Bug out Rifle

gun kid ^

agh, not again.
facepalm.gif

I would just use my Remington GameMaster 760 30-06 or .270 depending on how many rounds I had left after shooting looters.

Ar's are for pussies.
Over glorified BB guns.

First thing our troops asked for when they entered Iraq was a different rifle - one that would actually kill someone that was all gooned out on drugs or wearing 20 lbs of clothes - like the situation we had back in Korea.

You shoot em with a BAR 30-06 or a Browning Pump Rifle 300 Winchester Magnum - and they won't go very far after the gun goes bang!

I can't wait till SHTF. Just to watch the innnernet commandos go nuts when their internet fix is gone. And they're wicked dehydrated and starving from lugging around an 50lbs of crap they don't need.

I would just use my Remington GameMaster 760 30-06 or .270 depending on how many rounds I had left after shooting looters.

Ar's are for pussies.
Over glorified BB guns.

First thing our troops asked for when they entered Iraq was a different rifle - one that would actually kill someone that was all gooned out on drugs or wearing 20 lbs of clothes - like the situation we had back in Korea.

You shoot em with a BAR 30-06 or a Browning Pump Rifle 300 Winchester Magnum - and they won't go very far after the gun goes bang!
[thinking].

Why is everyone going to bug out, I'm not going anywhere, my toilet paper is at home.
Why in the good lords name would you want to pick up and go somewhere else when you have neighbors that hopefully your friends with and they also have weapons, the more the merrier. And as mentioned before, why go where everyone else is going if you are to "bug out", stay put and let them all go at it. If everyone else is leaving, think of all the homes you now have access to if you stay home, what's going to make you leave to begin with, Martians or maybe the Transformers are going to come and squish you. If it really is something that is going to make you leave your home, your probably dead anyway.

Ar's are for pussies.
Over glorified BB guns.

Troll, or legit?

Ar's are for pussies.
Over glorified BB guns.

It's not the gun, it's the ammo! Guns don't kill people, ammuntion does...

Would you please explain why you belive AR are for pussies as well? ty.

Why is everyone going to bug out, I'm not going anywhere, my toilet paper is at home.
Why in the good lords name would you want to pick up and go somewhere else when you have neighbors that hopefully your friends with and they also have weapons, the more the merrier. And as mentioned before, why go where everyone else is going if you are to "bug out", stay put and let them all go at it. If everyone else is leaving, think of all the homes you now have access to if you stay home, what's going to make you leave to begin with, Martians or maybe the Transformers are going to come and squish you. If it really is something that is going to make you leave your home, your probably dead anyway.

Here are a few things to think about.
-A little bit of flame and some gasoline will turn your well fortified house into a really nice campfire.
-A rifle will swiss cheese your average home from a significant distance. Concealment does not equal cover.

Ar's are for pussies.
Over glorified BB guns.

Your post is full of stupid.

Here are a few things to think about.
-A little bit of flame and some gasoline will turn your well fortified house into a really nice campfire.
-A rifle will swiss cheese your average home from a significant distance. Concealment does not equal cover.

Where are you going to run away to that doesn't have the potential of being burned down?

Does this place also magically have resistance to long range rifle fire?

Last time I checked tents out in the middle of the woods typically burn up at a far higher rate than wooden frame dwellings - typically because the people inside are freezing their asses off and burn it down themselves trying to keep warm. Fabric is also much worse at stopping rifle fire than even the typical suburban house. And there won't be much of anything to hide behind from the rifle fire after the tent is burned down - except maybe a tree.

Where are you going to run away to that doesn't have the potential of being burned down?

Does this place also magically have resistance to long range rifle fire?

Last time I checked tents out in the middle of the woods typically burn up at a far higher rate than wooden frame dwellings - typically because the people inside are freezing their asses off and burn it down themselves trying to keep warm. Fabric is also much worse at stopping rifle fire than even the typical suburban house. And there won't be much of anything to hide behind from the rifle fire after the tent is burned down - except maybe a tree.

Concealing a small shelter in the woods is a little easier than concealing a house.

Concealing a small shelter in the woods is a little easier than concealing a house.

