• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can’t buy used?

This. Every gun I've bought in the last 7+ years has been online [laugh]
Don't even have to waste my time/gas driving around out of state. Just the initial drive to the inbounding dealer.

But I realize there's folks who want to fondle/touch the guns prior to buying....lol
This.....the world of internet deals is your oyster. Add to that I'm in the wilds of North Central MA and have a very nice inbounding dealer right in my town. I have a 5 minute drive to pickup.
Why would I want to shop for handguns, or most guns in general any other way? Sometimes you can even get them tax free if you hit the right website.......Win.

I used to say that for wood/metal guns I like to go to a shop to make sure the wood fit is good, now...I don't anymore. My last 2 Browning O/U's Ive bought online because they were 300 cheaper than the closest stocking dealer, who was not even close to me.

Now...I pretty much buy everything online.......

Sometimes you can even get them tax free if you hit the right website.......Win.

This works especially well if you actually know how to use a telephone and run a deal old school vs pressing buttons, There are still some remotes that will basically be like "f*** wayfair" and not wail you on tax.

He said that… he said they do not ship used handguns to mass

They likely don't ship ANY handguns to MA new or used..........and even if they did ship new handguns..........almost every gun at KTP is high retail......which means your paying alot more to begin with, and then your also paying for shipping as well.....

Online dealers will save you on price, and a lot of them ship to your FFL for free or at very reduced price.

KTP is a tourist trap........you don't go there to buy guns. If you have to trade something.....they will give you decent store credit sometimes. Most times more than what the cheap tire kicking fxcks here will give you in the classy's.....so I don't waste my time with all that back and forth crap unless I want greenbacks.

So, that's the only reason I ever even buy anything there. If I want to dump a gun quick and get max trade. But if you turn around and have to buy something from them....well....your getting hosed on the high retail thing.

What I do on trades is trade for store credit...then if they have something at a discount I'll buy it. For instance I just bought a new leftover bow from them at a 25% discount to new with my store credit. Unfortunately lately, doubtful you'll get a discount on a gun ever now. Though, it used to happen on guns they would have in stock for a long time, they would drop them down after a while.

Last edited:
Knowing my LTC renewal is only a few weeks away, I went to Kittery trading post today. I asked about a used revolver, the guy told me that it is not legal to bring used handguns into the Mass regardless if it is compliant or not. He said used long guns are ok but not used handguns…

I asked about the frame transfer for another pistol, he said they told by Mass not to do that and that if the firearm was ever used for defense, the person/owner would be charged with a felony!

Is this accurate? This guy just making stuff up?
I believe the KTP states on their website they don't sell any handguns to MA residents even with an FFL.

This.....the world of internet deals is your oyster. Add to that I'm in the wilds of North Central MA and have a very nice inbounding dealer right in my town. I have a 5 minute drive to pickup.
Why would I want to shop for handguns, or most guns in general any other way? Sometimes you can even get them tax free if you hit the right website.......Win.

I used to say that for wood/metal guns I like to go to a shop to make sure the wood fit is good, now...I don't anymore. My last 2 Browning O/U's Ive bought online because they were 300 cheaper than the closest stocking dealer, who was not even close to me.

Now...I pretty much buy everything online.......

I don’t know. Half the fun is perusing the used guns that are for sale or consignment. My last several purchases have been impulse buys of something I didn’t even realize I wanted until I saw it in the case. Most places don’t keep their used inventory updated so it’s fun to visit a few gun shops over the weekend when the bug to buy something hits.

Sometimes you can even get them tax free if you hit the right website.......Win.
Yet another weird advantage of living in MA. An out of state business is only required to collect MA sales tax if their sales to MA residents exceeds $100,000 a year. Since the overall firearms market in MA isn’t that large, a lot of the smaller vendors don’t exceed that $100K limit, so they don’t legally have to charge MA sales tax.

Yet another weird advantage of living in MA. An out of state business is only required to collect MA sales tax if their sales to MA residents exceeds $100,000 a year. Since the overall firearms market in MA isn’t that large, a lot of the smaller vendors don’t exceed that $100K limit, so they don’t legally have to charge MA sales tax.

I’d bet many of the business charge the state tax rate and just keep it without sending anything to MA. New profit line.

I’d bet many of the business charge the state tax rate and just keep it without sending anything to MA. New profit line.
Possibly, but given the number of different sales tax regimes, I bet most businesses are using an automated system to generate their sales tax charges and that system probably tracks last years sales to determine if it should be charging sales tax. But it certainly would be possible for someone to charge the tax and just not remit it to the state if they’ve done less than the $100k of business.

I also think most businesses would use the lack of having to charge sales tax as a selling plus.

I don’t know. Half the fun is perusing the used guns that are for sale or consignment. My last several purchases have been impulse buys of something I didn’t even realize I wanted until I saw it in the case. Most places don’t keep their used inventory updated so it’s fun to visit a few gun shops over the weekend when the bug to buy something hits.
If I'm in the area of a gun shop....yeah....don't get me wrong, I'll probably stop and look....especially used or hard to find older guns....which are are in different category. They are usually one of kind type stuff that you probably don't have much choice with selection or pricing if you want it.

But if there's something specific new i'm buying and it can be had online. I'm not going out looking for it.

I had been thinking the same. There’s a couple online ammo vendors that charge sales tax and I have to wonder if they are doing $100,000 a year with Massachusetts customers

MA still blows, that is not an advantage of living here.

Kittery is very stubborn on selling guns
Rifles , shotguns non AWB semi auto stuff no problem.
I have not been there in years even then they would not ship anything to MA FFL.

Im sure theres other shops in state that will have something.

Im curious though. Would they even “sell” you a firearm knowing your not licensed yet?

Interesting point on this, as for able to sell to a nonresident the gun has to be legal in the owners state of residence. Where mass requires an ltc for purchase and mere possession, if the sale were made and was shipped to a mass ffl, would it be legal under federal law? As the purchaser was not compliant with holding an ltc at time of purchase?

Interesting point on this, as for able to sell to a nonresident the gun has to be legal in the owners state of residence. Where mass requires an ltc for purchase and mere possession, if the sale were made and was shipped to a mass ffl, would it be legal under federal law? As the purchaser was not compliant with holding an ltc at time of purchase?
FFL to FFL none of that matters. It's functionally no different than going on GunBroker and buying from a remote. GB or the remote doesn't give a flying f*** about your LTC or not.

Food for thought..... a long ass time ago, I literally purchased like 3 guns from a dealer before getting my LTC. I could not take possession until i had my license but nothing stopped me from putting money on those guns, legally.

The last I knew, Kittery will not sell any handguns into MA. As to the rest, utter gun shop counter guy BS. Not the first time I've heard it at a shop or gun show from a MA FFL.

yes. The store refused to sell a used handgun via FFL as “we can not guarantee it was not altered which may make it non-mass compliant. We will be happy to ship you a new handgun or you can buy (and take possession of) new or used long gun.

KTP would transfer the "whole" firearm to the MA FFL. What that FFL does with it can't come back on KTP.

They're full of it.
This x1000.

As far as the originating FFL goes, they are just sending it to another FFL. It is the receiving FFL (who then transfers to the end user) who would be on the hook. All KTP needs to do is let the buyer know all sales are final, collect payment, send it to the receiving FFL and if for some reason the transfer can't (or won't) be completed, well tough titties, that's the buyer's problem.

I bought a new hand gun from KTP about 16 months ago. Height of unavailability. Was best price, no Ma sales tax. $30 to ship, plus gave me a $50 gift card.

I bought a new hand gun from KTP about 16 months ago. Height of unavailability. Was best price, no Ma sales tax. $30 to ship, plus gave me a $50 gift card.
They charge you Maine sales tax though. And 30 to ship would be high compared to online, which is usually like 10 bucks or less.

The gift card thing isn't bad........though, i wish you could use it on that purchase.

I hadn't heard of this popping up with KTP, but I'm not real surprised.

After all, Cabela's Gun Library in Berlin/Hudson will buy used handguns,
but refuses to sell them here.

Also, maybe @drgrant Can answer this, but, can a used gun be transferred as a frame, since it is a complete gun? (Maybe it is a stupid question, but MA has pretty stupid and backwards laws. Worth asking).
Yes, new or used doesn't matter, but you have to have dealers playing ball, if you don't, none of this matters.
I'm not surprised that some big sending FFL wants nothing to do with frame transfers
if Step One is that they have to break down the gun before shipping one chunk
to the Mass FFL, and then hold the other parts for week(s).

I'd be surprised if any big FFL will play the game.
After all, plenty of small ones will nope away from the scam.

Now here's something FR:
  • KTP will not alter firearms, to make them compliant in a purchaser’s state of residence. Simply removing a hi-capacity magazine, will not make the firearm transferable to a state that requires low-capacity magazines.
The stupid, it burns.

(Underscoring mine).

They charge you Maine sales tax though. And 30 to ship would be high compared to online, which is usually like 10 bucks or less.

The gift card thing isn't bad........though, i wish you could use it on that purchase.
No, KTP did not charge me Maine sales tax. No fee for using cc. Same gun at local MA store would cost more, plus MA sales tax. Was a Sig P365 Mass complaint, net cost $480, plus $10.60 from a 2% cc kick back. So out of pocket $469.40

Last edited:
No, KTP did not charge me Maine sales tax. No fee for using cc. Same gun at local MA store would cost more, plus MA sales tax. Was a Sig P365 Mass complaint, net cost $480, plus $10.60 from a 2% cc kick back. So out of pocket $469.40
That's kinda weird unless your a NH resident, or go over the bridge. They charge you some form of sales tax usually Maine 5% because its less than MA. They always give you a gift card which usually offsets it anyway.

One of my Brownings I bought from them I went over the bridge into NH, but I usually don't bother with anything under a grand

They never charge a cc fee ever.....its a borderline big box store.

Kittery Trading Post had two 10-round 5.56/.223Rem PMags left on the pegs today.
541lwm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom