Can’t buy used?

Knowing my LTC renewal is only a few weeks away, I went to Kittery trading post today. I asked about a used revolver, the guy told me that it is not legal to bring used handguns into the Mass regardless if it is compliant or not. He said used long guns are ok but not used handguns…

I asked about the frame transfer for another pistol, he said they told by Mass not to do that and that if the firearm was ever used for defense, the person/owner would be charged with a felony!

Is this accurate? This guy just making stuff up?

It’s a half assed answer. If you buy it and a MA ffl will accept it they would need to ship it to that MA ffl. You can’t buy it and bring it yourself into the state.
Now Im pissed! It was a sw 22 revolver, would have been great for my kids to shoot.

I was aware if the FFL transfer and was willing to buy and then have shipped when my LTC came in as another employee suggested.

This ass clown told me if it was new,it would be ok to buy

I’m guessing you asked to buy a revolver there and just carry it back and they were talking about interstate sales of long guns vs pistols.

Handguns need to go through a FFL in your home state of residence. It is not required to come from a FFL in the sellers state. You need to confirm with your local FFL is they will accept from an individual or FFL only. The handgun must be on one of the approved rosters for a dealer to transfer it to you. Well, unless you have a good dealer.

Long guns can be bought and carried back as long as they are legal in your home state and AWB compliant since we’re talking about MA.

Most shops will sell mags to you but some won’t. Regardless they are a felony to possess if over 10 rounds and not preban and that is on you as an individual.

Last edited:
Glockman, in MA the Second Amendment only goes up to ten and is limited to the guns on Maura's list, you should know that. 'Frame transfers' get you the wag of the finger. Better to buy something off the Maura-Approved-List. Look into the M&P line Maura seems to love so much and make sure it has that 25 pound "MA safe" factory trigger.

Now Im pissed! It was a sw 22 revolver, would have been great for my kids to shoot.

I was aware if the FFL transfer and was willing to buy and then have shipped when my LTC came in as another employee suggested.

Buy one and have it sent to a MA FFL via gunbroker or something similar.

Glockman, in MA the Second Amendment only goes up to ten and is limited to the guns on Maura's list, you should know that. 'Frame transfers' get you the wag of the finger. Better to buy something off the Maura-Approved-List. Look into the M&P line Maura seems to love so much and make sure it has that 25 pound "MA safe" factory trigger.
Not a complaint issue.. he said they cant sell used guns to mass residents

Hummmm. Must be a newish policy as I had them ship a handgun to my ffl about 6-7 years ago. To bad as pre covid they had a plethora of good handguns for sale.
He said it been this way for over 10 years. But I don’t believe them..

First clown said its the law

2nd ass said its the store policy as they can t guarantee nothing has been done to alter the firearm such as a trigger job’and that other FFLs often send guns back and refuse to transfer. If I call back again, Ill get a totally different answer

They gave me the same answer years ago when I tried to buy a used Blackhawk 44 mag. They will transfer a handgun to a dealer in mass but it has to be new not used or made before a certain date. I'm not 100 percent sure if it's law or not.
1st ass said its the law as “Mass doesn’t want used guns coming in”

2nd guy said not a law, store policy.

Also
Said a trame transfer of a
Non compliant handgun may lead to a felony charge if used in defense

The guys is definitely not informed but he may have just given you a poor answer to end the interaction quickly.
There are some shops in our surrounding states that don't even want to bother to know our laws. They could care less about a sale to a MA resident because of the hassle that they may have to endure when the receiving FFL in MA has to send it back to them. I even had a pawn shop owner refuse to sell me a preban magazine. I looked around like I was a local shopping for a few minutes. I asked a couple of routine questions and spotted the mag under the glass. He could tell how I looked at the used magazine that I was from ASSachusetts and denied me the opportunity to purchase it. As much as I correctly informed him of the laws, he didn't even want to take the chance of possibly dealing with our illustrious AG in the future.

KTP is pretty well known for having a bad reputation in its gun department. I'd recommend staying away at all costs

These people sound semi-retarded. Probably too lazy to check if used guns are on the approved list, need "MA compliant" plastered on a new gun so they won't poop their pants letting us lepers touch it.

They have virtually no stock nowadays so they can be as PITA as they want to. It’s unfortunate as I enjoyed perusing through therefrom time to time.

Welcome to big box stores, where most employees don't know sh*t.

They once made my dad show LTC and fill paperwork to buy an 1850's musket. YES, they wanted to see LTC, which my dad didn't have so I showed mine. I then told them they forced us to do a straw purchase (to f*ck with them).

Knowing my LTC renewal is only a few weeks away, I went to Kittery trading post today. I asked about a used revolver, the guy told me that it is not legal to bring used handguns into the Mass regardless if it is compliant or not. He said used long guns are ok but not used handguns…

I asked about the frame transfer for another pistol, he said they told by Mass not to do that and that if the firearm was ever used for defense, the person/owner would be charged with a felony!

Is this accurate? This guy just making stuff up?
Kittery is very stubborn on selling guns
Rifles , shotguns non AWB semi auto stuff no problem.
I have not been there in years even then they would not ship anything to MA FFL.

Im sure theres other shops in state that will have something.

Im curious though. Would they even “sell” you a firearm knowing your not licensed yet?

1st ass said its the law as “Mass doesn’t want used guns coming in”

2nd guy said not a law, store policy.

Also
Said a trame transfer of a
Non compliant handgun may lead to a felony charge if used in defense
Frame transfer on a revolver is really hard to do, unless it is a revolver that comes designed to swap barrels.

To make a revolver a frame, you have to remove the barrel or the FFL has to lie about it. Knowing a lot of FFLs, even some that will transfer revolvers (don't ask me to give you names), none of them will lie about it.

Also, maybe @drgrant Can answer this, but, can a used gun be transferred as a frame, since it is a complete gun? (Maybe it is a stupid question, but MA has pretty stupid and backwards laws. Worth asking).

Also, maybe @drgrant Can answer this, but, can a used gun be transferred as a frame, since it is a complete gun? (Maybe it is a stupid question, but MA has pretty stupid and backwards laws. Worth asking).
For what it’s worth all of my DW revolvers were used and transferred as a frame. Well except for the last one since it was deemed a rifle LOL.

And my desert eagle was used and transferred as a frame.

I’m not sure why new vs used would matter with frame transfers?

Frame transfer on a revolver is really hard to do, unless it is a revolver that comes designed to swap barrels.

To make a revolver a frame, you have to remove the barrel or the FFL has to lie about it. Knowing a lot of FFLs, even some that will transfer revolvers (don't ask me to give you names), none of them will lie about it.

Sorry, I didn’t completely explain about the frame transfer. Someone told me that I can buy a new glock out of state and do a frame transfer to a Mass FFL and then register it myself, the jackass told me “mass told us not to do frame transfers, they don’t have the man power to enforce it but if caught with it or used in a defensive situation, you can be charged with a felony”

What @andrew1220 said....

Yes, new or used doesn't matter, but you have to have dealers playing ball, if you don't, none of this matters.

For what it’s worth all of my DW revolvers were used and transferred as a frame. Well except for the last one since it was deemed a rifle LOL.

As it turns out, its the store policy, not a law as the 1st ass had said it was.

That makes sense and it is what I thought. Maybe MA had some stupid law.

Back
Top Bottom