• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun based on looks

GwsQeef.jpg

Guns are like girls. They need to be at least moderately good looking for me to consider them.

But i they are stunning, then I am a true sucker.

Glocks fall into the first category. When I first saw a Glock in the 80s, I thought it was hideous compared to my S&W 6906 Gen3 gun.
Then it grew on me. Now I appreciate its solid, basic, spartan good looks.

To me the XD is hideous with its tall slide.
The M&P looks like a glock that has had some cosmetic work done on it.

With all that said. Its tough to beat a blued 1911 that has some honest holster wear on all the high points, wearing a set of hand cut wood grips.

In a shotgun, its tough to beat a nice double.

Don

My shotgun is the best looking thing I own, by a decent margin. Money well spent.

For me, looks aren't that big of a deal because I like how almost every gun looks. The only ones that I can think of that I'm not a fan of are the Astra 400s.

I think a lot has gone downhill with plastic guns. Sure, they're light, but they are often ugly. You'd think some of the nice metal alloys would allow some older designs to stick around, to keep the good designs with new materials.

Here's a couple (I'll leave the 1911's and revolvers to someone else to post):

137220_01_makarov_9mm_640.jpg

th

(left out Luger, Ruger MkII...)

Oh, and I DESPISE "rails" on a handgun.

I have to say, I love my Glock. The total package is what counts. It is like a good man: reliable; always there for me; rugged; can take a beating- and deliver an even superior one; will defend me; loves to eat (ammo); and isn't high maintenance. [grin]

I have to say, I love my Glock. The total package is what counts. It is like a good man: reliable; always there for me; rugged; can take a beating- and deliver an even superior one; will defend me; loves to eat (ammo); and isn't high maintenance. [grin]

Glock girl.... guess the best question to ask is how you doin

Sir,
Function over form. Glocks are ugly but they work, HK's are sexy, but they work. I find Walther's sexy as well, more so than Glocks, and they work. I would consider reliability, engineering durability, parts availability then looks. Comfort is subjective and sometimes it just takes time and use to see that an "uncomfortable" gun actually is pretty comfy.
Brian
Zero Hour Arms

Oh, I posted earlier. Didn't realize that that sexy images were okay. Here are just a few then:

And for those with a bit of a kink:

Keep taunting me and I may show the 1940's threw 70's ones.

Last edited:
Tarus 606 357 magnum snub nosed revolver. Ugly or good looking? what are your opinions. I just got one not long ago and love it. But I am biased I am its father so i cant see what others see -
IMG_0113.JPG

To me, looks often mean condition.for example I have guns that are 30-90 years old That have never to my knowledge been fired.
If you can appreciate firearms without firing them then yes looks are everything. So yes ownership/looks can be a deciding factor.

That's said I'm confident my collectables would function and be a treasure to shoot.
While most of the pieces I use do take wear and overtime become an eye sore, I'd trust them with my life and don't plan to have them painted or redone ever.

MGnoob,

An attractive gun that acquires a patina through honest wear is actually better looking than new. I think most of us will agree.

Of course honest wear is different from abuse. I once bought a 1911 that looked like it had been dragged behind a car for a mile or so. It had been clearly abused. It will never look good.

In contrast, my Les Baer has lost all its bluing on the high spots from all the times I've drawn it from a holster. I think it looks bettter than new.

Don

MGnoob,

An attractive gun that acquires a patina through honest wear is actually better looking than new. I think most of us will agree.

Of course honest wear is different from abuse. I once bought a 1911 that looked like it had been dragged behind a car for a mile or so. It had been clearly abused. It will never look good.

In contrast, my Les Baer has lost all its bluing on the high spots from all the times I've drawn it from a holster. I think it looks bettter than new.

Don

Indeed, this would be especially true of collectibles for historical significants do to an event or original owner..which are pieces pretty much out of my league .

I wouldn't call any of my wear a patina or abuse ..just used. Like in the utility box of a 4x4 gator type vehicles or tossed in a glove box..
Lost one in a stream one time when pinned under an atv under water.it took me almost 2 hours to find.
Or even just repeatedly caught in the rain on a mottorcycle and not get to dry it off as soon as would be ideal..

I've got one I fell off a dirt bike on the asphalt that has some real character.lol

box

Back
Top Bottom