Bush administration wants CCW in some parks

In the news

Proposal would ease ban on guns in national parks
Associated Press - May 1, 2008 5:33 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Bush administration is proposing changes that would allow people to carry concealed weapons in some national parks and wildlife refuges.

Only those who have permits for concealed weapons would be allowed to carry guns. And the state where the park or refuge is located would also have to allow guns in parks.

Current federal rules require guns to be unloaded and placed somewhere that isn't easily accessible such as the truck of a car.

In proposing the change, Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne says the safety of park and refuge visitors remains "a top priority" of the department.

But the idea of guns in federal parks is drawing criticism. The chairman of a park service retirees group says it would increase the risk to visitors, employees and wildlife. He says the move is "politically driven" with no data to suggest that the public would be served by the change. California Senator Dianne Feinstain says the plan "makes no sense."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press

I just love the logic of the gun owers will suddenly become violent criminals and hunt out of season simply because we now allow them to carry concealed, with a legal permit, in a park.

She's a moron.

Ask her if her privite protection service leaves their firearms in the car when the have to escourt her in a park.

Ask her if her privite protection service leaves their firearms in the car when the have to escourt her in a park.
If she has private protection services she won't understand that we need to protect ourselves. According to my experience, people who oppose using guns for self defense usually live in safe areas.

National Park Concealed Carry

I placed this here because I don't want it to be overlooked in the gun laws section.

I am shocked that this issue has made it this far, but the Department of the Interior is now considering revising 36 CFR 2.4 to allow concealed carry of firearms. There is a 60 day comment period now open. Please follow the third link below and throw in your 2 cents.

Here's the new text:

Sec. 2.4 Weapons, traps and nets.

(h) A person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded,
and operable firearms within a national park area in the same manner,
and to the same extent, that a person may lawfully possess, carry, and
transport concealed, loaded and operable firearms in any state park, or
any similar unit of state land, in the state in which the federal park,
or that portion thereof, is located, provided that such possession,
carrying and transporting otherwise complies with applicable federal
and state law

A link to some background info:

http://www.doi.gov/news/08_News_Releases/080430.html

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...ntentType=html

Add you comments here. Don't let the Antis have the only input on this issue.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...0000648053d497

Back
Top Bottom