• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bug out Rifle

If you had a choice of only 1 rifle when the SHTF what would it be? Probably a 30.06 bolt for me...maybe.

AR, 30 rd mags (10 at least), Trijicon ACOG.

This would only be for bug out if the 'Golden Horde' is coming down the street and I know I have to leave.

I was looking at the Keltec SU16C for that purpose. Collapses and can be kept in the BOB and fires from the collapsed state. For when you're in a hurry!

I was looking at these just the other day and thought it would make a perfect Bug Out rifle. Love to hear feedback on anyone that might own one.

I would have to choose a 10/22 with the plastic stock:

+ The plastic stock version is very light.
+ Breaks down to 24 inches with just a coin for backpack carry
+ An old sock will carry 500-1000 rounds which should keep you fed for a while and might make a good barter item
+ Shoots golf ball sized targets at 25 yards with iron sights and very little practice
+ Its quiet and can be made quieter with simple materials and the right ammo
+ Its 200 bucks and uses ammo cheap enough so you can practice with it now

I have been looking at these also for a hidden truck gun/bugout gun. They get a pretty decent write up in most articles I have read,handling them they seem to have decent build quality and collapse pretty small,but, retain the ability to be fired collapsed(for the "c" variant) and take ARmags. With a small camelback or DAP Pack from Blue Force gear a low power varible with BDC such as Leatherwood CMR , you could put together a nice little BUGOUT kit. Finding them and at a decent price is the hard part.

I was looking at the Keltec SU16C for that purpose. Collapses and can be kept in the BOB and fires from the collapsed state. For when you're in a hurry!

10/22, if the SHTF it stops the bad guys on Contact...

article-1244225-07E9C77F000005DC-263_634x415_popup.jpg

In a SHTF scenario, all those who've picked the 10/22 (for some very practical reasons), will find themselves being picked off by those with rifles having 4 to 6 times the effective range.

They'll also have to run REALLY fast to keep up with a fleeing deer in order to pump multiple shots into vital areas.

I'll take an AR or a bolt action in a large game caliber.

Last edited:
My MSAR E4 with an aimpoint micro and mounted flashlight. Short and light.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

At this very moment? Probably my Garand. I only have 60 rounds of 5.56 right now, but LOTS of CMP .30-06, so it all comes down to supply on hand.

As much as I love my PSS in .308, I would grab my AR15 without hesitation. With my .45 on my side in case I need some knock-down power.

Where you live I think has a big effect on your decision. If you live in a big city then I imagine getting out is the biggest concern. Being already in the boonies I think being mobile, quiet, and well fed is the biggest concern.

The scenario is a bit unrealistic because I can't imagine being in a situation where I won't have the choice to take a service pistol and rilfe of some kind.

10/22's? You guys have no idea what happens when the shit hits the fan do you?

If you were 300-500 yards from a crowd of hungry refugees with 10/22's would you want to risk giving away your position? Every round you waste on them is one you could have shot at a deer. Unless you have a magic wand and can manufacture .223 with it. OTOH, I imagine bagging a deer with my 10/22 won't be that easy either.

In a SHTF scenario, all those who've picked the 10/22 (for some very practical reasons), will find themselves being picked off by those with rifles having 4 to 6 times the effective range.

Where you live I think has a big effect on your decision. If you live in a big city then I imagine getting out is the biggest concern. Being already in the boonies I think being mobile, quiet, and well fed is the biggest concern.

The scenario is a bit unrealistic because I can't imagine being in a situation where I won't have the choice to take a service pistol and rilfe of some kind.

What do you do when a few guys come to your hide and want to take your stuff?

Have no stuff in your hide that they would want to take....

You have to roll with the hand you are dealt. In a remote area where the odds of meeting people are reduced I would choose tools that help me eat and then take measures to reduce the security concerns that my decision has produced.

What do you do when a few guys come to your hide and want to take your stuff?

You have to roll with the hand you are dealt. In a remote area where the odds of meeting people are reduced I would choose tools that help me eat and then take measures to reduce the security concerns that my decision has produced.

Do you think zombies in Boston, metro west, worcester, Manchester are going to stay put?

Plain and simple a 10/22 is a poor choice for a SHTF rifle.

So you're going to go without food, water, fuel, etc? It would not surprise me if in the worst circumstances if people get killed over toilet paper or cigarettes, either.

-Mike

I for one don't have the training, skills, or inclination to be involved in extended firefights. Nor do I have the physical traits needed to engage in effective rock-to-head combat. And I don't think either all-out combat or hand-to-hand fighting in the streets will be likely causes of a need to 'bug out'.

What I do have moderate level of skill at is bare-bones camping (possibly useful for quietly 'bugging out'), and acquiring and preparing an assortment of wild foods while on the move (I can't see hunting anything as large as a deer in a 'bug out' situation).

With those conditions in mind, and restricted to one firearm, 10/22 it is.

If I could have a slave carry all my food, water, gear, ammo, mags and stuff, I'd bring along the Savage .308, AR, AK, 870, XD45, and the trusty old Ruger single six just for fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom