Bug out Rifle

thats like my Mosin the rear sight goes up to 2000 meters. Unless im shooting at Godzilla how am i suppose to see something at 2000 meters with iron sights let alone hit it.

Is good Russian design. If cannot hit target at 2000 meters is fault of shooter, not of rifle. Silly Western girly-man.

for me right now it would be my Mosin Nagant since thats the only rifle i have, but idealy. No Doubt AK-47, to me a WSHTF rifle needs to be extremely reliable and the AK-47 is the king of reliablility. With everything going on i dont want to worry about maintence.

What about accuracy? AR here please and a few 30 rounders.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I'd take my AR. I like the thought of a Garand and a .30-06, but I'd be concerned of being overpowered by those who have a cap of 30 over my 8. Oh wait, that's right--only 10 rounders in MA. Well, considering I'm sure everyone will be obeying the laws, I'll take the Garand then. [grin]

If I want a 10/22, I'll just get one from someone who was taken out with something more appropriate for an end-of-the-world scenario.

I have heard there were some buffer spring issues with the M-4.
No disrespect, but that means nothing.

ARs, like 1911s, are parts guns. Anyone can make one out of good parts or shit parts. And there are dozens of parts vendors for just about everything that goes into either of them.

Buy a duty-grade AR15, or put one together with duty-grade parts, and the problems magically disappear.

Hobby-grade rifles need not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those rifles were also used for firing volleys, that's where the 2km comes from.....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Ya i could see that, although i still think that 2000 meters might be alittle rediculous. I guess Trench warfare in WW1 you could argue they shot at targets 2000 meters away.

No disrespect, but that means nothing.

ARs, like 1911s, are parts guns. Anyone can make one out of good parts or shit parts. And there are dozens of parts vendors for just about everything that goes into either of them.

Buy a duty-grade AR15, or put one together with duty-grade parts, and the problems magically disappear.

Hobby-grade rifles need not apply.

+1

While I agree with the good vs shit parts thing, if you have a poorly fitted 1911 it'll probably be a piece of shit, whereas you don't have to really "fit" anything on an AR-15. There's a lot more nuance/BS in getting a 1911 that works right than an AR that does.

I could probably put an AR together that worked on the first try with the right tools. I doubt I would be able to assemble
a 1911 unless all the parts that required fitting were pre-fitted somehow.

-Mike

While I agree with the good vs shit parts thing, if you have a poorly fitted 1911 it'll probably be a piece of shit, whereas you don't have to really "fit" anything on an AR-15. There's a lot more nuance/BS in getting a 1911 that works right than an AR that does.

I could probably put an AR together that worked on the first try with the right tools. I doubt I would be able to assemble

-Mike

You just like to nitpick, don't you? [laugh]

Your argument, whilst entirely valid, has nothing to do with the conversation.

You just like to nitpick, don't you? [laugh]

Your argument, whilst entirely valid, has nothing to do with the conversation.

True enough, it's just the years of love/hate angst I've had with 1911s coming to the surface again. [laugh]

-Mike

-Mike

I agree, but to add to it, part of what can make an AR part shitty goes beyond material quality. Spec matters too. One of the worst things for an AR seems to be gas system problems like having too big a gas port.

That AR-15 true mid-length carbine with an excellent barrel is great but you may run out of that 62. gr. ammo...

AR BCM Angled w-Bayo II Compressed.JPG

Last edited:
I was just curious, because I haven't seen it mentioned and I didn't want to start another thread. What about a scout rifle, or at least something that resembles one (it doesn't have to match Cooper's exact definition)?

I was just curious, because I haven't seen it mentioned and I didn't want to start another thread. What about a scout rifle, or at least something that resembles one (it doesn't have to match Cooper's exact definition)?

Bolt action dude. There are enough semi-auto's out there with all the accuracy you'll ever use (especially in new england) that a semi is just waaaaay more practical.

I haven't seen this one yet (haven't read all 400 posts either), but I'm going to make an argument for a .357 Mag lever gun ala Marlin 1894 w/ a companion revolver.

The ballistics and accuracy <100 yrds is impressive (I've chrono'd 140 gn bullets @ ~ 2000 fps), decent capacity, one kind of ammo to carry, very light, reliable, no magazines.

Next to a shotgun, its probably the most versatile platform I own.

do you know how long it takes to get 300 HITS, dudes? Figure 1/2 second each and that is if all shots are less than 50m and the targets are close together. At 200 yds or so, 1 second each. Mag swaps take at least 2 full seconds, even if your mags are all laid out and ready beside you. so you are looking at 5 minutes or more of constant firing. Men run the mile in 5 minutes, so who is watching the OTHER 3 directions while you fire your 300 rds? Moreover, only the stupid looters will attack in daylight, and nvd's arent much good past 300 yds. Men can easily charge 300 yds in 1 minute, even if they are dodging, going prone every 3-43seconds, rolling once they go down, using cover, and firing back. Basically, at night, you will never survive having to fire even 2 full 30 rd mags. They will overrun you before you can do more. The stupid looters will all be dead in the first week of shtf. So you need a much better plan, guy.

I was up at the SigArms Academy for a course last week. The subject turned to "bug-out" rifles. The instructor, a very well qualified individual, said his choice would be a Ruger 10-22. His argument was that he could carry a lot of ammo, the rifle was very reliable, and that the .22LR with the right load could be "effective enough" esp with his very advanced marksmanship skills...he went on to say that while range was limited, the other virtues of this choice outweighed that argument.

Food for thought, YMMV.

I would personally prefer something in 5.56, probably a bolt gun for general use, and mainly because I have never particularly cared for the AR type platform.

right, use a bolt action, able to fire 1 shot for every 6 that EACH of your autorifle using enemies can fire at you.

Back
Top Bottom