True. But if you plan on living in shelter small enough to be concealed from all the SHTF'ers who will be roaming the woods looking for food - and a place to hide their shelter - it had better be damn small - and you will have to keep anything you plan on taking with you packed and ready to bug out with you at a moment's notice.

Because once somebody does find it - like I said: Tents burn too and fabric doesn't stop rifle fire.

I have read FerFal and a bunch of other SHTF type writers. I've also had an interest since I was a kid in reading about what happens to people when wars are waging all around them.

FerFal does not recommend bugging out to the country because he says being alone, in a house that is not close to other people - just makes you more of a target. A number of things I have read about how people survived WW2 - point out that people who retreated to their country houses or farms, typically survived just fine. Unless the war came directly thru their area. From everything I have ever read I have come to this conclusion: if you are in an area likely to become extremely sucky (like the city) then get out. But when you get out you had better have some place to go. Living in a tent or shelter in the woods isn't going to do it. I have a suburban house, with good soil and enough space to plant a garden. The house also gives me storage - for food and guns and ammo. Enough guns BTW - to arm all my direct neighbors. I am much better off surrounded by a bunch of people watching each other's backs - than out in the woods living in a tent freezing my ass off and wondering where my next meal is coming from.

Any people coming down the street with torches - are going to be dead long before they make it close enough to my house to throw it.

Have fun in your hole in the ground.

Last edited:
True. But if you plan on living in shelter small enough to be concealed from all the SHTF'ers who will be roaming the woods looking for food - and a place to hide their shelter - it had better be damn small - and you will have to keep anything you plan on taking with you packed and ready to bug out with you at a moment's notice.

Because once somebody does find it - like I said: Tents burn too and fabric doesn't stop rifle fire.

I have FerFal and a bunch of other SHTF type writers. I've also had an interest since I was a kid in reading about what happens to people when wars are waging all around them.

FerFal does not recommend bugging out to the country because he says being alone, in a house that is not close to other people - just makes you more of a target. A number of things I have read about how people survived WW2 - point out that people who retreated to their country houses or farms, typically survived just fine. Unless the war came directly thru their area. From everything I have ever read I have come to this conclusion: if you are in an area likely to become extremely sucky (like the city) then get out. But when you get out you had better have some place to go. Living in a tent or shelter in the woods isn't going to do it. I have a suburban house, with good soil and enough space to plant a garden. The house also gives me storage - for food and guns and ammo. Enough guns BTW - to arm all my direct neighbors. I am much better off surrounded by a bunch of people watching each other's backs - than out in the woods living in a tent freezing my ass off and wondering where my next meal is coming from.

Any people coming down the street with torches - are going to be dead long before they make it close enough to my house to throw it.

I don't disagree at all. And a tent in the woods is not my plan for anything more than a night or two.

The only way to truly survive SHTF is the old fashioned way: with other people. Anyone who thinks they can do it alone for any length of time is seriously deluded.

I'm with Gonzo on this one. The point I was trying to make was that if you think for a second that your average house is a defendable position in the long run, you are mistaken. A problem that is made even more difficult when by yourself. Who knows, maybe you live in a castle made of stone. Your friends will be your best means of survival wherever you end up. So make sure they don't think guns are iky.

My SHTF situation is poor. My few extra funds are going into prepping but due to life my significant other and I are usually apart. One of us in a major metropolitan area (top 5 target list) and the other is in a small city. Neither living area allows for a bunker down situation due to population densities and lack of storage. I have taken an honest view of this and decided to base my survival system around mobility. This means I am looking for standard calibers in my weapons department. So I am going with 9mm, ARs, and 12g. I hope this will allow me to either head out long range to other family, or stay local with other like minded friends.

I have FerFal and a bunch of other SHTF type writers. I've also had an interest since I was a kid in reading about what happens to people when wars are waging all around them.

Calsdad,
That is my point about neighbors and I also am willing to arm the backwatchers with some of my inventory, and there are a few. As you stated, where you going to go, maybe if your by yourself your a lot more mobile and then able to survive from place to place, but I have kids and a wife that I have to consider, and my kids are damn good shots. True a house can be made into swiss cheese, but I have turned one room into a semi fortress on the lower level with an area of steel shelter, AP proof, albeit not that big, but big enough to save our ass if people are shooting at us. And I also have my survival food and water here, and an area I can make a garden and plenty of other amenities to stay alive with. Out in the open in a tent or other temporary structure, I will be fighting a whole bunch more for that damn rucksack full of bug out gear as others are trying to kill me over it. No thanks, I'll stay put and fight it out with my friends and neighbors and If I die here, then I know that I certainly would also have died hiking it. Now if it is a nuclear blast that has leveled Boston or NYC, then it really isn't going to matter a whole lot either to get caught up in the masses fleeing and dieing on the side of a road or backwoods country from exposure or radiation burns/sickness, were all dead anyway. Bugging out may sound good, but it is a bunch of hype that the survival stores got you spending your money on, save it for water purification tabs, MRE'S and ammo/spare gun parts.

Common calibers only. 308, 5.56, 9mm, 12 ga, 22lr for pissing people off. Anything other than those...good luck.

308 is super common, and if the defication really hits the rotary blade...there will be 308 MG links ripe for the plucking.
5.56 is everywhere
9mm is everywhere
12 ga is everywhere
22lr is everywhere

I get a kick out of the "Yeah I'm gonna carry my 10mm and my 6.8, or maybe my .357sig and my 6.5", Idiots.

I get a kick out of the "Yeah I'm gonna carry my 10mm and my 6.8, or maybe my .357sig and my 6.5", Idiots.

Are they really that idiotic? If you didn't bring enough when the crap hit the fan, they're probably dead anyways, regardless of caliber. And if you have a rifle, the handgun ammo issue is somewhat moot. I used to have a G20 as an SHTF gun. I had enough ammo where if I had exhausted that supply somehow, I would have been good as dead anyways. (It would mean I had run out of rifle ammo and then was forced to transition).

The biggest argument for common calibers is resource sharing with your allies.... this whole "dead guy ammo pickup" nostrum on the whole, is funny. This isn't an FPS where the bad guys drop lots of ammo when they die.

-Mike

Are they really that idiotic? If you didn't bring enough when the crap hit the fan, they're probably dead anyways, regardless of caliber. And if you have a rifle, the handgun ammo issue is somewhat moot. I used to have a G20 as an SHTF gun. I had enough ammo where if I had exhausted that supply somehow, I would have been good as dead anyways. (It would mean I had run out of rifle ammo and then was forced to transition).

The biggest argument for common calibers is resource sharing with your allies.... this whole "dead guy ammo pickup" nostrum on the whole, is funny. This isn't an FPS where the bad guys drop lots of ammo when they die.

-Mike

Well you got me on my reasoning being a common caliber. Eventually, you're bound to group up with people....I'd say keep it common keep it simple. If I run into a group of 5, all 5 of which carry 5.56 and 9mm, and they are of no shortage of ammo, and I carry 6.8 and 10mm....and I'm low....I guess that makes me f***ed. I wouldn't be carrying common simply for pickups. I'd be carrying common because if sdoeshtf, I might be lucky enough to run into some sympathetic servicemen, lawmen, etc...all of whom use nato calibers.

Sure, I would run 10mm and 6.8 in an ideal world with r1 l1 r2 l2 up down left right mode on...i think anyone would run it....but god mode isn't on lol. I'll take potential high availability over a rare performance driven caliber. It's useless once you get low....then it's a polymer club.

Again though....if you run out, you're dead regardless, and if you run out.... you're probably in a lot more trouble than you should be, and you shouldn't be wherever you are, and you're probably going to die since you just had to dump 300 rounds down range and you still need to reload. (assuming you have 10 30rd)

If shtf, I won't be looking for places that I need to fire 300 rounds to get through.

Last edited:
I might be lucky enough to run into some sympathetic servicemen, lawmen, etc...all of whom use nato calibers.

LoL. While you are at it, why not ask the Platoon Sgt. for a back rub and some scented body oils. The world is going to hell and some 19 yo PFC or SPC is going to give you ammo?

B

Back
Top Bottom