• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

can't find paperwork for a transfer

forgive me if this has been asked, can't find a thread about it.
Im not shitting my pants, just asking for advice here.. please keep it to the point

was going through my firearms paperwork last night as i like to organize it annually, and realized i have 1 missing piece. I did a transfer at JandJ Arms in Dedham back in August/Sept of 2021 (sold it here in the classifieds) but realizing i don't have a copy of the transfer, only have a copy of the registration when i bought it. is that a big deal or no? if it is, anyone have any idea how to recover a copy of it? Id ask the person i sold it to if they have a copy they could send me but it was so long ago that i might've deleted the messages between him and i for the meet-up so i don't even know/remember who it was transferred to.

It is the smallest of infinitesimally small deals.

I, like most NESers, pretty much just throw those away as soon as I get them. Nine times out of ten, EFA-10 forms exist as nothing more than images on my phone.

I'll put it this way: if you're ever in bad enough trouble that the state comes a-knockin' looking for your gats? You really think they'll take your paperwork into account? No, it's their paperwork that'll matter in that case. Really, truly, there's no good reason to hang onto those. I'm aware that won't cut any ice with a guy who cares enough to organize his papers every year, but that doesn't make me wrong.

I have lost track of the thousand guns that I have sold in the past 30 years. 4 moves over that time and this stuff gets lost or missed boxed and sometimes never found again. I have never been worried about this. I can't even remember what some of the guns I sold were, some sold to dealers out of state some person to person in state and some to dealers in state.

It is the smallest of infinitesimally small deals.

I, like most NESers, pretty much just throw those away as soon as I get them. Nine times out of ten, EFA-10 forms exist as nothing more than images on my phone.

I'll put it this way: if you're ever in bad enough trouble that the state comes a-knockin' looking for your gats? You really think they'll take your paperwork into account? No, it's their paperwork that'll matter in that case. Really, truly, there's no good reason to hang onto those. I'm aware that won't cut any ice with a guy who cares enough to organize his papers every year, but that doesn't make me wrong.
In 2012 I did hear an old timer at the bass pro counter tell a customer they needed to keep it because "it is the only document to show ownership and that it's registered to you"
[rofl]

In 2012 I did hear an old timer at the bass pro counter tell a customer they needed to keep it because "it is the only document to show ownership and that it's registered to you"
[rofl]

I'm now wondering whether the OP also keeps all those stapled packets of photocopied MA law fliers the FFLs give you along with the mandatory trigger locks he probably stores in an organized box.

I'm now wondering whether the OP also keeps all those stapled packets of photocopied MA law fliers the FFLs give you along with the mandatory trigger locks he probably stores in an organized box.
Chamber flags organized by gun.

Good for him for being organized. But I'll never be there.

[rofl]
One of the guys at my club (Fudd) thought this was a law. I said there is no fxcking law that you have to keep and maintain gun paperwork unless you are an FFL.

If there is........ Show me it? Legally Cite it?

Yeah...crickets.

To the OP.....if you did a dealer transfer.....there is no FA-10 paperwork on your end....maybe likely why its "missing"

Your selling to a dealer, which technically is not a personal transfer, so there will be no FA-10 form. You get a reciept from inbounding it into their bound book, and them owning it now.......if you want one, and if they give one. The dealer is making the sale, not you. Gun gets transferred from them to new buyer and FA-10 is generated by the dealer as being the selling party. Therefore making it impossible to make an FA-10 form with your name on it to the new buyer.

Other than that, there is no law to maintain these at all. You can burn them all and piss out the fire if that's what you want to do with them. Because the system is about as good as that for traceability....... that stupid system has me owning every gun I've ever traded, or sold to a dealer like KTP, out of state. Full retard. I mean I get a reciept for them.....but no one is looking at it without a warrant signed by a judge, after the advice of my attorney.........if I even have said document. Its very possible all that could be said was.....traded that at KTP a while ago, go bug them for it.
Thank you for this actual answer

WWRS? (What Would Reptile Say?)

He would say:

- OP, if someone commits a crime and the police recover the weapon, they will come to you. You won't be able to provide proof you sold it and will most likely go to jail. Buy my Noveske lower for $2000, it is the only way to stay compliant.

Note: only posted this because the question was answered. I don't sh*t on threads where the OP asks for people to not sh*t.

Last edited:
WWRS? (What Would Reptile Say?)

He would say:

- OP, if someone commits a crime and the police recover the weapon, they will come to you. You won't be able to provide proof you sold it and will most likely go to jail. Buy my Noveske lower for $2000, it is the only way to stay compliant.

Note: only posted this because the question was answer. I don't sh*t on threads where the OP asks for people to not sh*t.
Or buy my used glock preban for 1 million dollars and I won't provide any proof that its preban........

The state has no accurate idea what you have or don’t have.
This became very clear when they had the big data leak earlier this year. I quickly found my ID and saw some of my guns missing from the system entirely, some that I sold that we're still registered to me, etc. The whole system is a mess, I don't know why they even bother pretending that it can ever be useful.

send me $50k in unmarked 5's by friday or i'm dropping a dime and gonna tell...well, i'll tell somebody who cares when i find someone. [laugh]

paperwork

What f***ing year is it? You guys actually keep paperwork? Unreal. I bet you also have plastic on your couches, decorate your cape homes with nautical themes, subscribe to reader's digest and watch home shopping channels.

Get one of these

and declutter your work space

What f***ing year is it? You guys actually keep paperwork? Unreal. I bet you also have plastic on your couches, decorate your cape homes with nautical themes, subscribe to reader's digest and watch home shopping channels.

Get one of these

A scanner?

What are you 50 years old?

Use your phone.

Get one of these

Only half credit. I was hoping it had a shredder built in.

I've given up on organizing paperwork. I usually keep it in a composting pile on my desk for about 8 months and then throw the whole shebang away.

Once or twice every 5 years or so, I regret tossing a piece of paper, but I get over it quickly. Birth certificates, SS cards, passports - they're all replaced easy enough. I've never had an emergency where I needed that stuff quickly. Gun stuff doesn't even rate a blip on my radar, even when I was I subject in Mass.
Lol, you throw away your passports and SS?

I keep the important papers in one folder inside a safe:
Passports
Naturalization paper (equivalent of birth certificate)
Argentine National ID
US passport card
Other States LTC (and some expired MA LTC - I don't know why, but they are there)
Marriage certificate
LTC safety class
Hunters safety class

I think that is about it. Everything I could ever need.

Besides that I keep 2 or 3 bills with my address, like the past 3 months electric and past 3 months mortgage in case I ever need them for something like REAL ID.

Besides that, it all goes from mailbox > shredder > trash > recycling > back to my mailbox > ... the circle of life.

I made the mistake of keeping bills for like 6 years before. I had soemthing like 9 shoe boxes full of bills. Shredding and burning all thst crap s*cked. When I though I was done I found a bunch of college paperwork, notes and old job notebooks with customer names and junk from calls ... I filled two and a half 30gallon trash bags with shredded paper. It was stupid.

A scanner?

What are you 50 years old?

Use your phone.

This is faster. Thing has a 50 page hopper so you can put stacks of stuff in there. Gives really crisp clear images. Plus you don't have to worry about embarrassing things in the background of your photos.

This is faster. Thing has a 50 page hopper so you can put stacks of stuff in there. Gives really crisp clear images. Plus you don't have to worry about embarrassing things in the background of your photos.
Until it jams like a 1911 and you want to throw it out the window.

What kind of embarrassing things behind pics?
Like, you were holding the paper up and your .40 Shield was in the pic?

Color coded by year or individual Pedaflex tab folders? Asking for a friend.
#10 white envelopes with the make/model/SN/price on the outside of the envelope, FA10 printout and receipts for any accessories bought also in the envelope. all paperwork scanned to PDF and stored in an encrypted folder. also spreadsheets tracking each range trip, date, weather, firearm(s) used and quantity of which ammo used in each firearm. seperate spreadsheet to track ammo purchases with tabs for type (pistol/rifle/commercial/handload/ammo cost/component cost)

and no, i'm not joking, LOL..... i can tell you how much i paid for WSP primers 10 years ago and how much .22LR i have (to the round) and how many rounds have been through my Shield 2.0, and the dates they were fired.

#10 white envelopes with the make/model/SN/price on the outside of the envelope, FA10 printout and receipts for any accessories bought also in the envelope. all paperwork scanned to PDF and stored in an encrypted folder. also spreadsheets tracking each range trip, date, weather, firearm(s) used and quantity of which ammo used in each firearm. seperate spreadsheet to track ammo purchases with tabs for type (pistol/rifle/commercial/handload/ammo cost/component cost)

and no, i'm not joking, LOL..... i can tell you how much i paid for WSP primers 10 years ago and how much .22LR i have (to the round) and how many rounds have been through my Shield 2.0, and the dates they were fired.
Uhhhhh ok

Good for you

but can you tell us your anniversary?

Back
Top Bottom