• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

can't find paperwork for a transfer

And if serial number, and other info was input wrong, what is that piece of paper worth?

Its not like there's a hard stop or check in a database of Serial numbers on that gun type if you enter something wrong.
This.

I have seen, true story, FA10 with all the info wrong. Not just one number, but the entire serial and model wrong.

I guess that person is entitled to the gun in the FA10.

This.

I have seen, true story, FA10 with all the info wrong. Not just one number, but the entire serial and model wrong.

If I see someone here post a picture of their gun with the serial visible and I file an eFA10 transferring that gun to me, is it now legally mine? [pot]

Edit - better yet, grab that data leak spreadsheet and register thousands of guns to yourself or to anyone else whose LTC you might know (e.g. anyone you've ever done a FTF with). The entire system is meaningless.

Last edited:
I keep a staff of 3 people employed tracking and verifying every piece of gun merchandise and parts I've bought. We use state of the art computers and are currently integrating with AI to make sure we have the fastest retrieval methods available.

I'm just effing with you... I got papers all over the place. But... IIRC there's no legal requirement to keep them.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The state has no way to KNOW if you have all the paperwork because they LOST half of it.

forgive me if this has been asked, can't find a thread about it.
Im not shitting my pants, just asking for advice here.. please keep it to the point

was going through my firearms paperwork last night as i like to organize it annually, and realized i have 1 missing piece. I did a transfer at JandJ Arms in Dedham back in August/Sept of 2021 (sold it here in the classifieds) but realizing i don't have a copy of the transfer, only have a copy of the registration when i bought it. is that a big deal or no? if it is, anyone have any idea how to recover a copy of it? Id ask the person i sold it to if they have a copy they could send me but it was so long ago that i might've deleted the messages between him and i for the meet-up so i don't even know/remember who it was transferred to.

You can probably find a record of your transfer in the data dump the state did of all the gun transfers.

But, don't worry about it.

I keep everything in a storage box in the rafters as I like to have the references and everything in one place though I do have a Marlin 983S that the FFL put the wrong serial number on the paperwork. I just wrote the right one above it, stuck it in a labeled envelope with the rest of the paperwork that came with it (manual, receipt, etc.) and into the storage box with the rest of them. I pretty much keep everything that comes with them except the cable locks (I prefer my own) and cardboard. I do keep any hard cases.

I also keep an active computer file (two actually) on all of them. Each has it's own page(s) with all the information in the header (the when & where I bought it, serial number, model number, caliber(s), added accessories, deleted accessories, image and so on.) and large 3 ring binders for hardcopies. The first one has a round count, brand and lot #, and a rating of 1-5 by performance. The second one is a dupe of the first except it's my reloading information, recipes, and performance for each individual one. I also store any worthwhile receipts for each behind their page in order.

It only takes about 5 minutes to update them and print a new page(s) after a range session and maybe 10 minutes to build a new one. I know it sounds retentive but it's helpful, at least in my case. Without getting into numbers of, I do maintain 27 different calibers by way of stocking.

As for the state and their new game, they can go to hell. They want to change the rules and make everyone a felon, I hope they have the prisons and a new tax base to support them. Bunch of maggots.

I keep everything in a storage box in the rafters as I like to have the references and everything in one place though I do have a Marlin 983S that the FFL put the wrong serial number on the paperwork. I just wrote the right one above it, stuck it in a labeled envelope with the rest of the paperwork that came with it (manual, receipt, etc.) and into the storage box with the rest of them. I pretty much keep everything that comes with them except the cable locks (I prefer my own) and cardboard. I do keep any hard cases.

I also keep an active computer file (two actually) on all of them. Each has it's own page(s) with all the information in the header (the when & where I bought it, serial number, model number, caliber(s), added accessories, deleted accessories, image and so on.) and large 3 ring binders for hardcopies. The first one has a round count, brand and lot #, and a rating of 1-5 by performance. The second one is a dupe of the first except it's my reloading information, recipes, and performance for each individual one. I also store any worthwhile receipts for each behind their page in order.

It only takes about 5 minutes to update them and print a new page(s) after a range session and maybe 10 minutes to build a new one. I know it sounds retentive but it's helpful, at least in my case. Without getting into numbers of, I do maintain 27 different calibers by way of stocking.

As for the state and their new game, they can go to hell. They want to change the rules and make everyone a felon, I hope they have the prisons and a new tax base to support them. Bunch of maggots.

Jesus, I really suck.

This.

I can think of at least six firearms I've owned, off the top of my head, where the SN is listed differently on various EFA10s.

Anyone who sells a Ballester-Molina without doing their homework? There's a great chance the number on the EFA10 is wrong. Everyone who's sold any FAL, Galil, Uzi, AK, or G3 made from a parts kit on a US-made receiver? There's a great chance the number on the EFA10 is wrong. I make a point of knowing where the SNs actually are on guns like that, and when I pass them on I record the right one on the EFA10, but I'd bet good money prior sellers (and subsequent ones) probably make those kinds of errors in good faith all the time. I don't correct sellers who sell me guns that way, even when I know they're wrong; that's how much respect I have for the process. And it's not my responsibility as the buyer.

I've seen FFLs screw up Ballester-Molina SNs, too.

Organizing records just makes it easier for the Gov to audit them. Sure, keep them just in case, but (non-gun example) you'd be surprised how uninterested the IRS becomes when they ask for records and you give then a paper bag stuffed full of receipts and just say "I have complied, have fun"

Jesus, I really suck.

No you don't. Most won't either. Like I said, it's do to the number and the various calibers, most I reload for. One load will work better in this 357 or 308 and another will work better in different ones. A case in point: My BAR-10 can use both 308 and 7.62 but if I reload it to use in my 673 308 I'll have to over cam the shoulders or it's a really tight squeeze. Chambers for the two calibers are actually different, it's stuff like that. Plus I may modify one but keep the original parts. It's nice to know exactly what if I ever need to revert it or something makes it hit the southbound. I never would bother either if I had fewer.

Back
Top Bottom