Brand New Sigs Junk?

I have three Sigs all of which have been produced in the last 2 years. A regular 229RM in 9mm (has the hollow metal guide rod), a 226 stainless in 9mm (had the plastic guide rod, replaced with a machined stainless one from Gray guns) and a GSR Revolution Target.

The two P series guns have been perfect. The trigger on the 229 is great as is. The 226 has the SRT trigger and is nice on SA but was too heavy on DA. I have to pick it up at Greg Derr's as he just did a trigger job.

The GSR is very nice and I like it but, so far, it doesn't feed Fed HST hollow points well. I should probably polish the feed ramp.

The HK's feel like their design and production engineers got it right. The only bad is their long trigger reset, but that's endemic to DA/SA guns. The Sig feels okay, but not quite as integrated as the HK's, and it suffers the same long reset.

Feel is very subjective. From a manufacturing engineering POV (and I am one) I see nothing wrong with SIG. From a feel POV, I'll take a 226 over a USP any day. The USP feels like a brick in my hands.

As far as DA/SA triggers with long resets, that may be endemic of most of them but Smith & Wesson figured out a long time ago. Pick up any second or third generation S&W auto and try the SA reset. It is 1911-short and crisp.

The the OP, the only issues I've heard anything about with new SIG's is with the P250, but I'm assuming that it's because they're still working out the issues with a new product.

The stamped steel decocker feels cheap for a premium gun.

I don't know what it is, some of the SIG's I've handled had very smooth, crisp decockers, where it actually feels good to de-cock them. And some of them feel gritty and jerky as heck. I have no idea what it is, but if I buy another SIG, it'll depend laregly on the feel of that de-cocker.

I have 4 Sig's P229-1000 rounds, P238-500+ rounds, 1911 C3-500+ rounds and not single problem. P239 NIB, just got it at last FS sale - to be tested. I also have some Glock's G30, G26, G23c, G27 all of those with 50-1500 rounds not a single problem.

I doubt that the new Sigs are junk.....they've always been a highly regarded weapon and likely will continue to be.....

I own glocks...all my recent production ones have been flawless without a hiccup.

I didn't get the memo. When did sigs become junk? [laugh]

When the factory qa fell below the floor. When they switched to plastic guide rods and when they dropped the second mag. I love them and they make great weapons. Some of the new ones however can be lemons and I have had a 229 and a 239 from different shops that both failed to work. They would fte and jam after about 4 or 5 mags. Different ammo, different mags had a friend who is a sig armor work them over and they got a little better but he said next time ask me and stay away from the new ones:) I was able to take them back to both shops and in the end the service at both the shops made up for lack of service from sig.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1245032&highlight=junk#post1245032

hk-sigman posted the "junk" comment in the thread above. It struck me as very funny because I jonesed after a Sig for many years before getting my permit and finally saving enough for one. My P226 9mm that my wife bought me at the beginning of summer has been flawless in 9mm. I have over 2000 rounds through it with not a single problem.

Where it has some FTF problems is on the .22lr conversion - I use Mini Mags and bulk .22 ammo and it will usually FTF the first round. If range time wasn't so expensive I'd sit with it and figure out what it likes, but usually I just end up switching back to 9mm and enjoying my Sig blasting holes in paper.

I love my Sig and would definitely buy another one. I have been considering a Glock, but my local guy (Hoffman's) really doesn't like them. He sells them, but also says he sells more used Glocks than anything as the return rate is high for people not really liking them. I guess opinions on brands of guns are like a$$holes - everyone has one, and they all stink.

I bought a new P220 over 9 years ago and had lots of feeding problems with it in the first 1000 rds. or so. It has been just fine ever since it got over its break in period though...which will vary some from gun to gun. So, issues can occur in new guns regardless of when they were made. I would buy another Sig and I would not sell any Sig that I currently have.

I have both a P229R and a P250 and I've fired thousands of rounds through each with no issues and I'd buy another Sig in a heartbeat.

If you stick with a classic P-series you are pretty well guaranteed to get a great pistol. It seems like every time Sig comes out with a new model, lots of people have problems with them. The GSR, the P250, 556 rifles, the Mosquito, etc. all had more than their share of "teething issues" and God help you if you got a bad one and needed to send it in to customer service!

I've always wished they had stayed with making just the P-series. It seems like once they started getting more large government contracts the quality just suffered significantly. Maybe they just didn't have enough resources, people, machinery etc. to keep up with the new demand AND quality assurance? ALong with that, the customer service went into the toilet, possibly for the same reason I expect.

I don't know. All I know is that every P-series I own and have owned in the past has been flawless....nothing else has been able to de-throne my 1997 P228 as my daily CCW.

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert - I've only shot maybe 16-18 different handguns of any type, and I've only been really shooting for a couple of years now.

That said, my experience with each of the three Sig handguns I've shot were ALL poor.

A friend's Mosquito got WELL over 1k rounds through it and still couldn't shoot a full mag w/o a FTF, FTE, or other failure. It was eventually traded for a MKIII which he loves.

The same friend bought a P239 for whatever reason - carry, just for fun, whatever - but couldn't shoot smaller than about a 6-inch "group" at 7 yards. I gave him crap for weeks about it, jokingly telling him that he just couldn't shoot a "big caliber like 9mm," and finally got a chance to shoot it...and couldn't get smaller than the 6 inches myself. Neither could either of the other two people we had try the gun. It fed fine, minus maybe 3 or 4 malfunctions over its 750 to 1000-ish round lifespan (before he traded it in), but it NEVER shot well. The very recent trade for a Kahr K40 has helped with the caliber consolidation (Glock & Kahr both in .40, no other guns in 9mm), has had no failures of any kind so far, and is shooting MUCH more accurately.

I had the same exact experience with a Sig 226 in .40 S&W that another Hopkinton member was shooting. Didn't shoot enough that I'd expect to see a malfunction, but shot large groups, and found it ergonomically worse than the P239.

I know some people love them, but the ergonomics, the additional controls, the placement of the controls, and the bad experiences I've had with them so far are steering me away from ANY Sigs, new or used.

Last edited:
IDK about the new ones, but my 1984 226 is freaking sweet!

I know all about the higher bore axis and what not compared to Glocks and M&Ps, but man, that thing is like a laser beam in my hands. I am going to like shooting IDPA with it this coming year.

Guess I'm one of the lucky majority.

226 9mm
229 40
229 SAS
220 Equinox

All flawless so far. No FTF or malfunctions whatsoever.

Same with my G17 & G19 3rd gens. Not even one issue.

Glock and sig SUCK!

If when you say glock and sig suck you mean make you spend money on shitloads of ammo to shoot them and have fun along with have out of the box accuracy and reliability that have been proven for I don't know 20+ years then yeah they suck. it seems every time someone has a problem with their personal weapon it becomes the manufacturers fault. I know i am new to this forum but am very experienced with firearms. I know that many manufacturers have their issues and will always have their issues but look at the economy sig is trying to stay profitable. a lack of customer service is inexcusable but i have never had a problem with them personally. Glock... well i have never had to have one fixed. thats all I really have to say. I do own HK as well but feel that all 3 manufacturers are on par each with benefits to the other. if you have a problem with the gun it dosn't mean the company sucks...

So i was reading a few comments ppl were making about the reliability of certain handguns and to my surprise the 3rd Gen Glocks and Brand New Sigs took a real pounding. Ive shot glocks for yrs and love everything about them, I am currently looking to buy a brand new Sig but now am a little put off by the idea. Can anyone explain what if anything is wrong with New Sigs and are they worth the money or should i go another route?

I just bought a brand new P226 in .40S&W at the Four Seasons sale about a month ago. No issues at all, in fact it was just about perfect right out of the box. It's probably my favorite pistol ever.

EDIT: You really can't look at the Mosquito as "proof" that "Sigs suck." Who really cares about flawless reliability in a plinking gun? The whole point of the Mosquito is that it's cheap to practice with. You're not going to bet your life on a Mosquito..... (And really, name ANY .22 pistol that doesn't have at least occasional FTF or FTE issues. I don't think you can....)

Last edited:
Rumors are BS.

I've spent a fair amount of time this past year shooting with a few government types (I don't have their permission to mention their organization so I won't) and a multi-Afghan/Irag tour service member who does 'special assignments' (which he doesn't talk about). They all shoot SIGs, in different calibers, and I haven't seen one malf.

I've seen Glocks shot in competition forever and they work too. Shot a stock Glock 17 at the MA State IDPA last June and did pretty well. I know several LEO's that trust their lives to them also.

I've detail stripped them and done some light customizing on both platforms and they are well thought out and designed.

All in all - I bet my life on either one (and I don't even own a SIG).

I love my Sig and would definitely buy another one. I have been considering a Glock, but my local guy (Hoffman's) really doesn't like them. He sells them, but also says he sells more used Glocks than anything as the return rate is high for people not really liking them. I guess opinions on brands of guns are like a$$holes - everyone has one, and they all stink.

Just an FYI to you, I'd be careful how much stock you put in advice given to you in a gunshop. The salesmen might simply be trying to sell you another gun that he can mark up higher over his cost than he can with a Glock, or might not understand market conditions, or simply may not be that smart.

I'm not saying anything against your FFL, or in favor of any one brand, but just that you should independently verify anything that you hear in a gunshop.

(And really, name ANY .22 pistol that doesn't have at least occasional FTF or FTE issues. I don't think you can....)

Sure. A .22 revolver. [smile]

Just kidding, you're right.

I have a reasonably new Sig P226, and in general I've been very happy with it. The only FTE's I've had were accompanied by a failure to retain the magazine as well - and was more due to aftermarket mags than the gun itself. I have had some issues with the bolt hold-open, and would recommend using a good grease (not oil) on the moving surfaces of the slide/frame. For me (working with the un-broken in gun), the grease does far better than oil in lubricating the slide, which seems to have been the issue with the bolt hold-open failures for me.

I also have a mosquito, and am quite happy with it as well. My advice for this gun is to try a variety of ammo to figure out what it likes and stick with it. Mine feeds very reliably with the CCI Mini-Mag HP rounds, but has trouble with a round-nose.

Back
Top Bottom