Buying Pardini Sp Target Pistol in MA ?

JackO

Instructor
I was looking to buy a Pardini Sp Target Pistol for target shooting. I checked with Carl at FS and was told that this gun is not legal in MA any more, even some FFL dealers in MA are still selling it (claiming the target exemption). What is your understanding on the subject and what are the the possible problems if any for me as a MA buyer for buying this gun from a legal FFL dealer in MA.

If you can find an FFL in MA that is selling it, and you want it.. BUY IT!

It's his ass not yours.

Adam, thanks for your reply.
I still don't understand, would I be in a violation of the law for buying this gun, or is it just the selling dealer problem?

Carl is correct. The other dealers are wrong. Period.

Moreover, they are wrong about something that their licenses depend upon them knowing.

If a gun is not on the AFR, it cannot be sold by a Mass FFL to a Mass citizen, UNLESS it is documented as having been in this state by or before 10/98.

The "target" exception these other dealers are babbling about is NOT a "get out of jail free card" and selling guns under that fabrication could very well get them put in jail (maybe they can bunk with a certain Norton ex-dealer...). All the "target exception" does is waive the AG's requirements for trigger pull, the mythical "5-year old" test. It is NOT a pass to the statutory testing.

Unless and until a handgun is placed on the AFR, it cannot be sold new to a Mass resident. Unless and until the manufacturer then certifies the gun as being designed solely for "formal target shooting competition," it does not get the target exemption.

I wouldn't listen to Waltham or wherever else you're hearing such nonsense......... [roll]

Keith is absolutely correct with respect to the first question that you raises. This question, however is a problem for the dealers to worry about, not you. The question as to any problems that you as a buyer might face gets raised constantly.

The EOPS list and AG regulations only apply to Mass licensed firearm dealers.
They do not impose any liability whatsoever on someone who purchases, possesses or carries a non-compliant gun.
The whole theory behind these laws and regulations is that the buyer is the victim.
Their only impact on you is to limit the guns that others will be willing to sell to you and the raise prices charged.

Ken

"Their only impact on you is to limit the guns that others will be willing to sell to you and the raise prices charged."

Essentially TRUE; however.......

You KNEW there'd be a "however," didn't you?

The dealer's own documentation; the 4473 and FA-10, would be sufficient evidence to convict him of violating the law. However, t is possible, even conceivable, that the illegally sold guns could be seized as evidence.

While the buyer is the ostensible victim of this illegal and unsafe practice, the AG would get a "two-fer:" nail the dealer ignoring the restrictions AND get the buyer who sought to buy, and willingly DID buy, the illegal gun.

So - Do you feel lucky today, punk? [wink]

Guys, thansks a lot for all your help.

Scrivener, if I understood you correctly, my gamble in this case would be that I might loose the gun if AG will choose to go after the dealer and this specific transaction. But in this case would it be the dealer's liability to refund me the money he got from me in this "illegal" transaction?

As to the part "get the buyer who sought to buy, and willingly DID buy, the illegal gun", it's not that straight forward clear to me. If the licesed dealer is telling he is selling me a legal gun, how do I know the gun is illegal? Moreover, is it my responsibility as a buyer to check everything I buy in the store in MA with the state and the AG?

Its clear that the sale of the gun would constitute an illegal transaction, but I don't see anything that makes the gun itself illegal. You're right that a prosecutor who felt the need to enhance his or her reputation as an arrogant SOB and all around PITA to "victims" and law-abiding citizens might decide to grab the gun as evidence.

Ken

I'd liken the thought that the AG will confiscate the gun to the chances that you'll get hit by lightening today!

Possible? Yes
Probable? Damn unlikely

And if it happened, you'd have just cause to go after the dealer for your losses.

Len,
in other words, do you say I don't risk much by buying this gun from a MA FFL dealer?

Another question, would I have a problem later if I deside to sell it?

You could sell it in a FTF transaction with another MA resident. You would likely have a hard time selling to a MA FFL, because the FFL could only sell it out of state.

Back
Top Bottom