Brand New Sigs Junk?

glockstar

NES Member
So i was reading a few comments ppl were making about the reliability of certain handguns and to my surprise the 3rd Gen Glocks and Brand New Sigs took a real pounding. Ive shot glocks for yrs and love everything about them, I am currently looking to buy a brand new Sig but now am a little put off by the idea. Can anyone explain what if anything is wrong with New Sigs and are they worth the money or should i go another route?

I love my P229. I only have about 500 rounds through it, but no complaints. Its accurate, reliable and easy to clean.

I've got a new Sig P229R, 40. Had it for about six months or so. It runs flawlessly, has no issues at all after over 1000 rounds. I found that I needed to use 165 grain ammo to get the POA and POI to match up. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

I have a friend with a new p239 maybe 500 rounds, it now has a limp trigger and was shipped back to sig for repairs. I want to see the outcome, because I like his gun very much and would like to buy one.

glad to hear it. I kept hearing that they Jam, dont always extract empty shells but the older German made ones where fine and for around $800.00 i want to know its not a P.O.S!

I went back and forth between the 228 and 229..and went with the 228(German Made.Hoffmans in CT has 9mm new ones)..not sure if they are available new in Mass...I love the 228!!

glad to hear it. I kept hearing that they Jam, dont always extract empty shells but the older German made ones where fine and for around $800.00 i want to know its not a P.O.S!

I have heard of jamming problems with the Mosquito. Everyone I know with a Sig other then this has been happy

I should add that my P229 is a German frame

Last edited:
I know you can buy certain Mods. of Sigs NIB in Mass but i dont believe they are German made. Ive always heard good things about Sigs, all this bashing is news to me. Same for Glocks, why bash a gun that for the money you cant ask any more from?

I have a Sig Sauer 229R in .40 cal here in MA and I love it. Got it this last fall and have shot a variety of ammo through it and it will eat whatever I feed it. The frames for these newer Sigs are made in Germany and I believe that the slide is made in New Hampshire.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat, so if you are thinking Sig, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have not heard this. Glocks and Sig's are both reliable. Were the Sigs not feeding correctly new out of the box? What model Sig? I have heard of two P238's with feeding problems. Seems one was corrected by using solids instead of hollow points for break in. The other was about the same story and sent to Sig only to come back saying they could not duplicate the problem. Again an ammo problem. A few FTF's within the first couple of hundred rounds I don't think I'd be too concerned over but after 500 yes.
I myself am waiting patiently for the new Sig coming out in 9mm. It is supposed to compete with the Kahr in size with more capacity. No model # yet and won't be at the SHOT show but ready a few months after.
Does NutNFancy or GunBlast.com have a review for any of the model #'s you have question on?

I'll see if I can dig up the thread (s), but there are a few about recent Sig builds with issues over on HKPro...And it was started by a Sig fanatic if I do recall...I have no experience with new models, but the German Sig 220 on loan to me is absolutely sublime...

I have a friend with a new p239 maybe 500 rounds, it now has a limp trigger and was shipped back to sig for repairs. I want to see the outcome, because I like his gun very much and would like to buy one.

I'd be interested in the outcome of that one, too. I have a 239 in 357 Sig, maybe a year old, 700+ rounds and who knows how many dry fires. No problems, no FTF/FTEs on mine.

Talk is cheap. My 226 is new and it is fine.

+1- I bought my 226 in .40 on Halloween day and have more than 2000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup using just about every ammo you can think of.

I like it so much that I am going to buy another in two tone just to use for my carry gun and keep my first one to beat the crap out of.

I was concerned before I bought it because I read some of the negative stuff on the web etc. too. That has not been my experience. I love my Sig

My P229 in 9mm was new last June, and probably has had 3-4000 rounds through it so far. One FTE (stovepipe) in that time. It has a German frame and Epping Slide. No issues to date, although I am about to send in for the short-reset-trigger upgrade, and get the double action smoothed out a little

Disclaimer: I'm an HK guy. I have a bunch of HK firearms.

