Best 1911

Im shopping for a new 1911 and would appreciate any feedback on owners of 1911's. What are the pros vs cons on these guns ??

I have had excellent luck with my S&W1911, around 35K+ rounds and any issues I have had, were due to my fault. great gun for the money.

There is no "best" gun, or "best 1911", or "best holster", or "best car."

There are plenty of fine 1911s. I like Series I Kimbers. Wilson Combats are better than that. No experience with Les Baer. Of course, you can't get any of those new in MA.

No experience with STI or SVI. I have experience with ParaOrdnance and will never buy another. Ed Brown guns look very nice, but, of course, you can't buy them new here in MA. I don't have any experience with S&W 1911s.

If I was in the market for another 1911, I'd get a frame from Caspian and give it to a gunsmith to have him build it the way that I want it built.

There is no "best" gun, or "best 1911", or "best holster", or "best car."

There are plenty of fine 1911s. I like Series I Kimbers. Wilson Combats are better than that. No experience with Les Baer. Of course, you can't get any of those new in MA.

No experience with STI or SVI. I have experience with ParaOrdnance and will never buy another. Ed Brown guns look very nice, but, of course, you can't buy them new here in MA. I don't have any experience with S&W 1911s.

If I was in the market for another 1911, I'd get a frame from Caspian and give it to a gunsmith to have him build it the way that I want it built.

what is wrong with ParaOrdnance?

S+W are top notch, preformence center are about 2 grand they shoot nice. The base 1911 is also real nice, great trigger pull

Nothing, if you want the absolutely cheapest 1911 style pistol you can get. (Along with the attendant problems)

PO is hardly " the absolutely cheapest 1911 style pistol you can get." Ask anyone with a Norinco or Thompson (Kahr). [rolleyes]

I had 3 PO's; two of them new and only had a problem with one. It was minor and PO took care of it quickly.

Moreover, if you want a "large capacity" 1911, S&W is worthless. It doesn't make one.

This makes your options for a new-from-a-dealer-gun either a PO or an SVI. As the latter costs at least triple the former, economics will be a major, if not wholly determinant, factor.

The best 1911.

Thanks Keith, I didn’t bother running my post through spell check.

I did as M1911 suggested and if you can go that route, you can get the best 1911. At least it will be the best for you. I know mine is the best. [smile]

For an off the shelf unit, it is hard to beat the S&W models. I know several shooters who use their’s hard and they work great.
Good luck on your quest.

Oh BTW, it will just be your FIRST 1911. [wink]

I did as M1911 suggested and if you can go that route, you can get the best 1911. At least it will be the best for you. I know mine is the best.

Mike - remember, he's looking for his FIRST 1911. The time and expense of a custom gun are probably not warranted at this point, especially when he has not specified a particular use and may not even have decided on one.

For a single-stack, S&W is a good choice. For a double-stack, PO is the cost-effective option.

If he is, he never said so....

Mike - remember, he's looking for his FIRST 1911. (snip)

Really? [wink]
I Quote;
Best 1911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im shopping for a new 1911 and would appreciate any feedback on owners of 1911's. What are the pros vs cons on these guns ??
Unquote.

Really? [wink]
I Quote;
Best 1911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unquote.

Quote/unquote indeed.

Who but a newbie to 1911's would ask such a question? [rolleyes]

I recommend sticking with the tried and true Smith and Wesson 1911 here in MA. The warranty and customer service are second to none and there is a fair variety available. You can go basic for reasonable money or go Performance Center for substantially more cash. Keepin mind that the SW1911 is not a "traditional" design as it uses an external extractor. This has no bearing on the reliability or operation of the pistol but some prefer a more original configuration.. I like my SW1911s. I have three of them.

I agree that I have heard many un-flattering opinions about POI. Enough to keep me away. But I do question the opinion that a Norinco 1911 is crap. I've heard nothing but great things about them. Granted they are a chinese clone, not a competition shooter and no longer available but if I could find one at a reasonable price in Mass I'd jump on it! Just as I'd jump at a RIA by Armscor if they could ever pass the AG requirements (already on the EOSP's list). I'd love their compact version.

I agree he did ask for the "Best 1991" but this thread has gone on to compare a $400 1991 style pistol to $2000 or $3000 custom versions. Too broad a question to start this conversation.

I love my S&W 1911, it's a real sweet shooter. You can buy a PC one that's set up nice also, pricey though.

I also like the Para LDA's, I haven't shoot one yet, but dry fireing it in the store I love the feel of the trigger.

I also like the S&W M&P 45.

I my be trading my M&P 40 for one of those. I do not like the MASS 10 LB trigger and I was told today that the M&P 45 with the safety should be coming out with the 6.5 LB trigger. I'm going to try and make it over to the Shooting Center this week to find out for sure.

I would not hesitate to buy Para Ordinance again and again. My ParaCarry has been flawless...I think like any gun, folks get a lemon and all hell breaks loose. I have read about issues with Smith and Wesson 1911's as well and would still buy one with confidence. I read horrifying threads about Springfield Armory M1A's and yet purchased one anyway and I'll be damned - it runs like a top. My Para is hardly a "budget gun", runs beautifully and is surprisingly accurate. I think you need to define your budget, define your purpose, do some reading and purchase accordingly. If I had a lot of money to toss down on a 1911, I'd likely go shopping with Scrivener... [smile]

I love my new S&W scandium commander so far. I wish S&W would get into the smaller 1911 market also. I think they could do a CCO configuration (commander slide on an officer frame) pretty easily. It's not like going to the shorter slide where they have to do a bunch of engineering to make it reliable. Just chop the bottom off the grip and you're good to go.

I love my new S&W scandium commander so far. I wish S&W would get into the smaller 1911 market also. I think they could do a CCO configuration (commander slide on an officer frame) pretty easily. It's not like going to the shorter slide where they have to do a bunch of engineering to make it reliable. Just chop the bottom off the grip and you're good to go.

Big 2nd on both counts. I'd like a CCO 9mm if possible.

Back
Top Bottom