Can’t buy used?

Sorry, I didn’t completely explain about the frame transfer. Someone told me that I can buy a new glock out of state and do a frame transfer to a Mass FFL and then register it myself, the jackass told me “mass told us not to do frame transfers, they don’t have the man power to enforce it but if caught with it or used in a defensive situation, you can be charged with a felony”
What the guy told you is 100% bullsh*t.

Big box stores.

Big Box Stores typically have lawyers on staff. The lawyers take the most conservative position possible and mandate it to their stores. I expect that is where the problem started with KTP. I also wouldn't be surprised if they queried the AG's office and were told not to do a whole lot of things that are perfectly legal.

Big Box Stores typically have lawyers on staff. The lawyers take the most conservative position possible and mandate it to their stores. I expect that is where the problem started with KTP. I also wouldn't be surprised if they queried the AG's office and were told not to do a whole lot of things that are perfectly legal.

These two MA idiots were trying to buy free state mags from Competition Shooting Supply in Pawtucket. The shopkeeper asked them where they're from and they were like uhhhh. Asked to see their ID and they showed MA DLs lol. Got kicked out. If you're gonna do stupid stuff, just buy 'mag repair/rebuild kits' online like the other idiots. FFLs trying to cover their own ass makes sense, small shop or big.

Back in the 80s Kittery was a good place to deal with. Bought lots of stuff back then including a few pistols with no issues. They used to ship the pistols to Collectors in Stoneham. That was back when Jim owned the place and he always accepted them for me. Now I go in and look around if I'm up there but I never buy anything.

These two MA idiots were trying to buy free state mags from Competition Shooting Supply in Pawtucket. The shopkeeper asked them where they're from and they were like uhhhh. Asked to see their ID and they showed MA DLs lol. Got kicked out. If you're gonna do stupid stuff, just buy 'mag repair/rebuild kits' online like the other idiots. FFLs trying to cover their own ass makes sense, small shop or big.

Not sure if serious, most dealers don't give a shit, it's a metal or plastic tube. More box store BS

Thanks for all the info.

As far as the frame transfer, I was told an out of state dealer will sell a new glock in parts with 10 round mags and send it to a FFL in Mass. Buyer would then pick up parts from Mass FFL and the FFL would then register it with MIRCS, form 4473 and customer goes home and registers it as a built gun.

True? Legal?

New or used is not relevant.

Long guns can be purchased as along as they are AWB compliant.

Handguns must go FFL to FFL for an out of state purchase. And magazines must comply with MA laws.

There's more but that's essentially it.
I was aware, I assumed everyone knew what I meant.

Out the shop so we know not to bother.

Thanks for all the info.

As far as the frame transfer, I was told an out of state dealer will sell a new glock in parts with 10 round mags and send it to a FFL in Mass. Buyer would then pick up parts from Mass FFL and the FFL would then register it with MIRCS, form 4473 and customer goes home and registers it as a built gun.

True? Legal?
That's how an FFL (MA) will get in trouble with the AG.

The legal and safe way for the FFL is to ONLY take in the frame, sell/transfer the frame with NICS/4473 ONLY (not a gun per MGL). The out-of-state FFL (or private person) ships the slide and other parts direct to the new owner. New owner assembles and Registers on eFA-10 within 7 days with NO info on the source of the gun. All perfectly legal per current MGLs.

off topic but goes to idiots behind the counter at big gun store

Got any .380ACP?

store employee: it's just 380, the ACP means nothing...

(store employee shows the few boxes of .380 on the shelf, all top dollar Hornaday and similar stuff)

Hmmmm not a lot of selection

store drone: It is like 25 and 32, it can only be made 3 months a year by law because it is considered ammo for Saturday Night Specials.

Now I have heard a lot of bad advice given by gun shop employees over the past 45 years, but as for general stupidity this one took the cake...

Years ago I went into KTP and tried to purchase a cricket.22 single shot youth rifle so my son could learn. I filled out the 4473 and noted my UPIN in the appropriate block, I informed the employee that you must tell them its a UPIN applicant. The guy came back after the NICS and I git delayed which was the whole reason that I got a UPIN, asked if he used the UPIN, he confirmed he did. I went home and called FBI in WV.. the clown never used the UPIN when he did the NICS.. so I drove to ME and back for nothing. I called and expressed my anger, the manager told me to return on a day he will be there and will make it worth my time…. Never bothered with them until today.

As far as today is concerned, I decided to use the money that would have paid for the used revolver by registering to renew my instructor certification. Hoping MSP will allow me to keep my expired BFS number.

Kittery is very stubborn on selling guns
Rifles , shotguns non AWB semi auto stuff no problem.
I have not been there in years even then they would not ship anything to MA FFL.

Im sure theres other shops in state that will have something.

Im curious though. Would they even “sell” you a firearm knowing your not licensed yet?
Yes. I was given the option to leave a deposit or entire cost to hold it. When new ltc arrived, go back to make pay sny balance and 4473 with nics and arraign for shipment to mass ffl.

The legal and safe way for the FFL is to ONLY take in the frame, sell/transfer the frame with NICS/4473 ONLY (not a gun per MGL). The out-of-state FFL (or private person) ships the slide and other parts direct to the new owner. New owner assembles and Registers on eFA-10 within 7 days with NO info on the source of the gun. All perfectly legal per current MGLs.
Thats exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you!!!

140889E1-96B4-4275-BF40-7447DF419BC6.png

Back in the 80s Kittery was a good place to deal with. Bought lots of stuff back then including a few pistols with no issues. They used to ship the pistols to Collectors in Stoneham. That was back when Jim owned the place and he always accepted them for me. Now I go in and look around if I'm up there but I never buy anything.
Stopped in there several times a year camping with family. Dad loved that place that was 80s for me . Early 90s camping came to a end.
My dad called kittery the dumping ground.
Have a gun with issues, trade it in at kittery.
My dad would let us buy a beater 22lr from the bucket. $25 most of them.
First thing I bought when old enough in 1989 was a Russian sks
$89 plus a case of shit ammo for free
Went back in 1990/91 and picked up a mak90 and they where still giving that corrosive ammo away! 1770 round wiod crate IIRC.
Last thing I bought was a Browning Trap Gold in 2005 great deal and great gun

Hummmm. Must be a newish policy as I had them ship a handgun to my ffl about 6-7 years ago. To bad as pre covid they had a plethora of good handguns for sale.
I heard they got in some hot water when an M&P was sold to a MA "used" and the receiving FFL made a huge stink as it came with a 10rnd and a super-exploding_bullet mag and an Apex trigger.

(I won't out the FFL in MA here, as I don't believe they are even in business any more. Was a Cape Cod shop that's been mentioned a few. This is the same dude who thought he knew the laws backwards and forwards and tried to :"confiscate" my Ruger mk3 coming back from a repair because it wasn't on list and had an illegal trigger installed. I actually had to get the police involved to get it back. The douche shipped it to Ruger and then had the audacity to take me to collections for the shipping and a $100 handling fee. )

I wasn't the one who bought the M&P, but I got to hear about it. KTP was pretty pissed as the dude went straight to the AG when he saw the mag, and they got a nasty call.

As there's no way to know what a person has done to a gun once it leaves the barn for the first time and is in wild, better to just not play the game.

Sort of a Dicks Sporting level move, but company policy is as can be.

Go elsewhere. Simple enough.

Not a complaint issue.. he said they cant sell used guns to mass residents
Yes they can....they just don't want to deal with shipping, they don't want to deal with knowing what's compliant, they don't want to deal with MA.

Its just a store policy brought on by lawyers telling them not to get involved with MA handgun sales. Don't get all butthurt....go somewhere else....like online find your gun, then find a MA
dealer that will transfer it.

Its not like its a first........Shooters Outpost and Cabelas in NH and ME are the same way.....Im sure there are a lot of out of state dealers that don't want to bother. Very simply, don't waste your time going out of state to buy handguns. Just buy them online.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn’t completely explain about the frame transfer. Someone told me that I can buy a new glock out of state and do a frame transfer to a Mass FFL and then register it myself, the jackass told me “mass told us not to do frame transfers, they don’t have the man power to enforce it but if caught with it or used in a defensive situation, you can be charged with a felony”

KTP would transfer the "whole" firearm to the MA FFL. What that FFL does with it can't come back on KTP.

They're full of it.

Just buy them online.
This. Every gun I've bought in the last 7+ years has been online [laugh]
Don't even have to waste my time/gas driving around out of state. Just the initial drive to the inbounding dealer.

But I realize there's folks who want to fondle/touch the guns prior to buying....lol

Hes half an idiot. A handgun can't be purchased in another state and hand carried. Must be shipped to home state ffl.
I bought my Ruger MKIII Hunter from a guy who lived just over the border in NH. He drove to Bob's in Salisbury to meet me for the transfer. I can't remember if he had a non-resident LTC but he felt the risk was low enough that he wasn't going to get jammed up driving straight to a dealer in MA.

Can't say I'd recommend people (without a non-resident MA LTC) to do that since you will be F'd if caught. But I know plenty of people who do it all the time going to IDPA/USPSA matches here in MA. Just keep your shit locked up and out of sight. Also helps to not have gun stickers all over your car.

Back
Top Bottom