilot - 274K miles until frame rust totaled it
2008 Toyota Prius 242K miles still going strong with my kid.
2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 202K miles, my daily driver
2021 RAV4 20K miles - wife's daily.
That's about 140 oil changes, maybe 20 too many at $50 each, call it I wasted $1K,

I'll be going until I find a new regular barber. I won't be going to Sports Clips again as they did a crappy job. My tonsorial needs, like my hair a fairly minimal, but a hair cut that lasts a mere two weeks is inadequate.
Depends on the cut you have. I reccomend people stay away from Super cuts, great clips or whatever because they usually are bad and give mediocre at best haircuts.

Depending where you are I can suggest some good places

Yes I might be wasting $50 and half an hour of my time each year servicing my $35K car with too frequest oil changes. I'll live with that.

2004 Honda Pilot - 274K miles until frame rust totaled it
2008 Toyota Prius 242K miles still going strong with my kid.
2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 202K miles, my daily driver
2021 RAV4 20K miles - wife's daily.
That's about 140 oil changes, maybe 20 too many at $50 each, call it I wasted $1K,
You could have bought another gun with that $1000. [smile]

Oh boy... a car oil thread. On most forums or FB it's tons of people with zero idea of what they are talking about yet have strong opinions and beliefs about oil.

You don't really know unless you want to get the oil tested by a lab, such as Blackstone. The easiest solution, if you have the means, is to change it yourself. Doing basic maintenance like that can save you a lot of money (and time), plus you know it's getting done.

I've seen places charging $70-100 for a synthetic oil change, which can be done in your driveway for $30 and 15 minutes.

The real question is whether you pre-fill or don’t pre-fill the oil filter.

Actually just went outside and changed my oil in my Sierra. I just bought it and the dealer did change the oil, but I don’t know what oil they used so I did it myself.
I save my receipts. Keep a log for the warranty.
Mobil 1 oil and a Purolator oil filter.
I also ordered a cabin filter, but they already changed that so it looks like they said what they did.
I’ll save that for next time

Never heard of Blackstone until reading your post- just ordered a kit..ty

Actually just went outside and changed my oil in my Sierra. I just bought it and the dealer did change the oil, but I don’t know what oil they used so I did it myself.
I save my receipts. Keep a log for the warranty.
Mobil 1 oil and a Purolator oil filter.
I also ordered a cabin filter, but they already changed that so it looks like they said what they did.
I’ll save that for next time

I do the same. Mobile one full synthetic and a K&N filter. I prefill the filter to reduce the time the engine is running with low oil pressure on the restart after the oil change.

IIRC GM runs a semi-synthetic oil.

+1 for teaching the kids. I started with my Dad on his 75 Impala. I can remember using the round cans of Quaker State with the funnel you would puncture through the top, those were the days! I was changing Dad's oil for him on his next car in 1989, and have done all his oil changes since to this day. 14 and he trusted me to do it. So I'm teaching my boys now too, and giving them some sense of responsibility. Of course it was easier then, 10w30 winter, 10w40 summer.

Back
Top Bottom