• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can we talk about how bad OpticsPlanet is

I have ordered from them a few times.
I now try to avoid them at all costs.

I have had less issues with their sister company, DVOR, though their ‘deals’ are rarely all that much of a deal.

Arms Unlimited, DSG, Rainier Arms and Damage Industries are my go to now, just wish they had more in stock.
Agreed. I order on DVOR occasionally, but I always confirm their prices are actually a deal. I've discovered a couple things on there, then found better prices elsewhere, win-win for me

They are a complete mess. Took over a month to get parts listed as shipped in 1-3 days.

took a paypal case to get what I ordered. THEN they wanted me to send back a box of targets they claim they sent by mistake.

awful to deal with.
Go with primary arms or granite ridge outfitters. Midway USA has been ok too.

So just an update for anyone curious. Finally managed to get through at exactly 11am (when they open). Their excuse is that USPS lost the package, even though the tracking number shows as just "Pending" with USPS (aka it was never picked up from OP - USPS is bad but not lose the package between the warehouse and the truck bad). They said they'd be happy to place a new order for me, but their system is now showing out of stock on one of the items, and it would be a 3 month wait. He offered me an upgrade to UPS Ground shipping as compensation for my troubles.

Never trust anything they say or put on their web pages. They are a "time of purchase" ordering company. They don't keep much of the stock they are selling. You order something, they order it and in many cases have the vendor drop ship directly to you. They just don't tell you that or if a vendor has a problem with the order. You can wait forever before they will reach out to tell you your order is delayed. They got me once with that BS. Never again.

Like lots of places their CS was the first to go when this thing hit. You can't get a response by email from them for days, and when it does come through it's garbage. That said I ordered an upper from them a couple of months ago. It was out of stock everywhere (supposedly made to order or something), and the company itself was quoting 6+ weeks for delivery. OP had it for 15% under retail plus like $125 in store credit - way under anyone else's price - and they were quoting 4-6 weeks. I took a shot, not really expecting it to come through, but it did, right around the 6 week mark. Communications were garbage (the site quote delivery in 60 years at one point), tracking info was completely useless, but I did eventually get the upper for a great price and right on time.

Last edited:
Do they mark it as shipped so you can't cancel your order? I don't want to dispute charge....
This was honestly my first thought. You're unable to cancel the order once it's marked as "Shipped" and unable to dispute it either as they'll say "give us XX days to see if your package arrives." Plus it pushes the apparent blame for the delay on to the carrier, instead of OP. Honestly, just really poor customer service approach. I felt bad letting the guy on the phone have it, but it's just such a shit business model.

Ive ordered from optics planet twice.

The first time i ordered a primary arms scope. It was a bit cheaper than i could find elsewhere and they offered free shipping and 40$ in giftcard items and i found a 10 percent off coupon. It was a great deal. I ordered the scope and it was supposed to ship in 1-2 days like youd expect. I waited....and waited...and waited...probably 2-3 weeks from memory, maybe more. Finally it was supposed to ship and they tried to charge my card. The bank stopped the transaction because it had been so long. Had to call them to straighten it all out. Got it like a week later. Wound up using the gift card for scope rings which came on time. It was a pain.

Not saying i wouldnt order from them again but it was enough of a pain to make me look elsewhere first, maybe pay a small premium.

I haven’t had any problems with few orders I’ve placed through Optics Planet. Until now. I’m trying to buy a Geissele trigger for a SBR build and they claimed it would ship in 5-7 days when I placed the order. Now, the order status shows an “estimated” shipping date at the end of October.

I’d like to finish this build before I die from Covid-19 or get eaten by a bear. I am cancelling the OP order and ordering direct from Geissele. The only reason I didn’t do so originally was because Geissele indicated they didn’t have it in stock (red flag #1) and didn’t have an anticipated in-stock date (red flag #2).

This whole thread is like first world problem right? We are pissed off because we can't get our gun parts in less than a week and from time to time an order gets fubared. Life is pretty good.

Empathize with OP (and OP too) because our markets are usually stable and reliable. The scale and mass of people in the country and the world show just how out of control it can get. So build your personal inventory and be ready for boogaloo at any time.

I ordered once from them. A few muzzle brakes. They were backordered..... but they showed up before they said... so bonus there.
One had a crush washer with some rust on it. I called them, they answered.
They sent me a package of 5? crush washers of a different brand (aero) to make up for it. So that was nice.
I think there are positives and negatives everywhere. It seems the negatives are always the ones you hear about and they are amplified.
How may people go out of their way to post a positive review when a purchase is ordinary? How many when it's bad? Probably 10x the amount.
I've gone thru the McD's drive thru 100's of times in my life. I've never made a comment when my order is filled quickly and correctly, which is probably 97-98% of the time. But when they forget the sweet and sour sauce with my kid's nuggets I'm bitching about it for the next 3 hours.

This post reminded me of an order I'd placed which had only partially shipped. Order placed 4/6. Today's status; "Expected to be shipped on 08/30/2020." The CRKT M16 wasn't in stock when I placed the order but the delay was only going to be a week or so. I knew better. It might make a nice xmas gift!

I have an Optics Planet package show up about every week, I get their VIP pricing (which I don't think is hard to hit or anything) and that *might* make my experience a little different but here are my observations:

#1 - they ship free > $50, anything > $150 always has a $15/off coupon you can use, there is also always a 5% coupon around, if anything is backordered they will eventually (after a month maybe) ship the parts out that are not backordered but generally if you want things fast, make multiple $50 orders OR make sure what you are ordering is in stock (they do not make it obvious sometimes what is in stock and not)

#2 - their shipping is fairly slow, currently I think 2 weeks from the day I order it until it shows up for in stock items, at rock bottom prices.. Soooo if you own 9-zillion guns and are just chipping away at various projects this is usually a great option for the mature gun owner, if you bought your first AR and want the scope for this weekend then OP is probably just going to cause stress and anxiety

#3 my experiences lately, not in order necessarily:

ordered an SB brace & an M5 LPK, showed in stock, was in stock, was cheap, showed within a couple weeks
ordered a spikes 9mm BCG, a gas tube, and an AR end plate, was cheap, showed within a couple weeks
ordered a BA 9mm barrel, some other small odds and ends, was cheap, showed within a couple weeks
ordered a criterion 6.5 creed barrel, wrong barrel shipped (wanted coated, got a non coated), was cheap, came within a couple weeks, returned without needing to talk to anyone, the correct barrel was backordered, got it in about 6 weeks, correct barrel, life is good
ordered a pile of various small parts, LPK's, buffer tube kits, gas tubes, adjustable gas blocks, in various states of in stock & backordered, was cheap, some shipped within a few weeks, some took a couple months to arrive, got it all
waiting on an Aero M5 E upper in Cera, was cheap but backordered at the time, due to Aero having problems I have been waiting for it for at least 3 months, supposed to ship next week (super crazy slow but this is Aero's issue not OP)

Overall I really like OP - great prices, free shipping, never been burnt by them, easy return policy that is triggered with a few clicks online - BUT again, if you want fast they are not fast.

Last edited:
So just an update for anyone curious. Finally managed to get through at exactly 11am (when they open). Their excuse is that USPS lost the package, even though the tracking number shows as just "Pending" with USPS (aka it was never picked up from OP - USPS is bad but not lose the package between the warehouse and the truck bad). They said they'd be happy to place a new order for me, but their system is now showing out of stock on one of the items, and it would be a 3 month wait. He offered me an upgrade to UPS Ground shipping as compensation for my troubles.

We're sorry sir. We're all out of toast. But we can put an order in and you can have some toast in 3 months. We will even give you complimentary toasting of the said toast at that time as compensation.

We're sorry sir. We're all out of toast. But we can put an order in and you can have some toast in 3 months. We will even give you complimentary toasting of the said toast at that time as compensation.
Just to say it, I don't need these parts any time in the near future. What bugs me is just how dishonest they are. Lied about it being in stock, lied about the lead time, lied about shipping it, and lied about the packaging being picked up. Then they shut off their phones and wouldn't reply to emails so you couldn't even cancel the order or ask what was going on. This has nothing to do with the pandemic or "how things use do to be" or any other bull, it's just piss poor customer service, and yes, I was fully aware the OP had a reputation for not leading the pack in terms of customer satisfaction, but I certainly didn't expect this level of sh*t show.

I've been ordering stuff from them regularly since 2008. I've never had a problem with them. My only complaint as of recent is you have to be careful to check if the product is actually in stock. On other sites, if a product is out of stock, it will make it very obvious and you click the backorder option if one is available or it simply cannot be purchased at all. Sometimes I've caught myself about to order something but when I checked the product availability option, it's like a month or more away. As long as it says it has X in stock or ships within a couple days, you should be fine for a fairly quick ship.

I get it. But going from USPS to UPS Ground is like going from Snails Pace to Let Joey Kick It Down The Street Til It Gets To Your House. OVERNIGHT or 2-day would have been a bit nicer.

I ordered a Streamlight TLR6 from them and it showed up on time I don't know if they're getting better or if I just got lucky.

I avoid them like the plague, there prices look OK but once they hit you with tax and shipping charges its not worth it. It always takes them a month plus to ship stuff. The other thing is if you check the site from multiple web browsers or devices I've seen the prices change. they suck

I haven’t had any problems with few orders I’ve placed through Optics Planet. Until now. I’m trying to buy a Geissele trigger for a SBR build and they claimed it would ship in 5-7 days when I placed the order. Now, the order status shows an “estimated” shipping date at the end of October.

I’d like to finish this build before I die from Covid-19 or get eaten by a bear. I am cancelling the OP order and ordering direct from Geissele. The only reason I didn’t do so originally was because Geissele indicated they didn’t have it in stock (red flag #1) and didn’t have an anticipated in-stock date (red flag #2).
The very last place to order Geissele products is the Geissele website. If you think that OP is slow on the uptake, you're in for a treat ordering from Geissele direct.

The very last place to order Geissele products is the Geissele website. If you think that OP is slow on the uptake, you're in for a treat ordering from Geissele direct.

I’ve ordered directly from Geissele in the past. As long as it’s in stock, it ships pretty quickly. My new trigger that I ordered after voiding the OP order is already en route and should be here early next week (free UPS ground).

Geissele has the SSA-E in stock.

I avoid them like the plague, there prices look OK but once they hit you with tax and shipping charges its not worth it. It always takes them a month plus to ship stuff. The other thing is if you check the site from multiple web browsers or devices I've seen the prices change. they suck

Huh? Shipping is free on orders > $50 and where I'm at, no tax.

Their shipping does tend to be slow but that is exaggerated, unless you are ordering items not in stock.

It's one thing to have a bad opinion of a vendor but you should at least get the facts straight.

I’ve ordered directly from Geissele in the past. As long as it’s in stock, it ships pretty quickly. My new trigger that I ordered after voiding the OP order is already en route and should be here early next week (free UPS ground).

Geissele has the SSA-E in stock.
A friend of mine ordered an in stock item during their Black Friday sale. Shipping was supposed to be ~4-6 weeks.
He got his trigger the week after Paddy's day. Just check some other forums, like arf.com or m4 carbine.net. Geissele bitching has its very own thread there.

I got an email last week from MidwayUSA apologizing for poor customer service. Among the many things said, one was that they are turning off all CS phone inquiries and relying exclusively email as they attempt to dig out. What a cluster.

I got an email last week from MidwayUSA apologizing for poor customer service. Among the many things said, one was that they are turning off all CS phone inquiries and relying exclusively email as they attempt to dig out. What a cluster.

Seems to be like that with a lot of things, been looking around for a new trolling motor lately and what used to be $90 is now $200 with extremely limited availability, very little in stock locally even at say Bass Pro, Walmart, etc except the really big $$ stuff. Eventually found a square deal now waiting on shipping.

Even had "limit 1" on trolling motors online, shit is just wierd.

Last edited:
Midway USA sent the same to me but I still got my items in about a week.

magpul direct however- 9 days to get it out and they Must have asked specifically for the slowest ups shipping route. Took just shy of a month.

primary arms- ordered two items this Monday and fedex just dropped it off. Yes I payed for “stop playing Grabass shipping”. 15 bucks well spent.

Back
Top Bottom