Beaver problems

kiver

NES Member
I have a friend that has a beaver problem that is ruining her property and I was curious if I could legally hunt them. My wife wants the pelts and my friend wants her property back. Can I use a high power air gun as this may be with in the 500ft of a dwelling? The MA abstracts suck for information

Thanks

(e) there is NO open hunting (i.e., shooting) season for the taking of beaver, fisher, mink, muskrat, and river otter. These species may be taken ONLY by trapping.

Guess this answers my question

an air riffle wont do jack to a beaver. A friend of mine "that will go nameless" had a similar problem and it took multiple hits from a .22 at about 30 yards to drop the thing.

So...you have a lady friend who has a beaver problem. Hmm... [wink]

Sorry, I know...this is 5th grade humor but I couldn't help it.

Well, considering at this moment the thread is under one titled, "Can anyone ID these nuts?" I think you can be excused. [smile]

You most definitely cannot LEGALLY hunt beavers. You can only take them with two types of traps (cage, or Bailey (sp?) traps during open trapping season.

Any other time of the year, IF (big BIG IF) the beaver is threatening public safety (flooding the road and/or their septic system or drinking well matters, but just a flooded yard/basement, or downed trees don't count), then you can apply to the local town's board of health (not conservation commission) who will come out & tell you can pay a PAC agent to use body-hold type traps during a ten-day permit, which can be extended once or twice.

MassWildlife's website has all the details.

"I swear, officer! It was coming right AT me! Mutha-effah was going to kill me!"

I know it's a tad arrogant on my part, but if a beaver is threatening my home, the beaver goes. Not that I expect to have this issue where I live, but I fully sympathize with people affected by them.

You can't, as other have said, legally hunt beaver (except in nightclubs). Do you have close neighbors, by the way?

"I swear, officer! It was coming right AT me! Mutha-effah was going to kill me!"

I know it's a tad arrogant on my part, but if a beaver is threatening my home, the beaver goes. Not that I expect to have this issue where I live, but I fully sympathize with people affected by them.

You can't, as other have said, legally hunt beaver (except in nightclubs). Do you have close neighbors, by the way?

I don't think I would have this problem at my house.

Should have said this friend is my wife's friend

She is not a friend I would go to jail for

No, she is not hot

I dunno. The pioneers couldn't have been lugging around boxes. Didn't they use wire snares for beaver?
Most of the beaver trapping was done by Indians. They actually didn't trap them. They would walk around the side of the river banks hitting the ice with a stick, which had a bone on the end of it. They could tell from the sound when there was a beaver channel under the ice. They would then cut a hole and stick a different stick, which was long and bended at the end, into the hole and pull the beaver out alive. They also had several variations of this that included scaring beavers, and then cornering them.

now a days people mostly use snares and conibear traps. People also use longspring leghold traps as well. You can catch beavers in cage traps and bailey or hancock traps as well, but those can be heavy and large to carry around.

I've got a Hav-A-Hart trap that could probably fit a beaver. Just clean it up before returning to me and it's yours.

Just to sit on while you watch the beaver destroy your wife's friend's property, of course. Because MGL forbid we should look out for ourselves at the expense of cute woodland creatures.

Snares under ice work very well in states that allow them. Foot holds and Body grippers (conibears)are the best to use. The box trap is not very effective, I have tried them, waste of time and money. Bailey and Hancock are as dangerous to the user as to the beaver and very expensive.

Now that I live in New Hampshire I don't have a problem as which trap to use. The Folks of MasSucKchusetts got what they voted for. Let that state flood.

I hear you, and what pisses me off more is that when you are able to use conibears during the off season under permit, you can't do anything with the beaver pelt or castor glands.

The whole law leads to people just breaking the it, and not just people, but towns as well. I'd just like to run a trap line under ice with conibears, and you can't even do that.

Back
Top Bottom