Bug out Rifle

I for one don't have the training, skills, or inclination to be involved in extended firefights. Nor do I have the physical traits needed to engage in effective rock-to-head combat. And I don't think either all-out combat or hand-to-hand fighting in the streets will be likely causes of a need to 'bug out'.

What I do have moderate level of skill at is bare-bones camping (possibly useful for quietly 'bugging out'), and acquiring and preparing an assortment of wild foods while on the move (I can't see hunting anything as large as a deer in a 'bug out' situation).

With those conditions in mind, and restricted to one firearm, 10/22 it is.

If I could have a slave carry all my food, water, gear, ammo, mags and stuff, I'd bring along the Savage .308, AR, AK 870, XD45, and the trusty old Ruger single six just for fun.

If you're at all serious about it; learn.

If you're at all serious about it; learn.

That's an excellent point. I'd love to be able to afford the time/cash to do some worthwhile training.
As it is, I spend much of the 'learning budget' of time and $$ on developing skills in small scale gardening, hobby level machine shop practice, woodworking with hand tools, and trying to get the household as much 'off-grid' as possible. These are skills I figure will be more generally useful.

I think a long slow grind of economic downturns much more likely than sustained combat in the streets (or woods), and that is where I tend to focus time and $$ on learning.

It doesn't take a lot of $$$ to become a better gun fighter. Just the willingness to do so and some ammo.

SU-16c torture test

Interesting thread and write-up review of the SU-16C

For a bugout bag, having a 223 based platform that is small and folds up to be out of site , this Keltec SU-16c is interesting. Operable from the folded up position is a plus.

As the thread states, it's a BOB rifle, so I'd be looking for something lightweight and concealable ( i.e fold-up), but with adequate firepower..Something to carry with you but not too obvious.. it's not a SHTF rifle, which would either be my FAL or Garand in 308.

SU-16c torture test

Interesting thread and write-up review of the SU-16C

For a bugout bag, having a 223 based platform that is small and folds up to be out of site , this Keltec SU-16c is interesting. Operable from the folded up position is a plus.

As the thread states, it's a BOB rifle, so I'd be looking for something lightweight and concealable ( i.e fold-up), but with adequate firepower..Something to carry with you but not too obvious.. it's not a SHTF rifle, which would either be my FAL or Garand in 308.

Read the OP again.

ETA- Have you ever shot a Keltec?

Read the OP again.

ETA- Have you ever shot a Keltec?

Nope - never had the opportunity to shoot one....and don't want to purchase one just to try it out either.......still that write up points out a big improvement in the C model over the previous A and B models.

I was just stating that it sounded like an interesting option and design...for a Bugout rifle.

"Read the OP again"......oops . my bad.

I was basing my reply on the thread title for a "Bug Out Rifle"...and not on the OP post contents, which was different, asking for opinions on a "SHTF Rifle".....no wonder this thread is going in different directions...

Last edited:
I'd like to thank all of you 10/22 and Kel-Tec guys. While you are out camping, get overrun and lose your stuff the bad guys will still be fighting with inferior equipment. I humbly suggest you stock up on Para 1911s as well.

Seriously, if your plan for SHTF is to run into the woods with minimal equipment and a 10/22 you may want to re-think things a bit.

I'd say it's a toss up between my WASR 10 and one of my AR's. I figure in SHTF you're not going to be making 1000 yard precision shots so the longest I would need to reach out is maybe 300 yards in a rare instance. Most of the SHTF action would probably happen <100 yards so an AK or AR with iron sights or a red dot should be GTG.

An AR. Its light, accurate and reliable. If you are bugging out you are basically running for your life. I usually see the .22 selected because people see themselves hunting during the bugout. Bugging out isnt a jaunt in the woods. You are trying to get somewhere the only shooting you are going to do is in self defense. Here in the Northeast you are not going to be alone. There are going to be people everywhere, many in the same shape you are in but many more in worse shape. The .22 is great against a squirrel or a rabbit but I want something with a little more punch for the evil doers. If you want to hunt pack some snares.

If you guys are serious about extended time in the woods and want to hunt with a small caliber, put a Ruger Mark III hunter (or similar) in your pack. I can hit anything big enough to eat past 50 yards with mine, and that's enough reach for a .22 anyway. But plan to carry a real rifle (AR-15, AK-47, whatever you prefer) and a real pistol.

If you were 300-500 yards from a crowd of hungry refugees with 10/22's would you want to risk giving away your position?
At the far side of that range all they will see will be each others chests blowing red mist from 175 grain Match King holes.

In towards the 300 yd mark, I can make some melons explode.

OK, for those grabbing an AR, what optic and why?

I am starting to think an ACOG is in my future for an all around gun (SHTF if we are fantasizing), I just don't have much experience with them. I already have an EoTech and a 1-4x, would an ACOG give me something I don't already have?

I'd like to thank all of you 10/22 and Kel-Tec guys. While you are out camping, get overrun and lose your stuff the bad guys will still be fighting with inferior equipment. I humbly suggest you stock up on Para 1911s as well.

Yes, please, carry para warthogs. [rofl]

-Mike

I guess it comes to defining what an individual means by various terms - staying with the title of the thread - I think of 'bugging out' as a last option. It's not anything I'd plan on (prepare for, yes), and I have no plan to bug out TO anywhere. For me it means quietly retiring from a set of circumstances beyond our means of confronting, probably combined with the need to move quickly and quietly, and live in part off what we can hunt/gather. Then the plan would be to try to go back home when the situation has settled. It's not a long-term strategic plan.

In a world gone beyond going home, don't care what guns you got - you're lost.

In a sustained SHTF combat situation, of course the 10/22 would stay home. I'd be a goner anyways, so I'd only bring my slingshot... and maybe pick up some of those many rifles lying about - who knows?

OK, for those grabbing an AR, what optic and why?

I am starting to think an ACOG is in my future for an all around gun (SHTF if we are fantasizing), I just don't have much experience with them. I already have an EoTech and a 1-4x, would an ACOG give me something I don't already have?

In a word: yes. I traded in my Eotech for one and haven't looked back. I love the extra magnification at longer rang and had no problem quickly aquiring targets at 25/50 and hitting them. Like 2 mags to get used to it and I was shooting as well or better than before.

It doesn't take a lot of $$$ to become a better gun fighter. Just the willingness to do so and some ammo.

Hi Derek - I can shoot fairly well with all of my firearms, and I practice regularly - that's not the issue (and yes, I own more than just a 10/22 :). It's the concept of getting into some kind of sustained 'battle' situation that most of the replies seem to envision. I for one have no combat experience or training, and am too old to join up for a tour.
Like most anyone without combat experience, I have no idea how I would react, or how effective I would be. I have not a clue how a person of limited budget and time would get some worthwhile 'combat' training.

Hi Derek - I can shoot fairly well with all of my firearms, and I practice regularly - that's not the issue (and yes, I own more than just a 10/22 :). It's the concept of getting into some kind of sustained 'battle' situation that most of the replies seem to envision. I for one have no combat experience or training, and am too old to join up for a tour.
Like most anyone without combat experience, I have no idea how I would react, or how effective I would be. I have not a clue how a person of limited budget and time would get some worthwhile 'combat' training.

You get together with some like-minded shooting buddies or go to an IDPA match and start.
IDPA is a real good, inexpensive intro to combat type shooting.

No one opted for the crossbow like on The Walking Dead?

.22 would be a good choice for wilderness survival without transportation whereby you have to carry everything and there's no chance to resupply and it's so remote you're unlikely to run into the dudes from Deliverance. Just like Into the Wild. Of course that guy died, so maybe it's not such a good example. Plus, thinking about Deliverance makes me want to upgrade now even for that scenario.

AR15 with the ACOG--and not just because I'm a follower--that's what I got. The AR10 would be nice too but I don't have one of those and I'm thinking it would be too heavy to lug around.

Last edited:
It's the concept of getting into some kind of sustained 'battle' situation that most of the replies seem to envision.
It's not up to you if it happens or not. You have no choice in the matter. When a bad guy picks you to attack, he does not care if you want any part of it. He just does it.

I have not a clue how a person of limited budget and time would get some worthwhile 'combat' training.

Visualize - Think of a situation and see yourself prevailing in the encounter. If you imagine yourself cowering in a corner begging for your life - you'll probably do exactly that. Instead, rehearse a positive action in your mind. If 'this' happens - I will do 'that'. Train your mind to tell your body what to do. Don't dither when action is required!

I was looking at the Keltec SU16C for that purpose. Collapses and can be kept in the BOB and fires from the collapsed state. For when you're in a hurry!

My wife has one, she calls it her backpack rifle. Of course she has the SU-16-CA that collapses but can not be fired while collapsed. We're Ma**h***s [sad2]

As for me, my Bug Out rifle would be my Kriss Super V. I wish I could have a folder, but being in Mass I have mine broken down in a mid size rifle case which is aslo filled with dozens of pre ban 13 rd Glock Mags, mag pouches, Blackhawk Serpa Holsters a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. My carry gun is a second Glock 21 (except in the summer; Glock 36) so I'm good to go. One mag fits all. That case is two feet from my bed along with an ammo can filled with 45 ACP. The Kriss is a great close quarters rifle.If I lived in NH I could have a folder and a bunch of 30rd mags [hmmm] http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom