• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun based on looks

don't know for sure but i'm convinced it plays an important part of the decision way down in one's subconscious. that chiappa rino .357 has looks only a mother could love, unconventional to say the least. bet that hurt sales somewhat, huh?

It matters to me, but it's only one factor in many for selection of a gun and it's not dispositive.

I think most Rugers and Walther polymer framed guns look like ass. I even think the Springfield xD is shitty looking. Doesn't mean I would never buy one or try it, but it does go in the con column if I'm evaluating a possible purchase. As long as you're not sacrificing a huge tangible benefit like carry comfort, I don't see it as an issue--particularly when there are so many other good choices out there that I don't consider to be as fugly.

Unlike Obie, I think the XDm is a good looking pistol. That being said, if it didn't fit my hand well, or the controls didn't work for me, I wouldn't own it. I'm not a vanity gun guy, I like holster wear and dings in wood furniture from use, but it is fortunate for me that I like the looks of the my pistol of choice.

It's certainly a major consideration for me, although I would never purchase a crap gun based solely on looks.

There are a lot of good guns out there, looks differentiate.

The ruger MK III Hunter model I purchased was on looks alone. I also like the looks of the new browning bookmark.... some guns will appeal to people more than others. To me the basic 1911 is not much to the eye but is by far my favorite pistol.

How much does the look of a gun play into your purchase of fire arms?

I've walked into a shop a couple of times just to look around and walked out with guns because they screamed at me "TAKE ME HOME". I've got a lever action Puma-Rossi in 38/.357 that's simply beautiful. I've had it for almost 30 years, maybe put 500 rounds through it and have no practical use for it. It's not going anywhere. I bought a SS Ruger Blackhawk in .44 magnum just because it called my name. A couple beautiful Kimbers, same thing. The aesthetics of them appeal to me, serious considerations in my purchasing decision.

And I'm sure there's a logical reason I've got FOUR Buckmarks in my safe right now -- if you can come up with it let me know so I can try it out on my wife.

Two feet away from me right now is my Glock 34, tru-glo sights, holstered, round in the chamber, full mag inserted, two spare mags next to it. Ugly, utilitaritarian, totally reliable, the definition of function over form.

I wouldnt buy a gun on looks alone thats for sure. Functionality is key !! But im not gunna lie and say its notmin the back of mind.

I agree with what most have said. It's not the SOLE criteria, but it is definitely high on the list. Either way, I would never own a finicky, unreliable gun, so if I can't work with the internals to make it 100%, even if it's not from the factory, then it has to go, no matter how cool it is.

Looks shouldn't matter. Reliability matters.

I carry a Walther PPS. That's a pretty ugly gun, but it's thin, fairly small and reliable.

Definitely plays a part in the purchase. Glocks are just basic looking... I don't think they're ugly. I concur with Obie on the Ruger and Walther theme, some are just hideous.

Personally, I despise two-tone handguns. Rifles can have a mixture, but not pistols for some reason...

In a gun that my life may depend on, looks don't matter at all. What matters is reliability, how well you are able to shoot it, etc. In a range toy or collection piece, looks become more important.

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife"

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be more shallow than others because the look of one usually attracts my attention...but it is not the end all be all in the purchasing decision

Is it bad looks play an important part for me and the first gun I bought was a Glock 19?

Reliability is my #1 but I actually like the looks of Glocks.

I too am shallow. Looks do play an equal part on my decisions but so does ergonomics (fit and feel) and dependability (by reading up on a given model). Case in point, I don't care for Blackhawks but love the Vaquero.

There is an entire industry popping up around changing the look of a gun.

Look up battleworn. People are paying extra for a gun that looks used and a little beat up. You could always, you know, actually use the gun yourself to accomplish the look, free of charge!

I bought my Ruger 10/22 International based on looks. I already had a 10/22 carbine and knew it's quality but I wanted that one because of it's different look/stock.

i was going to buy a CZ skorpion evo based pretty much on looks and features alone. i'm glad i didn't as i shot one and was not impressed. pretty sad as i had a major boner for that thing.

i was going to buy a CZ skorpion evo based pretty much on looks and features alone. i'm glad i didn't as i shot one and was not impressed. pretty sad as i had a major boner for that thing.

You just killed my boner. Cock block.

Ditto. Square and square with square just doesn't do it for me.
But most inportant is it's got to fit, run like a sewing machine and be accurate.

Then you can't beat the PPK/S if you get a good one. I love mine and fits your criteria. I've read a lot of posts on them having FTF's and FTE's. Most say it's limp wristing and such. I've always felt it was rough feed ramps more then anything. Mine have been polished to a mirror finish. I also dry tumble the ammunition in corn cob media, roll around in a rag and then hit it with Remi-dry lube. Really slicks it up and I use only FMJ's, preferably European like S&B's. I do the same with my .22's.

I've fired it using just my fingers and hardly any grip, rapid fired it as fast as I could, let others try it to try and get a malfunction. None. It's no problem to get all blacks at the ten yard rapid fire. Mine is the Smith version. I do like the extended beaver tail and I've never gotten a slide bite from it.

Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom