Buying Legal Pot Will Get You On The Federal Database

Growing your own pot indoors is slightly less fragrant than having an indoor pet skunk.

When we were underage we would round up the village drunk to buy for us for the price of a fifth of cheap vodka. Just find a pot head and give him $10 to get your order

Channel 7 news story this morning showing clerk scanning drivers license and info popping up on his screen. AKA data base.

So if something is "popping up" after scanning a DL, they must be doing something in accordance with state law. Otherwise,where is this info coming from ?

If its coming from the state,it is in compliance with a law,therefore it has to be in print somewhere.

Its fake news...first its probably isnt stored and even if it were, buying/possesing wouldnt make you a PP until after convicted in a federal court.

The state ltc question doesn't asked if you've ever bought or possesed a legal products... its user / addicted to, or a known drucken ashole....

Even if you buy weed, it doesnt mean you smoked it..i buy beer all the time and rarely drink it.

I cant name a president in my life time that wasn't clearly on drugs and or admited it openly that they have done them..

You could solve the opiod death epidemic if it were legal.... i have a hard time supporting the government regulating anything.....it never should have illegalized it in the first place... i can't think of one positive thing that has come from prohibition

A lot of liquor stores are scanning licenses these days. I don’t know whether MA law or regulations will require scanning licenses, but it would not surprise me if most MJ stores in MA scan licenses.

Let me get this right: In Mass, citizens to vote to legalize pot outright. Now State and LE start 'scanning' licenses for both liquor and MJ for what purposes ? For age validation, fine, but it's another attempt at State jack-bootery...and intimidation, then eff them.

I assume the MJ stores are doing to help decrease the likelyhood of selling to a minor.. because the penalty is worse than Tabacco or alcohol.

It doesn't stop you from using somone else real ID

Have to agree.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to get a medical permit and then try to buy guns, or to have your DL scanned at a pot outlet. It's (probably) not.

But that's a different issue than suggesting there's routine coordination and cooperation between states (which may or may not maintain "databases" from point-of-sale records) and the feds with the NICS system. I can be a big tin-foiler too, but that doesn't pass the smell test given the state/federal tension on this issue, among other things.

So if something is "popping up" after scanning a DL, they must be doing something in accordance with state law. Otherwise,where is this info coming from ?

If its coming from the state,it is in compliance with a law,therefore it has to be in print somewhere.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I thought all the info is stored in the 2D barcode on the back of the license. When they scan it, it's actually pulling the info from there, not querying a database.

Have to agree.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to get a medical permit and then try to buy guns, or to have your DL scanned at a pot outlet. It's (probably) not.

But that's a different issue than suggesting there's routine coordination and cooperation between states (which may or may not maintain "databases" from point-of-sale records) and the feds with the NICS system. I can be a big tin-foiler too, but that doesn't pass the smell test given the state/federal tension on this issue, among other things.
...but in a state like Assachusetts with a policy of - if not outright disarmament, than at least "discouraging self-help" - I'm not about to trust them.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I thought all the info is stored in the 2D barcode on the back of the license. When they scan it, it's actually pulling the info from there, not querying a database.

Check out the PatronScan website (linked to upthread). Their at-the-door scanner uploads details to the Internet.

I agree, a properly designed ID with 2D barcode should be self-authenticating, a handheld should be able to validate authenticity without needing to save data, much less upload it to a cloud service.

All the more reason to show a Passport Card instead of a DL. Proof of age and citizenship, limited utility for marketing databases.

Is all that fact?

Dude; once you've gone thrip -
that's how you'll trip

Why would I want to grow wild birds in my backyard? /sarcasm

CoopersHawk-Pollard.jpg

CVS scans IDs
For what?

Shop at Walgreens then.

During "outdoor club week" at EMS
you used to be able to get a discount
if you showed proof of outdoor club membership.

One year I showed my mineral club card.
But another year I couldn't find that in my wallet.

So I showed my REI card.

If Walgreens has two brain cells to rub against each other,
they're willing to scan CVS cards...

Medical marijuana patients federally barred from buying firearms

"
Pind said he has seen it happen to Missourians who bought pot in Colorado, where it is legal.

"They came back to Missouri, went to purchase a gun. You have to have a photo ID. When we run your name through the computer, it automatically connects you with buying marijuana in Colorado," Pind said.

That's because dispensaries also check identification for marijuana purchases."

It may not be an actual "Federal Database" - but the feds are using this database.

The tinfoil is strong with this one....
I visited a shop in Colorado this summer just to check it out, didn't buy anything. You need to have your ID scanned just to get in the door. They weren't rescanning at time of purchase and it's cash only. I assume MA shops will follow the same model.

The tinfoil is strong with this one....
I visited a shop in Colorado this summer just to check it out, didn't buy anything. You need to have your ID scanned just to get in the door. They weren't rescanning at time of purchase and it's cash only. I assume MA shops will follow the same model.
Why do they need to scan an ID if a person is a grey haired 60 year old with a long beard?
Not saying that is you, Hikes.
If they are just verifying your age, they do not need to scan an ID.
They are obviously keeping this information for a reason.

Here is an ID scanning company that works with pot stores:

3 Reasons ID Scanning is Crucial for Successful Dispensary Operation - Welcome to IDScan.net

The claim that they store the ID data and share it with Law Enforcement.

Its fake news...first its probably isnt stored and even if it were, buying/possesing wouldnt make you a PP until after convicted in a federal court.

Lol tell that to the people who got denied carry permits when it was found out that they had MMJ cards. This turned into a lawsuit, which in
turn, failed.

Even if you buy weed, it doesnt mean you smoked it..i buy beer all the time and rarely drink it.

Yeah, but the legal bar for PP via case law is now set as low as simply having a medical marajuana card. Think about that for a
moment. No proof of use or purchase required, merely a card which "suggest you might be a user".

I agree with the general premise of your post though, I think its mostly fake BS, unless there's some concerted effort to link things together.... ?

-Mike

Medical marijuana patients federally barred from buying firearms

"
Pind said he has seen it happen to Missourians who bought pot in Colorado, where it is legal.

"They came back to Missouri, went to purchase a gun. You have to have a photo ID. When we run your name through the computer, it automatically connects you with buying marijuana in Colorado," Pind said.

That's because dispensaries also check identification for marijuana purchases."

It may not be an actual "Federal Database" - but the feds are using this database.

I still think that's mostly bullshit. Read what Kevin NH said. There's no "known pot user index" at NICS, unless this bloviator cited in the article is onto
something that's happening without public knowledge.

-Mike

I still think that's mostly bullshit. Read what Kevin NH said. There's no "known pot user index" at NICS, unless this bloviator cited in the article is onto
something that's happening without public knowledge.

Perhaps. But contemplate what I said, above. If your pot shoppe is in, say, Assatwoshits, where victim disarmament is all but codified into law, and you have a handy RDBMS of purchasers, who (under Federal law), are PP as purchasers (and presumed users), and considering most of the places legalizing pot shoppes are of the same ideological bent of said Assatwoshits, it's not a quantum leap...

Yeah, but the legal bar for PP via case law is now set as low as simply having a medical marajuana card. Think about that for a moment. No proof of use or purchase required, merely a card which "suggest you might be a user".

The 9th Circuit court has affirmed BATFE's assertion that possession of a MMJ card is sufficient to meet the "evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time" (27 C.F.R. § 478.11) criteria for denying a sale, but merely having the card does not actually render the cardholder a "prohibited person" under Federal law.

I agree with the general premise of your post though, I think its mostly fake BS, unless there's some concerted effort to link things together.... ?
What's interesting about the urban legend is that it specifies a Missouri resident visited a recreational MJ retailer in Colorado, then was denied purchasing a firearm back home in Missouri. Unlike Massachusetts, there's no state-level card or permit to purchase for a Missouri resident, and the only relevant state-level restriction is MO Rev Stat § 571.070 which uses the phrase "is habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition", a tougher test to fail than BATFE's "evidence of a recent use or possession".

I suspect FUD, scare tactics in advance of Missouri's newly passed MMJ card ballot measure.

The 9th Circuit court has affirmed BATFE's assertion that possession of a MMJ card is sufficient to meet the "evidence of a recent use or possession of a controlled substance or a pattern of use or possession that reasonably covers the present time" (27 C.F.R. § 478.11) criteria for denying a sale, but merely having the card does not actually render the cardholder a "prohibited person" under Federal law.

Doesn't make any sense though, because prohibited person can be a transient state, no? At least WRT drugs. Isn't that the entire argument for denying
the sale? Or is there a piece of law outside of the GCA prohibited person thing that I'm missing, WRT drug users?

Of course the courts don't say if someone who rescinds this card or has the state revoke it, could regain their rights.

-Mike

I wasn't arguing that there is such a law, I'm arguing that it's unconstitutional. Your first post seemed to support the notion that this is acceptable.

Should I do this and YouTube it?
The way it’s regulated it is not unconstitutional but I still think we should just regulate it like alcohol (DUI, not at work, etc)

Doesn't make any sense though, because prohibited person can be a transient state, no? At least WRT drugs. Isn't that the entire argument for denying the sale? Or is there a piece of law outside of the GCA prohibited person thing that I'm missing, WRT drug users?
I haven't had a chance to read the whole 9th circuit decision in Wilson v. Lynch, but it does have interesting parallels to the claim, specifically Wilson says that while she had a MMJ card, she was not a drug user -- a claim which neither prevented the district court from dismissing her 2A claim nor the 9th circuit from upholding the dismissal.

Specifically, Wilson v. Lynch draws a distinction between Prohibited Persons as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 922(d)(3) and BATFE guidance in the "Open Letter" instructing dealers not to sell to MMJ cardholders.

Politicians who would love to pile up our AR's and AK's and run them over with a steamroller are, for the most part, the same people who are pushing hardest to legalize weed at the state level, while doing nothing federally. That is concerning to me.

Politicians who would love to pile up our AR's and AK's and run them over with a steamroller are, for the most part, the same people who are pushing hardest to legalize weed at the state level, while doing nothing federally. That is concerning to me.
Do you think they want legal weed unless it allows gun owners to also get legal weed?

What do you expect from the scum of the Earth?

Back
Top Bottom