However, I do own a Sig220ST in .45. I find the Sig okay, but with a strong recoil when compared to the much lighter .45 HK's I have, and that's for a relatively heavy (think stainless steel) gun. Sometimes the conventionally rifled barrel doesn't clean up easily after shooting FMJ and has required a pick to remove a bit of copper from a land. The stamped steel decocker feels cheap for a premium gun. Never-the-less it has been reliable and does feel "right" in my hand.

I have three recent production Glocks (G19, G21SF, G30SF) and they've all been great.

I know others with recent production Sigs and they've all had no trouble with them.

One thing I have noticed about recent production Sigs is that the SA triggers often tend to be on the heavy side, for whatever reason. This even seems to vary from gun to gun.

Sig's factory service has been blasphemous... that I know for a fact. I would do everything in my power to avoid having to send a gun to exeter, for any reason. It may have improved recently, but not all that long ago it was terrible. The upshot is if you get a good one it will never have to see the factory. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
First off- I favor Glocks. So anyone that says that the 3rd gens aren't reliable are... quite frankly- f'd! Both Sigs and Glocks are VERY reliable guns. Sig had some issue with their CS for a while (not sure these days) but the guns just work.

Disclaimer: I'm an HK guy. I have a bunch of HK firearms.

However, I do own a Sig220ST in .45. I find the Sig okay, but with a strong recoil when compared to the much lighter .45 HK's I have, and that's for a relatively heavy (think stainless steel) gun.

If you try a regular old P220 Alloy frame, (especially if its one of the older folded slide models) you'll find that the gun is a lot better handling. My P220ST had way too much muzzle flip, too... too much recoiling mass up top. The P220ST would have been a lot better as a 5" gun with a lighter slide. I got rid of it and kept my older alloy framed gun.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'll see if I can dig up the thread (s), but there are a few about recent Sig builds with issues over on HKPro...And it was started by a Sig fanatic if I do recall...I have no experience with new models, but the German Sig 220 on loan to me is absolutely sublime...

I have a friend that works for Sig as a design engineer. I'll ask him. It would be nice to find out it's all humdrum and BS. I had read about recent contract moves from Glocks to M&Ps but nothing more than better pricing. Both Glock and Sig are each too reputable to start putting out junk now. I'm still buying.

The stamped steel decocker feels cheap for a premium gun.
It's been like that since day one. And so has been the slide lock lever.

In fact, older SIG-Sauer slides are metal stampings with the nose brazed on and the locking insert pinned with a spring pin. Not "premium" in HK land, but good enough for the USN SEALs.

The only thing that baffles me is why the plastic guide rod? [shocked] I bought a new 229 and was surprised that it had one in it. Almost $800 on a gun and one of the most crucial parts is plastic? The first thing I did was order a Bedair stainless guide rod from Top Gun Supply. Mine has the German made frame and the NH slide on it.

The only thing that baffles me is why the plastic guide rod? [shocked] I bought a new 229 and was surprised that it had one in it. Almost $800 on a gun and one of the most crucial parts is plastic? The first thing I did was order a Bedair stainless guide rod from Top Gun Supply. Mine has the German made frame and the NH slide on it.

Why crucial? All the rod does is guide the spring. That said, I left the plastic one in my beretta and replaced it in my sig. But only because I liked the look of the silver in the field of black as you look at it.

It's been like that since day one. And so has been the slide lock lever.

In fact, older SIG-Sauer slides are metal stampings with the nose brazed on and the locking insert pinned with a spring pin. Not "premium" in HK land, but good enough for the USN SEALs.

The HK's feel like their design and production engineers got it right. The only bad is their long trigger reset, but that's endemic to DA/SA guns. The Sig feels okay, but not quite as integrated as the HK's, and it suffers the same long reset.

For what it's worth:

Sig should have won the CBP contract a few years back. Something about production quotas that Sig couldn't match that stopped them from having the contract. Was the info I got, anyway. I'd carry a Sig or a Glock anyday.

Glock's gun had wierd issues and they pulled out of the competition. Glock already has a few agency contracts.

HnK ended up with the contract.

If FAMs carry them (Sigs), that is a pretty good recomendation in and of itself. They are the only fed agency that shoots more official rounds than we do that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom