Bug out Rifle

I was looking at these just the other day and thought it would make a perfect Bug Out rifle. Love to hear feedback on anyone that might own one.

I own one and it's a good rifle. Not sure if it would be my first choice but it would be a good back-up bug out rifle. If I'm going to carry a bunch of AR mags I'm going to have one of my ARs with me, probably my Stag 2H with an Eotech.

I think the law in MA is a max of 2,000 rounds stored in the house (?) but do whatever you are comfortable with.

It is not more than 10,000 rim fire + 10,000 center fire + 5,000 shotgun in any building. Beyond that you need to get a permit or another building.

Hi All, My first post on this part of the forum. I do have a question dealing with a BO rifle. I bought a new S&W 15-22 a few weeks back. Nice rifle. If I see that things are starting to go south, what AR should I get, if I have the time, and how much ammo? I am planning on staying put, as my SO has MS and cannot walk. I am starting to pick up supplies, but we do not have much space to store. Thanks for any advice.

Opinions are like a**h***s… So here is mine.

1. Do not panic. Envisioning the end of the world is like riding a rollercoaster. It’s fun in safety of a warm home with a stomach full of food. It also allows many to buy useless tactical gear guilt free. But if you allow this entertainment to control your life, you’ll likely regret it.

2. Do not get your viewpoints from movies or other works of fiction. Those are there to entertain, not to educate. Go easy on forums. Most of it just childish bullshit which must put through the filter of reality.

3. Put on paper various emergencies and personal situations you might need to deal with. Organize these into most likely to least likely. From short term to long term.

4. Figure out what you and your loved one will need to reasonably or comfortably deal with each one.

5. Start addressing the needed previsions from most urgent to least urgent. Those items that cover many different emergency scenarios should take higher priority that those which address only one or two specific circumstances. For example, water reserve might be close to the top; water purification closer to the middle; and potassium iodide tablets near the end.

6. Do not spend too much on ammo or firearms before covering most basic needs. Owning cool guns and literally truck load of ammo is fun, but in most emergency situations those will be utterly useless. I know people who stockpiled thousands and thousands rounds for the end of the world, but do not own a fire extinguisher and their medical supply consist of few band-aids and pepto bismol.

7. Do your own research; be pragmatic and honest with yourself in choosing specific brands/models/items. For instance, some will say AK is the only way to go because it’s reliable in the mud, sand, winter, summer and after thousands of rounds without cleaning. The 7.62x39mm is a man stopper. And so on. Well, if you are staying home, the ability to function dirty is irrelevant. Within 150m 5.56x45mm will be equally devastating as 7.62x39mm and at 500m both rounds will be similarly ineffective. Some will say .308 is the only way to go because it’s the only one to devastate at 600m and beyond. Well, have you ever shot anything before at 600m? If not, why lie to yourself in thinking you’ll be able to make such shots during any emergency situation? Not to mention, how many real-world state of affairs will permit make such long shots???

8. Do not assume you will not be able to drive. Very few SHTF circumstances will prevent you and your loved one from driving to safety. Assuming you know where safety is.

9. You’d be amazed at how much shit you’ll be able to fit into your home with proper space organizing aids. Furthermore, friends in your “safety circle” might be willing to help you with some of the storage needs. Renting a storage space is always an option, all be it an inconvenient and expensive one.

Good luck.

Thanks. I thought it was less than that. Nice to know I'm not actually a criminal. [wink]

Well, I am sure you are. [laugh] There are sooo many retarded laws in this state that if you are alive – you are probably breaking one or more of them. For instance, according to MGL 131-67, if you carry 1911 an hour after sunset – you are indeed a criminal. Welcome to MA – home of the enslaved. [sad2]

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section67

THE MOST IMPORTANT RIFLE IN SHTF or TEOTWAWKI

I'll jump in again, the most important ones are the ones the others with you have, as I really would rather have two or three like-minded individuals with me!

I'll jump in again, the most important ones are the ones the others with you have, as I really would rather have two or three like-minded individuals with me!

I certainly agree with that. I also think a small group has a better chance of survival then a single person.

M14 for me
M16 for my wife
AR15 Carbine for my son
AR15 Carbine for my older daughter
Henry Youth (.22LR) for my youngest daughter.

I would like to minimize the types of ammo we'd need. To that end, I considered using another of my AR's for myself. But in the end, I feel strongly enough about having a 7.62in the mix that I could live with having the need for multiple calibers and magazines.

The .22 can be handy in certain scenarios, and at my youngest daughter's age, it's about all she could carry for any prolonged time frame.

You have a real M16? That’s cool.

I am thinking that with the stated mix of equipment, M14 will be reserved for long range duties. Thus a scope zeroed at 200y or so might be useful. If you have not done so already, I would consider building and ultralite bolt-action chambered in .308 Win. With 18” barrel and appropriate parts you should be able to keep total package w/scope around 5.5lb. At first this suggestion might seem counterintuitive – why would anyone carry bolt + AR instead of just M14? But if you think about it – you won’t need mags for the bolt or all that much ammo. Therefore you will significantly reduce total ammo + mag weight. Two 5.56 = one 308. Light AR + bolt roughly = M14. Consequently, the total carry weight will be substantially reduced and your short and long range capabilities will increase. Plus, you’ll have added benefits of not always needing to carry the bolt, not to mention ability to swap mags with your family members during heavy engagements.

This thread was good for a great laugh. On the downside, it looks like ammo will be more scarce than I originally thought. How am I supposed to resupply when all I find on the ground are bricks of 22lr and broken AKs?

If everyone could standardize on 5.56 and 9mm, it would be much appreciated.

This thread was good for a great laugh. On the downside, it looks like ammo will be more scarce than I originally thought. How am I supposed to resupply when all I find on the ground are bricks of 22lr and broken AKs?

If everyone could standardize on 5.56 and 9mm, it would be much appreciated.

for military purposes? yes

for LE, might wanna some fotay in there. [laugh] a glock fotay [wink]

all BS aside.

i'm going old school with a sword from the flea market, some ninja stars and a tight fitting leather addidas suit, one piece. haaayaaaa!

When the SHTF I'd want an AK-variant. They (along with Glock) are the most reliable firearms created. A 7.62x39mm is a man-stopper. I'd have to go with an AR-platform too, if available.

You can also barbecue with it, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST RIFLE EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
AK

Expensive rifles will become safe queens WSHTF,whereas the AK being such a POS will become glorious.

What, do you think it'll perform in any condition, anywhere in the world with better reliability than any other platform? Oh wait...nevermind...[wink]

...you guys can bitch all you want about them but I would that su16 over many of the POS hacked up AR's I see people carrying that are so "tacticool" at 15 lbs with all the crap on them. The su16 has its purpose and a place for use...

The only place for one of the SU-16 series is as a backup to an AR, stuffed in a backpack since they take the same mags.

30 miles in a day is a fun day.

You are a friggin sick freak...jussss sayin'. [smile]

Lee Harvey, you are a madman, I want to party with you!

bill+murray.jpg

Last edited:
As for me, my Bug Out rifle would be my Kriss Super V. I wish I could have a folder, but being in Mass I have mine broken down in a mid size rifle case which is aslo filled with dozens of pre ban 13 rd Glock Mags, mag pouches, Blackhawk Serpa Holsters a Glock 21 and a Glock 30. My carry gun is a second Glock 21 (except in the summer; Glock 36) so I'm good to go. One mag fits all. That case is two feet from my bed along with an ammo can filled with 45 ACP. The Kriss is a great close quarters rifle.If I lived in NH I could have a folder and a bunch of 30rd mags [hmmm] http://www.kriss-tdi.com/products.html

After the Sheeple left my house this PM I brought out my bugout case to show my cousin before he left as he'd never seen a Kriss before. I took a photo with my camera phone, not a great photo but you get the idea. That's my carry gun and mag on the rug and I have many more mags, holsters etc.

Attachments

• bugout case.jpg
    bugout case.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
If you are thinking of bugging out - and think you are going to need a rifle in .22LR for shooting rats or rabbits for food - then get a Henry Survival Rifle and stick it in your pack. Get something bigger than .22 if you think you are going to be holding off the zombies or starving liberals coming out of Boston.

At this very moment? Probably my Garand. I only have 60 rounds of 5.56 right now, but LOTS of CMP .30-06, so it all comes down to supply on hand.

If you don't want to lug a full size Garand thru the woods - you could always get one of these:

Mini-G Garand:

It's about the same length as an M1 Carbine. Put it in a plastic stock to save a little more weight - and put some AP and IT in your combat load out - and you are set to go. You also don't have to worry about stopping to pick up your mags - just leave the en-blocs behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
for military purposes? yes

for LE, might wanna some fotay in there. [laugh] a glock fotay [wink]

all BS aside.

i'm going old school with a sword from the flea market, some ninja stars and a tight fitting leather addidas suit, one piece. haaayaaaa!

That tight fitting suit is either going to scare away the golden horde - or you are going to end up on the bitch pad of some biker gangs' resident psycho:

WezFaceoff.jpg

Although I shoot the AK more often, I will probably grab my Bushmaster carbon 15. it feels like it weighs a pound and that means I can carry more ammo.

I am starting to really like my 1911 45 caliber Sig as a back up though. Less capacity but more stopping power.

Back
Top Bottom