Buying Legal Pot Will Get You On The Federal Database

Do you shop at Stop & Shop? Or almost any grocery store chain, indie store, convenience store, barber, gas station, cable provider or any other supplier of any type of product or service whatsoever?

Then your bits are being sold every time you do. Unless you work under the table and pay for everything in cash, there is a marketing profile with your globally unique identifier on it showing everything about you, including whether you use CBD and your recent purchase of shoe polish.

It's no stretch to think the government would purchase data like that. (or just observe it being transmitted and snag a copy)

It's less of a stretch to think they'd find SOME way to collect it on their own, even if they didn't buy it.

They won't buy it. They will just require that the info be provided to them. Has everyone forgotten that part of the ACA was that medical records had to be stored digitally and transmittable to the government? What the hell do you think they required that for?

I was watching the news this morning and they were interviewing people in line waiting for the first store to open. The guy they picked was from Connecticut. The talking head made it clear that it would be illegal for him to bring pot to Connecticut and he basically said, who's going to stop him?

Remember that CT decriminalized pot. $150 fine for less than a half ounce.

Just in case that you do not have enough reasons to run away from MA allow me to post another one:

The next step for Shaleen Title is legalization of all drugs!

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1058812811357372417

Shaleen Title: Let’s talk about legalizing and regulating all drugs, not just marijuana - The Boston Globe
shaleen.jpg
Why is legalizing and regulating all drugs the right approach?

The reason marijuana was legalized was because a legal market and legal regulation is better than prohibition for public health, for public safety, and for consumers. If you look at that rationale and the rationale of Representative [Joe] Kennedy [III] when he decided to support legalization this week, all those same arguments and principles apply to other drugs as well — even more so to drugs that are more dangerous and risky than cannabis.

That’s a pretty bold stance.

I understand that might come off as radical if it’s the first time you’re thinking about it. But marijuana legalization was radical to people as well in the beginning. If you look at harm reduction measures like Narcan [or naloxone, a medication that reverses opioid overdoses], people used to say that would enable drug users and cause usage to go up. But the data is clear: prevention and treatment work better than criminalization. Now police officers carry it, and I see ads for how naloxone can save lives. As time goes on and data comes in from marijuana legalization, it will be become clear that this isn’t a radical idea. It was prohibition that was radical all along.

How did you come to support the legalization and regulation of all drugs?

I started in the drug policy reform movement in 2002. But I’ve specifically advocated for the legalization and regulation of all drugs since 2009, when I started working with Law Enforcement Action Partnership (LEAP). That group is made up of police officers and judges and other law enforcement officials who had come to the same conclusion. And as a trustee for Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP), I worked with experts in a bunch of different areas, and with drug consumers themselves. I think that doing both helped me see all sides of the issue. That was the basis for my understanding that, regardless of how you feel about a drug, legal regulation is a better policy from a practical perspective than prohibition.
What would this actually look like? The government selling drugs in brown paper bags without any marketing?

We don’t have to do this overnight. It can be in a careful, phased way, as we have with cannabis. And as a larger point, the regulated market for one drug doesn’t look the same for every other drug, because different drugs have different inherent levels of risk. Something like coffee can be sold in a grocery store. Something like heroin would have to be very strictly regulated and controlled. And then there’s a whole spectrum in between.

The data also show people are more likely to use regulated markets than illicit ones if they’re more convenient and accessible. Creating one will reduce the risks. Consumers want to be aware of what they’re taking.

Couldn’t this policy make dangerous drugs more available to those who currently have no access to them?

Portugal decriminalized all drugs in 2001, and there were fears that by taking away criminal penalties, crime and drug-use rates would go up. That hasn’t happened. Several Massachusetts legislators recently visited Portugal to try to learn from that model because it was so successful.

What about the potential for diversion to youths?

As a mother, it’s my first priority to protect young people and marginalized populations. We want to minimize diversion as much as possible — and you can do that more easily when something’s regulated.

And to the extent that someone who shouldn’t get a hold of a product does, it’s better if it’s quality-controlled and the dosage is controlled. A tested product with a standard dose is always better than an untested product with an unknown dose that could contain other substances. On the illicit market, there are incentives for the product to be higher dosage and cut with other substances. That presents far more danger.

Is your support for the legalization and regulation of all drugs rooted purely in the practicalities — a belief that it’s a cheaper and more effective method of reducing the harms and costs of problematic drug use — or is there also a philosophical component? Some people simply believe that it’s their right to consume whatever they choose without government interference.

I’m not a philosopher, I’m a regulator. The question for me is, should whoever is making the sales be regulated, pay taxes, and follow the law or not? So yes, it’s a practical question for me.

What, if anything, will you do to advance this policy?

I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to speak about this in my role as a commissioner. It’s totally outside the scope of cannabis regulation and the job of the commission. But as a drug policy expert, I think that it’s important to talk about the devastation that drug prohibition is causing. It’s a waste of money and resources, but the harmful use of drugs is a real problem. More of the same isn’t going to produce different results. We need a new approach, and I’m just one of many experts on this subject who are starting to consider legal regulation as an option.

I have a full-time job and a full plate at the moment. But I think it’s important to start a serious dialogue about it, collect data, and consider different options. That’s why I’m talking about it.

Is it realistic to hope that this will ever be implemented? Massachusetts recently abandoned a proposal to create safe injection sites, despite supportive data, after the US Attorney for Massachusetts issued a threatening statement calling them illegal — and that’s a lot less controversial than what you’re proposing.

Sensible drug policies tend to start with the people, not with political leaders. Just as we saw with cannabis legalization, it starts with people having discussions with their neighbors, family, friends, and then political leaders have to follow.

can2.jpg
can3.jpg
canabis.jpg

Last edited:
She's not wrong, though. Trying to protect people from themselves has always ended in failure.

-Mike
That is not the problem, Mike. MA .gov is a drug dealer who uses taxpayers' money to support the habit. One Narcan injection is $70. Some druggies need 2 or 3 per day. Who do you think pays for those?

Anyway, Shaleen Tile is well connected to 4 Riders of Apocalypse which were just elected in the midterms. Stupid, drug addicted nation is the goal.

That is not the problem, Mike. MA .gov is a drug dealer who uses taxpayers' money to support the habit. One Narcan injection is $70. Some druggies need 2 or 3 per day. Who do you think pays for those?

Anyway, Shaleen Tile is well connected to 4 Riders of Apocalypse which were just elected in the midterms. Stupid, drug addicted nation is the goal.

In terms of cost to society/ taxpayers, it’s obvious that tobacco and alcohol are the main issues.

Compared to the $100,000,000,000 that's spent each year on the war on drugs nationally (not to mention the innocent lives lost in no-knock raids), that's small potatoes. Let the people using the drugs start paying for the Narcan through taxes on said drugs, taxes on the businesses selling them, income/payroll taxes for the employees, etc.

What Pete said. I would much rather abolish the DEA and FDA and hand out all that money as Narcan free candy than allow government to control what you can and cannot put in your own body.

In terms of cost to society/ taxpayers, it’s obvious that tobacco and alcohol are the main issues.
Wait a couple years until we have more documented/profound effects of legal MJ usage........
Anyone that thinks for even a second that MJ isnt going to have as profound if not MORE profound negative effect are totally daft.......
There's no way "legal MJ usage" will have anywhere near the same "documented/profound effects" as alcohol.

The impact on society (lost productivity, etc) may be similar to hard liquor, but in health effects, THC is closer to tobacco, especially in that much of the negative effects are related to the delivery method (smoking) not the active ingredients -- nicotine alone represents little if any hazard to the user.

We pay BILLIONS for le raids and all that WOD horsecrap, nevermind the rights violations and citizens killed because of WOD stupidity. Guys like Jose Gurena are DEAD as direct result of this shitty drug policy.

"moar prohibition" is almost never the answer. IMO prohibition has made the drug problems far worse since the 80s to today....

-Mike

Wait a couple years until we have more documented/profound effects of legal MJ usage........

Anyone that thinks for even a second that MJ isnt going to have as profound if not MORE profound negative effect are totally daft.......

With that said I really dont care what others choose to put into their system so long as they are FORCED to accept in its entirety the costs of their (bad) choices in life

So, right now, more people die from alcohol than all illegal drugs combined. But, somehow legalizing marijuana (a drug which is impossible to overdose from), is going to result in a massive health care crisis?

Personally, I don’t believe in the prohibition of drugs, it’s immoral and it’s a massive waste of money. But, if you are concerned about health care dollars, go after fat cigarette smokers.

I'd rather not have that money stolen from my pay every week period so I can better prepare for retirement..........instead take a small % of that $$$....set up addict stations in certain municipalities and stage a dumpster full of shit in a fenced compound......its like a roach motel....addicts go in but they dont come out......

I agree with that. I'm just saying handing out Narcan is not even a drop compared to the bucket that is the DEAs budget.

I’m certain that using marijuana is bad for you. I’m also certain that it is addictive for some people. I doubt that the health and societal impacts are as bad as alcohol.

Here is a recent study about alcohol:

There's "no safe level of alcohol," major new study concludes

There are about 90,000 alcohol-related deaths each year in the US. As bad as that is, the societal impact of Prohibition was worse.

I find the hypocrisy of people fighting the “demon weed” while freely talking about how much they enjoy alcohol to be breathtaking.

If you're going to make driving under the influence of alcohol illegal then you also need to do the same thing with MJ.......

Driving under the influence of drugs, including marijuana, is already illegal.

MGL Chapter 90 Section 24:

Section 24. (1) (a) (1) Whoever, upon any way or in any place to which the public has a right of access, or upon any way or in any place to which members of the public have access as invitees or licensees, operates a motor vehicle with a percentage, by weight, of alcohol in their blood of eight one-hundredths or greater, or while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, or of marijuana, narcotic drugs, depressants or stimulant substances, all as defined in section one of chapter ninety-four C, or the vapors of glue shall be punished by a fine of not less than five hundred nor more than five thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years, or both such fine and imprisonment....

Full text here: General Law - Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 24

Commercial growers (farmers) spray chemicals all over their products NOW! Do you really think they aren't going to spray marijuana with the same shit?

Commercial farmers don't need to have EACH BATCH OF their product lab tested for that before it can be sold, which is why when Juan shits in the field he's picking lettuce in and doesn't wash his hands, you find out about the E.Coli in the lettuce from the FDA - AFTER it gets people sick, not after it's been analyzed.

Every batch of legal weed has to be analyzed before sale and meet the criteria. The testing labs also have to be independent of the growers.

Has anyone here ever heard of people getting sick in large groups from bad weed? Seriously? The black market private sector seems to be doing just fine without gov involvement

Has anyone here ever heard of people getting sick in large groups from bad weed? Seriously? The black market private sector seems to be doing just fine without gov involvement

The problem isnt that the black market makes bad weed. The problem is the black market has no legal recourse against those who do them wrong. When you wrong the black market you arent taken to court and sued.

That all goes away with legalization. If you.buy a product that poisons you, you have recourse.

My point is you dont need gov involved for inspections.

That all goes away with legalization. If you.buy a product that poisons you, you have recourse.

My point is you dont need gov involved for inspections.

Of course we don't need inspections. But people need to get paid. And as it turns out, it's a LOT of people. If greasing half the state is what it takes to get this legal, than so be it. Seriously. The war on drugs has killed such a retarded amount of people and wasted hundreds of billions? maybe trillions of dollars? On a plant?

CO is making more on pot in taxes than booze from what I understand and there are STILL people who are against this for "reasons." The lack of critical thinking skills is majorly alarming.

Driving under the influence of drugs, including marijuana, is already illegal.
And druggies behind the wheels have already more accidents than drunks.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...led-under-the-influence-of-drugs-than-alcohol
SOME 22.3 PERCENT OF fatally injured motorists who were tested for drugs tested positive for marijuana in 2016, a figure that researchers say has "increased substantially" in recent years as states have legalized the drug for recreational or medicinal use, according to a new report.

The finding, in a study released Thursday by the Governors Highway Safety Association, was one of several regarding the growing prevalence of drugs in vehicle fatalities. The report also found that 44 percent of drivers killed in automobile accidents in 2016 who were tested for drugs tested positive for one or more substances – a number that was up 28 percent from 10 years prior. That figure eclipsed the 37.9 percent who were known to have been tested for alcohol and tested positive – a figure that actually fell in the last decade, from 41 percent in 2006.
Hedlund attributes the decline in alcohol-related deaths to the "broad societal consensus" that drunk driving is wrong. There's a "strong societal consensus. It's [drunk driving] is bad," he says. "Everyone knows it's bad." However, this way of thinking hasn't caught up to drug-impaired driving yet. That's where education comes in.

So how many of you stoners were at the grand opening of cultivate....
So it’s 20% sales tax on legal stuff? Where does all that $$ go, more slush funds and handouts...

So how many of you stoners were at the grand opening of cultivate....
So it’s 20% sales tax on legal stuff? Where does all that $$ go, more slush funds and handouts...

I'm not a stoner. I don't drink alcohol. I don't use drugs, including marijuana. Now that marijuana is legal in MA, I still won't use it. I don't recommend that others use alcohol or drugs, but that is their personal choice to make. No, I don't think that my decision makes me any better than anyone else.

I accept that people want to drink alcohol and use drugs. The war on drugs has failed just as clearly as Prohibition failed. We can't arrest our way out of this problem. Legalize it, regulate it, and tax it -- that is far better than continuing to send our money to the Mexican Mafia and continuing to escalate the war on drugs.

As to where the taxes go, where do you think they go? Alcohol excise tax in MA goes into the general fund. Marijuana tax in MA goes into the general fund.

Last edited:
And druggies behind the wheels have already more accidents than drunks.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-...led-under-the-influence-of-drugs-than-alcohol

Actually, that is not what that article said. You have to read it really closely:

he finding, in a study released Thursday by the Governors Highway Safety Association, was one of several regarding the growing prevalence of drugs in vehicle fatalities. The report also found that 44 percent of drivers killed in automobile accidents in 2016 who were tested for drugs tested positive for one or more substances – a number that was up 28 percent from 10 years prior. That figure eclipsed the 37.9 percent who were known to have been tested for alcohol and tested positive – a figure that actually fell in the last decade, from 41 percent in 2006.

What is says is that 44% of drivers killed who were tested for drugs tested positive, and that 37.9% who were tested for alcohol tested positive.

It doesn't tell you how many were tested for drugs or how many were tested for alcohol. So we have no way of knowing how many tested positive for drugs or alcohol. Furthermore, "tested positive" doesn't necessarily mean under the influence or that the accident was caused by alcohol or drugs. Someone might have been 0.01% blood alcohol, and thus way below the legal limit, and yet still "tested positive" for alcohol. Similarly, someone could have used marijuana the day before they died, but still "tested positive", even though they weren't stoned at the time that they died.

You can't draw any conclusions from that article, except to say that the article is very misleading (quite likely deliberately so).

Back
Top Bottom