• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can we talk about how bad OpticsPlanet is

Maybe someone's found some way to use them to mine Bitcoin,
like they did with video cards.

I think it is basically people realizing supplies are limited, boat and eratta buying is at an all time high, so they buy up everything at 70% of retail (normal prices on a lot of this stuff) then go to eBay and charge 110% of retail.

I think it is basically people realizing supplies are limited, boat and eratta buying is at an all time high, so they buy up everything at 70% of retail (normal prices on a lot of this stuff) then go to eBay and charge 110% of retail.
Which at this point is more efficient that mining bitcoin.

I’ve ordered directly from Geissele in the past. As long as it’s in stock, it ships pretty quickly. My new trigger that I ordered after voiding the OP order is already en route and should be here early next week (free UPS ground).

Geissele has the SSA-E in stock.

So, just to follow up on this - the trigger arrived today instead of Monday, and like other orders I’ve placed with Geissele directly, I got some random swag. Along with the generic stickers, I got a 3’x5’ Geissele flag! Will look great next to my car flags in the basement. They also sent a sample of “their” coffee, but I don’t drink anything with caffeine, so that’s lost on me.

Point being, if Geissele has their product in stock, they don’t charge sales tax and their free UPS Ground shipping gets to New England pretty quickly.

Find it strange that the Mossberg website is "Sold Out" of the barrel I was looking for, but Optics Planet has them "In Stock". Tempted to give them a try but based on the above comments not going to risk it.

Looking at recent Ebay listings on survival gear kind of looks like that is the case.

Find it strange that the Mossberg website is "Sold Out" of the barrel I was looking for, but Optics Planet has them "In Stock". Tempted to give them a try but based on the above comments not going to risk it.

That is pretty common with a lot of retailers, also is common for the manufacturers to be charging more.

Manufacturers basically might ship 50 of something to a retailer, or more to a whole bunch of different retailers, and eventually sell out themselves, while the retailers sits on some supply for awhile.

If they clearly say in stock then 95% of the time that is the case. If you order it and they tell you its backordered, you can cancel with a few clicks - they do not even actually charge you until something ships, so if you cancel before that time it will eventually just disappear from pending transactions in your account.

Apparently I lack any sort of good judgement, after seeing this thread and still ordering from Opticsplanet. They happened to have a few items I wanted in stock, and other options only had like 1 or 2 of the three. So I figured a one-stop shop was worth throwing caution to the wind. Wrong.

How does it take 3 days to even produce a tracking number, and said tracking number only mentions it was created, not that the actual package is in transit? That means the day of the order, the next day, and then the following day after, they did nothing. And even after 3 days, my labeled box might still be sitting in their warehouse. This is bullsh*t! Never again. I'm an idiot though, watching everyone bitch and think I'm somehow going to fare better.

Apparently I lack any sort of good judgement, after seeing this thread and still ordering from Opticsplanet. They happened to have a few items I wanted in stock, and other options only had like 1 or 2 of the three. So I figured a one-stop shop was worth throwing caution to the wind. Wrong.

How does it take 3 days to even produce a tracking number, and said tracking number only mentions it was created, not that the actual package is in transit? That means the day of the order, the next day, and then the following day after, they did nothing. And even after 3 days, my labeled box might still be sitting in their warehouse. This is bullsh*t! Never again. I'm an idiot though, watching everyone bitch and think I'm somehow going to fare better.
The real fun doesn’t start until you try to contact them.

The real fun doesn’t start until you try to contact them.

Just don't. Not worth the annoyance.

If you get antsy if you don't get a tracking number in 3 days, and if you expect the tracking info to be remotely useful, Optics Planet might not be for you. [smile]

You guys are funny - you actually expect same day shipping on orders? I doubt anyone in this industry pulls that off lately, except maybe a real small shop or Amazon sellers.

Again, OP is great price wise but you need to be able to wait and not freak the hell out. A reasonable expectation might be they ship it within a week so you have it in a couple weeks.

You guys are funny - you actually expect same day shipping on orders? I doubt anyone in this industry pulls that off lately, except maybe a real small shop or Amazon sellers.

Again, OP is great price wise but you need to be able to wait and not freak the hell out. A reasonable expectation might be they ship it within a week so you have it in a couple weeks.

I respectfully disagree. If your business is only online sales, then not even getting a tracking number to you in the same day is unacceptable in 2020 unless you're ordering after hours, and not getting the package in transit by 2 days is equally unacceptable. So for it to take 3 days just to get the tracking number when all your company does is sell online, obviously requiring shipping, your order fulfillment process is broken and terrible. The pass I was giving places for pandemic delays expired at the end of June, so I have no qualms with bitching about Opticsplanet now.

If we gave all business this type of pass, what would expectations be? Go to a restaurant and wait 30 minutes after being seated just to get a menu?

I respectfully disagree. If your business is only online sales, then not even getting a tracking number to you in the same day is unacceptable in 2020 unless you're ordering after hours, and not getting the package in transit by 2 days is equally unacceptable. So for it to take 3 days just to get the tracking number when all your company does is sell online, obviously requiring shipping, your order fulfillment process is broken and terrible. The pass I was giving places for pandemic delays expired at the end of June, so I have no qualms with bitching about Opticsplanet now.

If we gave all business this type of pass, what would expectations be? Go to a restaurant and wait 30 minutes after being seated just to get a menu?

Well first and foremost I would say, I really like OP because of the prices. Said it before, they are good for cheap, not fast, and I value cheap way over fast (don't know about most but I am lucky if I get around to installing something I bought today 2 months from now).. who else ships free on orders of $50? Nobody I am aware of does.

Whatever the case, I bought stuff from OP, Cheaper than dirt (hate these guys but only place that had some mags I wanted), and Primary Arms today. I will report back on actual receipt but the best deal I got on any of it was OP - if that means +5 days I could care less.

I don't think you do much ordering with these expectations, gun stuff still has a crazy run going on it lately, covid restrictions limit how companies can staff, that all bogs places down. If nothing else better for your blood pressure not to monitor tracking multiple times on a daily basis.

Well first and foremost I would say, I really like OP because of the prices. Said it before, they are good for cheap, not fast, and I value cheap way over fast (don't know about most but I am lucky if I get around to installing something I bought today 2 months from now).. who else ships free on orders of $50? Nobody I am aware of does.

Whatever the case, I bought stuff from OP, Cheaper than dirt (hate these guys but only place that had some mags I wanted), and Primary Arms today. I will report back on actual receipt but the best deal I got on any of it was OP - if that means +5 days I could care less.

I don't think you do much ordering with these expectations, gun stuff still has a crazy run going on it lately, covid restrictions limit how companies can staff, that all bogs places down. If nothing else better for your blood pressure not to monitor tracking multiple times on a daily basis.

I do a lot of online ordering. Gun stuff and otherwise. I can't cut OP any slack there because everyone else is delivering as normal, including a couple online stores that are actually brick and mortar stores. That's crazy, as they're working their physical stores AND also fulfilling online orders. If they can get me a tracking number same day and get the box on a truck within 2 days, then an online store that only does online ordering has no excuse in taking 3 days to only acknowledge the intent to ship (not even actually ship). These aren't even registered parts. All "in stock", very basic small parts.

I feel like this is not unreasonable, as I'm not expecting an overnight delivery or anything. If you take the money, then at least provide tracking right away. They only do one thing: online orders. For them to then not fulfill in a timely manner is baffling. It is counter to the business model. Maybe not a fare comparison, but Target Sports manages to get me packages next day, and they are free shipping as well. Granted, Target Sports is only the next state over, but that still means they fulfill orders immediately (like probably in hours).

I do a lot of online ordering. Gun stuff and otherwise. I can't cut OP any slack there because everyone else is delivering as normal, including a couple online stores that are actually brick and mortar stores. That's crazy, as they're working their physical stores AND also fulfilling online orders. If they can get me a tracking number same day and get the box on a truck within 2 days, then an online store that only does online ordering has no excuse in taking 3 days to only acknowledge the intent to ship (not even actually ship). These aren't even registered parts. All "in stock", very basic small parts.

I feel like this is not unreasonable, as I'm not expecting an overnight delivery or anything. If you take the money, then at least provide tracking right away. They only do one thing: online orders. For them to then not fulfill in a timely manner is baffling. It is counter to the business model. Maybe not a fare comparison, but Target Sports manages to get me packages next day, and they are free shipping as well. Granted, Target Sports is only the next state over, but that still means they fulfill orders immediately (like probably in hours).

Well TS isn't free shipping, its free with a membership or on bulk orders, they are great but processing time varies. Both CTD and PA beat me up for shipping today (kinda ridiculous to me is PA still has no free option on a $200 order even) while OP was free ship.

Whatever the case speed is apparently a big deal for you, so OP isn't your kinda place - but you will likely pay more elsewhere.

I could care less and a few days from payment to shipping, up to a week even, I don't take issue with it (and I guess many of us too since OP stays in business). And it just doesn't seem unreasonable at rock bottom prices.

Honestly, this “well that’s how OP is so you can’t hold it against them” line is absolute bullsh*t. There are companies, far bigger and smaller, who are not only shipping in a reasonable amount of time, but being honest with their customers, and actually picking up their phones when you call. There is absolutely no excuse for bad CS.

I just waited 5 weeks for a GX Holster and didn’t mind in the least because even though he’s just a super small operation getting flooded with orders, he 1) was up front about timing (not “we say 1 day but you should know we’re liars”), 2) answered every email / call, and 3) did so in a helpful and kind manner.

Well TS isn't free shipping, its free with a membership or on bulk orders, they are great but processing time varies. Both CTD and PA beat me up for shipping today (kinda ridiculous to me is PA still has no free option on a $200 order even) while OP was free ship.

Whatever the case speed is apparently a big deal for you, so OP isn't your kinda place - but you will likely pay more elsewhere.

I could care less and a few days from payment to shipping, up to a week even, I don't take issue with it (and I guess many of us too since OP stays in business). And it just doesn't seem unreasonable at rock bottom prices.

True. I did note it wasn't exactly a fare comparison. I guess I only order cases!

It's not even the total length of time, as I saw they use USPS at the lowest tier service. Given all the issues with USPS right now, I'm not expecting it to be super speedy. However, if the company is then going to needlessly pad that time by days in either not adequately staffing fulfillment or just being extremely lazy about it, then that's a big minus to me. If it is the former, not adequately staffing fulfillment, then something is wrong given they have more orders than they can handle. The money shouldn't be an issue if that's the case.

Honestly, this “well that’s how OP is so you can’t hold it against them” line is absolute bullsh*t. There are companies, far bigger and smaller, who are not only shipping in a reasonable amount of time, but being honest with their customers, and actually picking up their phones when you call. There is absolutely no excuse for bad CS.

I just waited 5 weeks for a GX Holster and didn’t mind in the least because even though he’s just a super small operation getting flooded with orders, he 1) was up front about timing (not “we say 1 day but you should know we’re liars”), 2) answered every email / call, and 3) did so in a helpful and kind manner.

Spent a lot there and never actually had to call, been lucky maybe. Returned a $300 barrel via automated system. An email notified me immediately when recieved but took about 2 weeks before they did anything and got another on order. Some folks here would have probably called 10x, freaked out etc etc but eventually doing nothing I got notified of my new order, which eventually showed up, and they sent me a 10% off coupon for my troubles..

But again I think the model is all about reducing costs so generally what you get is cheap service. Literally at OP you can buy something like a buffer tube kit that is normally $65 they might list it for $55, then you throw a coupon on there for 5% and get another few bucks off, shipping is free, eventually your stuff shows up. That model works well for me.

I think Optics Planet is based in the burbs of Chicago. I wonder how much that impacts their workforce with the pandemic shit going on.

I think Optics Planet is based in the burbs of Chicago. I wonder how much that impacts their workforce with the pandemic shit going on.

My girlfriend lives in Glenn Ellyn, I am out here a bit, same area, is kinda like MA with covid, things are wierd but no worse. They did have some suburban looting though, can't understand it one bit given outside of the city limits this state is reasonably well armed (well I guess they are in the city too just not the honest folks).

I placed an order for some new 223 dies last night with OpticsPlanet, already got email (with tracking number) that they shipped today. I guess I am lucky, I have always had them ship things quickly, except for some magazines back in April (and I expected a delay then). I never had to contact customer service for anything though.

Primary Arms. They certainly do.

but the problem with OP is that they lie. they post 1-3 days to ship and down the rabbit hole you go. THE worst online vendor for gun related items. And 2 weeks is a joke. even how things are today, there are SEVERAL that have your order processed, shipped and at your house WAY before 2 weeks.

I have ordered from them a few times.
I now try to avoid them at all costs.

I have had less issues with their sister company, DVOR, though their ‘deals’ are rarely all that much of a deal.

Arms Unlimited, DSG, Rainier Arms and Damage Industries are my go to now, just wish they had more in stock.

DVOR is a joke. I’ve found so many items listed in there for like 40% off (random example) and their discount price is still higher than the average price of the same item. Total scam for most of their sales.

Last edited:
Two other companies I’ve had bad luck with lately;

Larue Tactical:

ordered some basic parts that were listed as being in stock. Order placed on 18 July.

Didn’t hear anything back about processing or shipping so emailed them on the 30th July.

Response was that some items are back ordered a minimum of 4-8 weeks and that they will separate my order and send as they arrive, but that I will have to pay S/H separately for each item, and asked if that was “ok” with me. I said no it’s not ok with me, why should I pay more because you listed them as being in stock just to get my business? Added in that maybe some better communication from CS would help avoid these issues, and that was it. Last I’ve heard from them. Not even a reply and no shipping label created yet. If it wasn’t for the particular mount I need I would’ve cancelled it already.

Valhalla Tactical:

also ordered some basic items that were in stock. The site lists down below that any orders over 300.00 are credit card verified thru the buyers bank. Alrite not crazy about that but make the purchase anyway since it’s only $112.00 purchase and I need the items.

A week goes by and I send email asking about my order and a shipping update. The owner says that since my shipping and billing address is different he needs to do a credit card verification on me thru my bank, or he can just send to my billing address (a PO BOX). Fine, just send it to me PO BOX then.

Nope, his CC verification system is telling him my PO BOX doesn’t exist. What?? (I’ve had it for 25yrs)

Now he wants to do some check where he randomly charges my credit card “a small amount of money”, then I need to check my account and reply to him afterwards exactly how much he charged me (for a non-existent purchase) and that will let him know that it’s actually my CC, and he will refund that charge and go ahead with the initial charge for actual items. My head turned sideways like a confused dog reading his purchase requirements.

“Yaaa, sorry dog, that’s gonna be a no for me.“ Please refund my $$ ASAP and I’ll happily shop elsewhere. GFY weirdo.

Two other companies I’ve had bad luck with lately;

Larue Tactical:

ordered some basic parts that were listed as being in stock. Order placed on 18 July.

Didn’t hear anything back about processing or shipping so emailed them on the 30th July.

Response was that some items are back ordered a minimum of 4-8 weeks and that they will separate my order and send as they arrive, but that I will have to pay S/H separately for each item, and asked if that was “ok” with me. I said no it’s not ok with me, why should I pay more because you listed them as being in stock just to get my business? Added in that maybe some better communication from CS would help avoid these issues, and that was it. Last I’ve heard from them. Not even a reply and no shipping label created yet. If it wasn’t for the particular mount I need I would’ve cancelled it already.

Sounds like a commo fail on there part. "sorry sir these items were not in stock despite our site saying so. This is the reality, and when X happens we can ship them all at
once, if you still want it. " etc.

Valhalla Tactical:

also ordered some basic items that were in stock. The site lists down below that any orders over 300.00 are credit card verified thru the buyers bank. Alrite not crazy about that but make the purchase anyway since it’s only $112.00 purchase and I need the items.

A week goes by and I send email asking about my order and a shipping update. The owner says that since my shipping and billing address is different he needs to do a credit card verification on me thru my bank, or he can just send to my billing address (a PO BOX). Fine, just send it to me PO BOX then.

Nope, his CC verification system is telling him my PO BOX doesn’t exist. What?? (I’ve had it for 25yrs)

Now he wants to do some check where he randomly charges my credit card “a small amount of money”, then I need to check my account and reply to him afterwards exactly how much he charged me (for a non-existent purchase) and that will let him know that it’s actually my CC, and he will refund that charge and go ahead with the initial charge for actual items. My head turned sideways like a confused dog reading his purchase requirements.

“Yaaa, sorry dog, that’s gonna be a no for me.“ Please refund my $$ ASAP and I’ll happily shop elsewhere. GFY weirdo.

This is weird but not really that uncommon of a verification mechanism. Usually only done by things like paypal and shit like that, though.

A lot of times you can have alternate addresses on file with your CC co and then you can "spoof" and pass verification every time.

EG, you put the bill to ship to as the same thing, and because the CC co "knows" about that alternate address, it will pass verification regardless.

Sounds like a commo fail on there part. "sorry sir these items were not in stock despite our site saying so. This is the reality, and when X happens we can ship them all at
once, if you still want it. " etc.

This is weird but not really that uncommon of a verification mechanism. Usually only done by things like paypal and shit like that, though.

A lot of times you can have alternate addresses on file with your CC co and then you can "spoof" and pass verification every time.

EG, you put the bill to ship to as the same thing, and because the CC co "knows" about that alternate address, it will pass verification regardless.

-Mike

Thanks Michael, I’ll look into that. Never been asked to jump thru hoops like a circus monkey to give away money and can’t see myself doing it in the near future either.

Ya the girl at Larue wasn’t the best at handling customer inquiries or even communicating with any modicum of service.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, I’ll look into that. Never been asked to jump thru hoops like a circus monkey to give away money and can’t see myself doing it in the near future either.

I don't blame you at your recalcitrance, for the seller to ask for that, that way, is kind of bizarre. Usually there are other credit card verification systems. I probably would have
balked at it too, and said "If I can get my bank to register it as an authorized address so it passes verification, is that good enough?" if the vendor says no, then I'd just go
elsewhere.

Back in the early 2000s I used to order a bunch of computer parts and most part vendors had the same policy- bill to/ship to had to be the same, because of fraud, and they would verify. So I called up the CC company, and after the usual 5-10 minutes of verification BS (to find out who you say you really are, etc. ) I was able to get them to add an additional verification address into my "file" so that it would still verify even with the other address. I seem to remember a caveat at least with BOA though, I think after 1 or 2 years the extra address would "fall off" the account and you would have to re-add it or something. Or you would have to re-add it every time they issued you a new card.

When I added a club's checking account to a PayPal account,
PayPal didn't charge me to test the waters -
they gave me the money in two trivial transactions (2x.13¢ ea).

I don't blame you at your recalcitrance, for the seller to ask for that, that way, is kind of bizarre. Usually there are other credit card verification systems. I probably would have
balked at it too, and said "If I can get my bank to register it as an authorized address so it passes verification, is that good enough?" if the vendor says no, then I'd just go
elsewhere.

Back in the early 2000s I used to order a bunch of computer parts and most part vendors had the same policy- bill to/ship to had to be the same, because of fraud, and they would verify. So I called up the CC company, and after the usual 5-10 minutes of verification BS (to find out who you say you really are, etc. ) I was able to get them to add an additional verification address into my "file" so that it would still verify even with the other address. I seem to remember a caveat at least with BOA though, I think after 1 or 2 years the extra address would "fall off" the account and you would have to re-add it or something. Or you would have to re-add it every time they issued you a new card.

What I didn’t understand is that my PO BOX is my billing address, all of my mail goes there for years, including CC bills, so how does that not reflect as the verified billing address, or even show up on his ‘system’ as an actual hard address? Not that you have to answer or know the answer but that was my point of saying ya thanks bro I’ll take my refund and shop elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom