• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Buying a gun based on looks

Walther PPK - sexy little thang - and I want one so bad.

Years ago, like around 1987 or so I bought a PPK/S when it was imported by InterArms because face it, JAMES BOND had one... I got rid of it because it wouldn't reliably double-action the first round.

Take a look at Sig's P232, to my admittedly untrained eye, it looks like a PPK and my wife has had no trouble at all with hers.

Sorry, not buying this based on looks

taurus-curve-380-pocket-pistol-inhand-245x300.jpg

PPK/S....I've always felt it was rough feed ramps more then anything. Mine have been polished to a mirror finish. I also dry tumble the ammunition in corn cob media, roll around in a rag and then hit it with Remi-dry lube. Really slicks it up and I use only FMJ's, preferably European like S&B's.

Keeping with the thread, my G19 isn't the prettiest but I can buy inexpensive 9mm ammo, load it up and it goes bang every time.

I don't buy something because it looks good, but I have not bought something because of looks.

Looks are probably the 2nd factor that i consider after looking at functionality. It usually influences what variant or if i am picking from a rack of milsurps. I do know that i would avoid very ugly guns like the Taurus Curve but am strangely drawn to quirky things like the Chiappa Rhino.

I like guns that display good fit and finish, mostly the older guns. The new stuff just doesn't display the fine craftsmanship of the old guns. Yes most manufacturers of 1911's have some good looking guns but you know with today's manufacturing there is little fitting done to the gun. Last Kimber I bought wouldn't run, customer service said I should fix the extractor myself and save having to ship and wait....

Take a look at Sig's P232, to my admittedly untrained eye, it looks like a PPK and my wife has had no trouble at all with hers.

I got terrible slide bite from mine. Had to get rid of it. Loved the look, though.

I want functionality in a good looking package. SIG, CZ, snake wheel guns, 686, Berettas, and a few more. I wanted a Caracal, shot one, and bought another SIG instead.

I personally prefer the sigma series looks over the m&p series I won't ever own a ruger polymer based on looks alone. Functionality is key like everyone is saying but I prefer a glock to the lcr series so I own glocks if glocks aren't your cup of tea Springfield fn s&w all are about as reliable as your going to need. Then still you can go sig Beretta. There's enough pretty choices out there to fit everyone's taste no need to be carrying something you think is hideous. Unless it's just a blast to shoot my little sterling 25 fit that criteria for a while I just loved shooting the little guy even though it was ugly as sin the mag broke which is why I sold it but I loved shooting it. That AND 25 was a bitch to find

I'll admit I'm a sucker for stainless guns, especially polished stainless like my CZ75b and my polished chrome/nickel plated Mossberg 500. I always prefer stainless over blued finishes.

It's kind of like dating - if she's not a certain level of hotness, you're not going to bother trying to find out of you're compatible. But then some women sneak up on you and become attractive despite the lack of initial appeal. i.e. Glocks.

I think Glocks are "ok" looking, i just like their simplicity and reliability. As compared to M&P's and Rugers, glocks are supermodels. IMHO

I'm not enthusiastic about how the SCAR 17 looks, but i'm gonna get one someday. i'm more attracted to its notoriously good reliability and it's relatively scant weight for a 308 battle rifle.

Id buy 1911's based on looks due to the fact that to me they aren't a SHTF type of gun, IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm fully aware that I won't buy ugly guns. that said, beauty is the eye of the beholder and theres plenty of uggos I personally think look really cool.

Is it bad looks play an important part for me and the first gun I bought was a Glock 19?

Reliability is my #1 but I actually like the looks of Glocks.
I'm glad somebody said it. I own several Glocks and the G17 was my first handgun and it still looks great. I tried an M&P 9, Sig 226, Ruger SR9, and the G17 before I decided on the G17 so I guess function had a lot to do with it also. But I think they look great. I have an M&P Shield 9MM for EDC but I'll be replacing it with a G43 when they become available for a reasonable price.

Did I mention that I have a Bluegun G17 also? (Ain't she pretty!)
Blue Glock.jpg

I just realized that I was not totally honest ... there is one gun I own that I bought simply on looks (and at a great price).

I have a Royal Blue Colt Python 6 inch revolver that I do take out sometimes , dust off, and just look at.

Guns are like girls. They need to be at least moderately good looking for me to consider them.

But i they are stunning, then I am a true sucker.

Glocks fall into the first category. When I first saw a Glock in the 80s, I thought it was hideous compared to my S&W 6906 Gen3 gun.
Then it grew on me. Now I appreciate its solid, basic, spartan good looks.

To me the XD is hideous with its tall slide.
The M&P looks like a glock that has had some cosmetic work done on it.

With all that said. Its tough to beat a blued 1911 that has some honest holster wear on all the high points, wearing a set of hand cut wood grips.

In a shotgun, its tough to beat a nice double.

Don

But then again, sometimes I'll build something truly hideous looking because thats how it ends up when I work it over in a form follows function kind of way.

Here are couple of my ugliest. The first is a stone cold killer .22 steel plate gun. The second is a 1 MOA rifle that weighs 5.2 lbs, has absolutely no recoil and cycles so fast its startling.

Don

Back
Top Bottom