• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

can't find paperwork for a transfer

Nico9283

NES Member
forgive me if this has been asked, can't find a thread about it.
Im not shitting my pants, just asking for advice here.. please keep it to the point

was going through my firearms paperwork last night as i like to organize it annually, and realized i have 1 missing piece. I did a transfer at JandJ Arms in Dedham back in August/Sept of 2021 (sold it here in the classifieds) but realizing i don't have a copy of the transfer, only have a copy of the registration when i bought it. is that a big deal or no? if it is, anyone have any idea how to recover a copy of it? Id ask the person i sold it to if they have a copy they could send me but it was so long ago that i might've deleted the messages between him and i for the meet-up so i don't even know/remember who it was transferred to.

Just curious what you think you need the transfer paperwork for that requires an annual sorting.
22pe4t.jpg

Just relax. Organizing your papers every year? Ain't got time for that and who cares?

WTF, you don't organize your papers every year???? I do it every year, well, maybe every 5 years, actually probably every 10 years, who the fruck am I kidding, I haven't done it in decades, not since I was born I guess.

I keep a staff of 3 people employed tracking and verifying every piece of gun merchandise and parts I've bought. We use state of the art computers and are currently integrating with AI to make sure we have the fastest retrieval methods available.

I'm just effing with you... I got papers all over the place. But... IIRC there's no legal requirement to keep them.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Just relax. Organizing your papers every year? Ain't got time for that and who cares?
I own a contracting company.. you wouldn’t be able to possibly fathom how much time I have to spend organizing paperwork and tax docs… 5 mins once per year is child’s play

There's no legal obligation to maintain these records.

Honestly those who don't just summarily destroy these forms, should be storing them offsite somewhere that the guns are not. Curious waffen SS type kopsch have used "gun paperwork" as pretexts for indictments and other warrants. (See also, Michael Lara case, etc).

@Len-2A Training, is there any legal requirement to keep an FA-10 for a purchase or sale???

thx
No. However, with MA laws I figured that it might have helped my Wife sell them via a dealer when I was gone. Now that I'm in NH and my Wife is in hospice, I plan on disposing of a lot of my guns and it makes sales to MA a viable option for most of them. Papers will prove guns were in MA prior to the 1998 cutoff date.

Last edited:
Nobody gives a shit about your transfer paperwork.

I have had a gun taken by police because the prior owner committed a non-violent crime, my efa10 as proof of purchase before the owner had their ltc revoked was more useless than previously used toilet paper.

Last edited:
I've sold probably a dozen or so guns to gun shops. I think I've gotten a State form back. . . . once or twice. Maybe.

To the OP.....if you did a dealer transfer.....there is no FA-10 paperwork on your end....maybe likely why its "missing"

Your selling to a dealer, which technically is not a personal transfer, so there will be no FA-10 form. You get a reciept from inbounding it into their bound book, and them owning it now.......if you want one, and if they give one. The dealer is making the sale, not you. Gun gets transferred from them to new buyer and FA-10 is generated by the dealer as being the selling party. Therefore making it impossible to make an FA-10 form with your name on it to the new buyer.

Other than that, there is no law to maintain these at all. You can burn them all and piss out the fire if that's what you want to do with them. Because the system is about as good as that for traceability....... that stupid system has me owning every gun I've ever traded, or sold to a dealer like KTP, out of state. Full retard. I mean I get a reciept for them.....but no one is looking at it without a warrant signed by a judge, after the advice of my attorney.........if I even have said document. Its very possible all that could be said was.....traded that at KTP a while ago, go bug them for it.

Last edited:
There's no legal obligation to maintain these records.

Honestly those who don't just summarily destroy these forms, should be storing them offsite somewhere that the guns are not. Curious waffen SS type kopsch have used "gun paperwork" as pretexts for indictments and other warrants. (See also, Michael Lara case, etc).

Never thought of that... I have a folder in the office safe & I think I'll send them to the shred company. I keep an electronic record of what I own just so I don't lose track of things, if I should ever have something stolen etc. but maybe keeping paper records which might be found upon search isn't a good idea.

OP if you’re a business owner and you can’t cough up $24 to help support the site but continually tell those who do that they must edit down their answers to your liking from whatever inane idea is swimming around your head at the time you’re in for a long ride.

Free advice worth exactly what you paid for it.

I've given up on organizing paperwork. I usually keep it in a composting pile on my desk for about 8 months and then throw the whole shebang away.

Once or twice every 5 years or so, I regret tossing a piece of paper, but I get over it quickly. Birth certificates, SS cards, passports - they're all replaced easy enough. I've never had an emergency where I needed that stuff quickly. Gun stuff doesn't even rate a blip on my radar, even when I was I subject in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom