• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Globe: One HANDGUN a month now 15 GUNS per year?

I still want more details... does anyone know where one could read the acutual proposed law?? Phrases like Make it easier for legal gun owners leave me very concerned as to what they think is easier.

==========================================================

Proposed changes
April 12, 2007

The bill designed to combat illegal gun trafficking would:

Allow judges to consider gun possession when setting bail.

Require the state to create a database to allow gun dealers and law enforcement officials to better track guns bought and sold on the secondary market.

Develop interstate compacts for Massachusetts to better share ballistics and gun registry information.

Ban licensed gun dealers from selling more than 15 weapons to an individual in a single transaction and 15 weapons to an individual in a calendar year.

Close a provision of state law that allows people to keep unlicensed guns in their homes or businesses.

Make it easier for legal gun owners to register guns bought on the secondary market and create penalties for individuals who fail to report a lost or stolen gun.

==========================================================

Officials, others hail new gun bill
Secondary market would be monitored
By Suzanne Smalley, Globe Staff | April 12, 2007

Law enforcement officials and community leaders yesterday hailed a new proposal to stem the flow of guns to the city's streets.

Legislation filed by state Senator Jarrett Barrios seeks to make it more difficult for gun traffickers to avoid detection by creating a central database tracking guns bought and sold on the secondary market. It will also make it illegal to not report a lost or stolen gun, allow judges to consider illegal gun possession when setting bail, and ban the bulk purchase of firearms.

Barrios and other legislators will release a report on illegal gun trafficking at the State House today, alongside police officials, prosecutors, and community leaders who advocate passage of the legislation.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said the change in the bail law would be especially significant, because judges are now limited to considering primarily whether a defendant is likely to flee.

The new bail language "would make an almost immediate difference out on the streets," Conley said. "People who carry guns are inherently dangerous, and the bail statute should reflect that."

Conley, whose office helped develop the bill, also said that Barrios's plan to target the secondary gun market is crucial, because the current law requiring people to register guns they buy and sell from people other than dealers is not enforced.

If the state does a better job of tracking every time a gun changes hands, it will be far easier for police to solve shootings, Barrios said, especially because the bill will make it illegal to not report a lost or stolen gun. Now, many illegal gun traffickers tell police that guns used in crimes traced to them were lost or stolen, even when they never reported the gun missing. By requiring such traffickers to report guns lost or stolen or to face prison time, authorities will close a loophole that traffickers exploit to sell guns illegally, he said.

"There are a number of laws on the books, but they're not enforced and are difficult to enforce," Conley said.

"Too often it leaves law enforcement in the dark when they're trying to figure out where these illegal guns are coming from and how they [criminals] ended up with them."

Boston Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said Barrios's proposal to bolster law enforcement's ability to track guns bought and sold on the secondary market could improve the department's ability to investigate shootings. Last year, Boston police solved, with the identification of a suspect or an arrest, 38 percent of the 74 homicides and 23 percent of nonfatal shootings or assaults with guns.

"Any additional regulations of the transfer of guns, especially the secondary gun market, would be helpful to us . . . and could create more investigative leads," Davis said.

Only about 5 percent of guns bought and sold on the secondary market are now registered with the state, Barrios said.

The senator said that the mayor and governor's focus on more money for antiviolence programming is important, but that more needs to be done to keep guns out of Massachusetts.

"We need to focus as well on the pipeline of guns into our cities that are getting into the hands of children," Barrios said.

Charles McDonald of the state Executive Office of Public Safety, was noncommittal about his agency's position on the legislation.

"We have not had a chance at the Executive Office of Public Safety to review this final product, but we look forward to working closely with Senator Barrios in the future on this and other issues," McDonald said.

But community leaders interviewed yesterday embraced the proposal.

Lew Finfer -- director of the Massachusetts Communities Action Network, a federation of six community organizations in cities across the state -- said banning bulk sales of guns is especially important.

The state of Virginia enacted similar legislation, he said, and "it had a big impact on lessening the number of guns in circulation."

"If an 11-year old is walking through a school in Dorchester with a gun, there's way too many guns on the street," he said, referring to the recent arrest of an elementary school student who brought to school a gun he found in a yard.

James Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League, said his organization will fight the legislation despite outreach from Barrios, who has met with his group.

He said he has no problem with some of the bill's provisions, such as requiring gun dealers to do background checks on all employees, but will mobilize his membership to fight other aspects of the legislation.

Wallace said he is especially disturbed by the proposed limit on bulk gun purchases.

"The biggest problem with that is it assumes that the lawful gun owners of this state are the problem," Wallace said. "You're telling me that I cannot be trusted to buy more than one a month."

He said he also will fight any attempt to establish a database to track lawful gun owners "to help ensure the civil rights of our members are protected."

Suzanne Smalley can be reached at [email protected].

Last edited:
this time they said "weapons" not "firearms" which was stated in another thread that "firearms" means "handguns" in mass law. So does "weapons" refer to handgun, rifle, shotgun and balck powder gun?????

When it was one "firearm/handgun" per month it was looking like we could still buy as many rifles and shotguns and black powder guns as we wanted with only a 1 gun a month limit on handguns.

What does all this mean now with the way it's worded? Is this even more restrictive?

Here's the version Barrios submitted...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/185/st01/st01354.htm

There's at least on more bill submitted in the Senate and another one submitted in the House regarding "firearms trafficking". [rolleyes]

I'd love to know where he came up with this figure...

Only about 5 percent of guns bought and sold on the secondary market are now registered with the state, Barrios said.

Excellent point SKS, I changed the title. According to the link LoginName provided, it does read FIREARMS and not HANDGUNS.

The bill also states:

SECTION 3. The secretary of public safety shall require that persons issued licenses under section 122 or section 122B of chapter 140 of the General Laws be required to install and maintain security systems to keep secure firearms and other weapons and ammunition kept in connection with the operation of such licenses. Said study may include draft regulations for minimum security standards. The report of such study and recommended regulations shall be filed with the joint committee on public safety not later than December 31, 2007.

Depending on how restrictive the provision is, it could push the Dick's and Walmarts out of the firearms business in Mass. I doubt the glass case at Wally-world would suffice. Again, more details are needed.

Here's the version Barrios submitted...

I'd love to know where he came up with this figure...

Maybe because gang members haven't been sending in their FA-10s? If that's where he came up with this number, I'm sure a new law will have them registering all of their illegally purchased guns. [rolleyes]

You want to look at Barrios' Ass?

Ewwwww.

Why not? It'd be like looking down a freeway tunnel.

Last edited:
See? They haven't even been given an inch and they are already going for the mile.

I knew that bullshit about one gun a month would morph into something worse.

The new bail language "would make an almost immediate difference out on the streets," Conley said. "People who carry guns are inherently dangerous, and the bail statute should reflect that."

Notice there is no destinction here between criminals and LTC holders.[angry]

"People who carry guns are inherently dangerous, and the bail statute should reflect that."

I think these guys need a refresher course in what is taught in elementry school:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

They'll make criminals of us all...
[hmmm]

Do any of these idiots realize that the REST of the State might not be a part of Boston's problem ? Giving me more rules doesn't change anything for the better here in Marblehead.

I am getting sick of a few hundred or less felons killing each other making my freedoms evaporate.

Here are the names of the senators that people should contact to fight this bill/law of (one gun a month) for a limit of 12 a yr. which was put in by: Jarrett T. Barrios [email protected] 309 722-1650

I think shooters need to email/mail and call to be heard or we are in trouble also dealers really need to ban together on this one!! I already sent my mail off to mine and a few other senators.

Guys if we don't ban togther and speak up we are really in trouble this time!! email a few if not all of them below let them know that this bill does nothing to stop criminals just hurts us legal firearms owners and dealers don't think GOAL can win this for us without us calling and doing our part!!! There are some good parts to the bill like longer jail time and hire bails. But over all its bad for us.

NAME EMAIL ROOM PHONE
Robert A. Antonioni [email protected] 109-E 722-1230

Edward M. Augustus Jr. [email protected] 413-B 722-1485

Steven A. Baddour [email protected] 513 722-1604

Jarrett T. Barrios [email protected] 309 722-1650

Frederick E. Berry [email protected] 333 722-1410

Stephen M. Brewer [email protected] 109-B 722-1540

Scott P. Brown [email protected] 520 722-1555

Stephen J. Buoniconti [email protected]
206 722-1660

Gale D. Candaras [email protected] 213-B 722-1291

Harriette L. Chandler [email protected] 312-D 722-1544

Robert S. Creedon, Jr. [email protected]
413-C 722-1200

Cynthia Stone Creem [email protected] 416-B 722-1639

Benjamin B. Downing [email protected] 413-F 722-1625

Susan C. Fargo [email protected] 504 722-1572

Jack Hart [email protected] 109-C 722-1150

Robert A. Havern [email protected]
109-D 722-1432

Robert L. Hedlund [email protected]
313-C 722-1646

Patricia D. Jehlen [email protected] 213 722-1578

Brian A. Joyce [email protected] 413-A 722-1643

Michael R. Knapik [email protected]
421 722-1415

Thomas M. McGee [email protected] 112 722-1350

Joan M. Menard [email protected] 215 722-1114

Mark C. Montigny [email protected] 511-A 722-1440

Richard T. Moore [email protected] 111 722-1420

Michael W. Morrissey [email protected] 413-D 722-1494

Senate President Therese Murray [email protected] 332 722-1500

Robert O'Leary Robert.O'[email protected] 416-A 722-1570

Marc R. Pacheco [email protected] 312-B 722-1551

Steven C. Panagiotakos [email protected] 212 722-1630

Pamela P. Resor [email protected] 410 722-1120

Stanley C. Rosenberg [email protected] 320 722-1532

Karen E. Spilka [email protected]
511-C 722-1640

Bruce E. Tarr [email protected] 313-A 722-1600

James E. Timilty [email protected] 518 722-1222

Richard R. Tisei [email protected] 308 722-1206

Steven A. Tolman [email protected] 511-B 722-1280

Susan C. Tucker [email protected] 424 722-1612

Marian Walsh [email protected] 405 722-1348

Dianne Wilkerson [email protected] 312-C 722-1673

Wilkerson should have to exclude herself seeing as how she's a felon. I'd make the argument that she's biased.

Section 131Q. Any person: (1) who is licensed under section 122, section 122B or under section 131 or to whom is issued a firearms identification card or who has received a rifle, shotgun or firearm by trust or devise; and (2) who fails to report that a rifle, shotgun or firearm owned, possessed or under such person’s control is lost or has been stolen, and such person knows that the weapon is either lost or stolen, to the licensing authority and the executive director to the criminal history systems board within the executive office of public safety, shall be punished by imprisonment in the house of correction for not more than 2 ½ years and a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000.

No qualifiers on how soon you have to report it stolen. If it's stolen out of your house while you are at work and found before you get home to discover it stolen you're going to prison.

Section 18D. Whoever, by means of discharging a rifle, shotgun, firearm, large capacity weapon, machine gun or sawed-off shotgun, assaults another shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years.
I see no exception for self defense.

The escalating war on junk food in schools has targeted a new enemy -- that gooey, sugary, and often irresistible sandwich spread known to children everywhere as Fluff.

Outraged that his son was served peanut butter and Marshmallow Fluff sandwiches at a Cambridge elementary school, state Senator Jarrett T. Barrios , a Democrat, said he will offer an amendment to a junk-food bill this week that would severely limit the serving of marshmallow spreads in school lunch programs statewide.

``A Fluff sandwich as the main course of a nutritious lunch just doesn't fly in 2006," Barrios said. ``It seems a little silly to have an amendment on Fluff, but it's called for by the silliness of schools offering this as a healthy alternative in the first place."

Maybe Fluff eaters need to be licensed, tested, background checked, and fingerprinted.

Um... that was last year... and we seriously abused Barrios for it already. As he deserved. Try searching for "fluff" to come up with the gratuitous abuse we heaped on him. [wink]

I'm having a difficult time attempting to come up with a cogent opinion on why one gun a month is a bad thing, to my extremely anti gun state pols.

I'm having a difficult time attempting to come up with a cogent opinion on why one gun a month is a bad thing, to my extremely anti gun state pols.

because it doesn't work, VT case in point. why can't it become 1 gun a year, every 3 years? once they have the legislation in place make a few changes.

I'm dealing with Tolman and Kaprielian.

Both have this same red lettered info from project Vote-Smart and both have never responded back to my numerous emails.

REPRESENTATIVE RACHEL KAPRIELIAN REPEATEDLY REFUSED TO PROVIDE ANY RESPONSES TO CITIZENS ON ISSUES THROUGH THE 2006
NATIONAL POLITICAL AWARENESS TEST WHEN ASKED TO DO SO BY

Key national leaders of both major parties including:
John McCain, Republican Senator
Geraldine Ferraro, Former Democratic Congresswoman
Michael Dukakis, Former Democratic Governor
Bill Frenzel, Former Republican Congressman
Richard Kimball, Project Vote Smart President

Over 100 news organizations throughout the nation also urged their candidates to supply their issue positions through the National Political Awareness Test.

They are not listening and people are voting for them.

I am considering CC-ing all the other state reps when sending them emails.

Back
Top Bottom