• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug out Rifle

Seriously guys, if you're bugging out that means you did something wrong. Just make the other guy bug out. It's easy, you just need to get into a 4G inverted dive with him and take his picture. No rifle needed.

Nice.

Charlie: Excuse me, Lieutenant. Is there something wrong?
Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate.
Charlie: How's that, Lieutenant?
Maverick: Well, I just happened to see a MiG 28 do a...
Goose: We!
Maverick: Uh, sorry, Goose. *We* happened to see a MiG 28 do a 4g negative dive.
Charlie: Where did you see this?
Maverick: Uh, that's classified.
Charlie: It's what?
Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

*Top Gun*

It seems the majority of you guys think the AR is the rifle to have if SHTF. I plan on staying put for as long as I can. So I need a good rifle for defence, but, if I have to travel, I"ll still need one. Is there one AR stlye the would be good for most things in a SHTF situation. Thanks for any answers. I am still pretty new to this.

It seems the majority of you guys think the AR is the rifle to have if SHTF. I plan on staying put for as long as I can. So I need a good rifle for defence, but, if I have to travel, I"ll still need one. Is there one AR stlye the would be good for most things in a SHTF situation. Thanks for any answers. I am still pretty new to this.

Yes. An M-4 style AR.

this is all i need

peashooting.jpg

Not enough, according to Madball13.

The useful range of 9mm is nowhere near the useful range of 5.56

Also notice that he said 9mm wasn't enough for him, not that it was "not enough" in general.

That being said, I'll have my 5.56 AR as my primary. Depending on what it is exactly that's going on, there's plenty of times/places where a 9mm carbine just isn't going to cut it.

...I have an AK, and yeah, never cleaning it is great, but it's not half the rifle my AR is.
-Mike

You're right, AK's don't have all those cool little pins & springs that love to go shooting off into outer space when being repaired. [wink] [smile] [pot]

Not enough, according to Madball13.

He's right, it's not. If you wanna carry a pistol and a bigger pistol, just say it.

The useful range of 9mm is nowhere near the useful range of 5.56

Also notice that he said 9mm wasn't enough for him, not that it was "not enough" in general.

That being said, I'll have my 5.56 AR as my primary. Depending on what it is exactly that's going on, there's plenty of times/places where a 9mm carbine just isn't going to cut it.

When compared to real rifles, he's right and I'm with him.

I'm sorry, I thought this was for home security type uses.

9 mm ammo is plentiful and so is 12 gauge, with a 12 gauge you can defend, hunt rabbit or moose depending on the load. i'm surviving not re-enacting rambo first blood

home security and bugging out are mutually exclusive.

Re-reading the title, don't know how I got off track. Then again, "bugging out" (whatever that means to people) could happen with a 9mm handgun, so a 9mm rifle only improves things, and simplifies for some the ammo issue, no?

Nice.

*Top Gun*

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup.

Bugging out might also happen with fists and whatever you have in your pockets. The whole " I carry a gun so I'm prepared for the end of the world as I know it" is a bunch of bullshit.

Imagine being in a place where you can't carry a gun. I know we might be doing a little head-stretch for some folks here, but it happens all the time. Imagine being in a foreign country where the locals won't let you have one even though you should have one by your job description. Or having to go onto a .mil base for your job everyday.

Hell... pretend for a moment you're in Japan and the tsunami hits. Did you get there with one? On Malaysia Air flight 336?

No. You didn't.

It's way more important to learn how to live without a gun... and only after that learn how to run one harder than anyone else... than it is to sit around fiddly f*cking around in headspace pretending you're a hero with a sidearm.

But that's not internet kosher. Way better to worry about getting made with your brandy new LTC-A in a "green town". That sh*t makes for good interweb entertainment.

dayum.jpg

M4A3...5.56 seems to be a good balance between weight (lugging it around with extra ammo), general self defense and most hunting applications for the end of the world where you'd have to hunt for your own food.

Or the AK, just because it always goes bang without much care.

Hope having to chose only one isn't the case!! All my firearms are in one safe with all ammo in another,I try to keep my calibers to 9mm, .22, .223, .44 mag. .22 mag. and 308, If you have time to grab one why not an armsfull . Myself and my son are the only ones that know the combos,(hope he's with me) grab up a bunch of everything,(in the safes) our prepared bag, and GO. F250 dual tanks. winch, trailor with sleds in it, and head for the hills? Or what where do you guys suggest ya go ? My brothers got a place in VT. pretty secluded, lots of gas cans a couple of generators.

Also all the rounds you have time enough to carry, caus in a real SHTF case(fallout) in the long haul paper money, even gold won't be worth a damn, rounds may be the best currency ten to 15 thousand in various cal. I would say would be prudent wouldn't ya think? By the way I am fairly new to forum but since I have joined I do check it out almost daily, posting is rather new for me but I found out that to list in the classifieds I guess ya need to have a minimal amount of post sooo I will be posting more often and while I'm at it, I am always looking to trade various firearms so shoot me a pm if you also like to trade ect. Dennis

But to answer the question of the topic, one gun only I would have to say my Ruger 77-22 all weather, one it's pretty indistructable, two I'd problebly have to say most people including myself have more .22 rounds, second choice my AR caus second most rounds . Third Kel-Tec sub 2000 in 9mm for same reason.

Back
Top Bottom